Benq XL2411Z: Achieving 144hz refresh rate on Macbook Pro in Bootcamp?

eleven

I'm not sure if I am posting this in the wrong forum or maybe this is a combination of two forum topics (eGPUs and displays) but here it goes:

Basically I wanted a external monitor to run on my 15'' mid 2014 macbook pro (no integrated graphics, only iris pro 5200) because I am in the works of making an eGPU for it. I decided to go with the Benq XL2411Z because it seemed like a well rounded monitor and it had a 144hz refresh rate.

Now that I've started using it, I have been unsuccessful in achieving anything higher than 60hz. I've been told that if you are running OSX that it is impossible because that is a limit set by apple; however, I have seen people say that they are able to get the 144hz on Windows. So far I have had no such success. I had a HDMI cable connected, then read that in some cases HDMI will not be able to achieve 144hz. So I tried a DVI cable via the mini display-port to DVI adapter, but that did not solve the problem either.

A lot of people on other forums have mentioned that they are able to fix this by simply opening their Nvidia control center; however, because I don't have dedicated graphics, all I have is the 'intel integrated control center' which isn't very helpful. The graphics card I am planning on attaching is the evga gtx 960 so I will have to download the drivers for that later (once I get all my parts) but I was wondering if I am missing something here?

tl;dr: 1) Do I need a DVI cable to get 144hz or can I achieve 144hz through HDMI? 2) Is it possible to get 144hz without having nivida control center?

Thanks!

Nvm I managed to figure it out. I needed to have a mini display port to dual dvi because the single dvi-d was not sufficient for 144hz. No nvidia control center required. After plugging in the dual dvi adaptor the 144hz option popped up. The screen is suddenly brighter though...