OFFICIAL: M17x-R3 Benchmarking Thread

running memtest v3.5b (instead of 4.something like before) since 1:26 with 16gb and so far no errors. i'm puuuzzled!! O.o got around 3 hours of sleep, woke up in the middle of the night, switched the ram sets, startet memtest, fell back asleep haha ^^

btw @mw86 nothing to feel bad about, i really apreciate your help bro!

---

I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?4bz1la

its no problem bud... but at this point other than getting you into 1600mhz... I havent really helped... any time though Deadbydawn. I hope we figure something out. Im going to say if that older version was clear on 16gb 1600mhz maybe load up that game now or one of those demos. You havent seen any errors in the memtests....

well, no worries, thx bud! =) i let it run for almost 6 hours with 16 gb now and no probs. hmm, will try some demos afterwards. will post back to you!

---

I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?gmdg0g

Cool goodluck my friend if no problems maybe i can help diagnose bond and half life with you perhaps its a compatability issue which needs a workaround.

Deadbydawn check that youve loaded all these at this link... You may have directx download it anyway... For classic games and for my Half Life 2 Episode 1 i had to load them and old versions of directx to get it to work.... You might notice files of directx install where you may have thought since windows 7 is dx11 that all is included... Well your in IT but others might not realize for these older games how much classic patches and files still apply in windows 7

http://forum.techinferno.com/pc-gaming/323-you-need-these-trouble-free-gaming.html?highlight=trouble+free+gaming

All of those are pretty important even on windows7 the .netfx and openAL especially load em all :) used to play half life and a version of splinter cell only would load if those were installed... Ughh gamers have it so complicated on PC especially older games... i have a game meant for 95 or 98 and its interesting coming up with or finding workarounds... Some need very specific tweaks to gpu options just for launching that game... I hope you come back with good news bud... if you get a chance try loading all of these and seeing if it fixes bond and half life...

are you on gpu drivers others have had no probs with?

Edited by mw86

yah i know allabout those probs haha ^^

now what i get some times in games lately, is the following: suddenly, the screen seems to be split in half, whilethe image in it is shiftet. c2e69f6c-1806-48bb.jpg

c2e69f6c-182e-34cc.jpg

it will stay like that until i reboot.

the driver i'm on is this one:

c2e69f6c-1880-3774.jpg

any idea?

---

I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?fkgtns

maybe its the driver from the beginning as it could cause probs in bond and half life too... You could try 12.1 or 12.2 Nando and SVL7 just posted them :) never seen that issue unless vsync is disabled... not sure bud. I think we need another m17x user to compare notes on driver versions :) i ran 6970m's great on latest whql 12.1 catalyst. You can try Radeon Pro and make profiles for each game that has issues and try various tweaks... its one kick butt program.

One thing i can think of could be combo of vsync and crossfire render method... Ie scissor is one etc... id see if changing any of that helps.... ive seen some games not well made for crossfire do strange things and adjusting crossfire render method changed that for me.

Edited by mw86
  • Thumbs Up 1

maybe its the driver from the beginning as it could cause probs in bond and half life too... You could try 12.1 or 12.2 Nando and SVL7 just posted them :) never seen that issue unless vsync is disabled... not sure bud. I think we need another m17x user to compare notes on driver versions :) i ran 6970m's great on latest whql 12.1 catalyst. You can try Radeon Pro and make profiles for each game that has issues and try various tweaks... its one kick butt program.

One thing i can think of could be combo of vsync and crossfire render method... Ie scissor is one etc... id see if changing any of that helps.... ive seen some games not well made for crossfire do strange things and adjusting crossfire render method changed that for me.

thx buddy, i installed the new drivers and made sure to have all of what you posted me before installed. will check now :)

i don't have crossfire as i got the r3, i will see how it's behaving now. i also noticed that i had the 6990 oc'd to 805 / 1200. i went to 795 / 1195 now. might have also been a factor ;)

something else: i probably got a grain of sand between the keyboard and the screen of my m11 and have two scratches on the plastic cover of the display now. there is nothing to "fill up" the scratches to make them less visible, is there? it's not that it's less functional now, but i am a lil bitch when it comes to scratches hahaha what would you do? ^^

thx buddy, i installed the new drivers and made sure to have all of what you posted me before installed. will check now :)

i don't have crossfire as i got the r3, i will see how it's behaving now. i also noticed that i had the 6990 oc'd to 805 / 1200. i went to 795 / 1195 now. might have also been a factor ;)

something else: i probably got a grain of sand between the keyboard and the screen of my m11 and have two scratches on the plastic cover of the display now. there is nothing to "fill up" the scratches to make them less visible, is there? it's not that it's less functional now, but i am a lil bitch when it comes to scratches hahaha what would you do? ^^

I used my 6970m at 822-1100 to 822-1125... 6990m has more shaders so you core clock is better lower than mine was and mem i think is kind of high and likely source of error... 1215mhz mem was my bench range... Id drop a 100mhz if i were you. But besides that in this kind of testing if your checking if your ram runs no probs in a game you should run stock gpu then when your sure reenable gpu overclock... you cant find fault when there is variable a,b and c.... so its makes sence when you enabled 1600mhz and crashing occurred when 1333mhz showed none... its because of the gpu overclock... I was using ICD on my vram and on all other areas sponges was used had max of 76c in any game over 12-18 hours on BF3 and Skyrim on Ultra... even if temps are fine i found our vram for gaming loads will show errors like youve been saying at 1200mhz its only good for benching at those ranges and the vram could get damaged quickly if using it for long gaming sessions like that.

Should be easy set 1600mhz and stock gpu game if no probs enable gpu overclock and lower it until you find stability over hour long gaming sessions... i had a place i read of common errors from gpu overclock if i find it ill post link. Dots are common to core too high, large black missing textures and other stuff are common for too high a vram overclock. Youll be up and running in no time :)

I guess the scratch id feel the same way bud. Do you have accidental coverage? That covers it if so. Otherwise maybe look for a product for glass scratches and apply that like you said one that fills crack with a clear filler... :( sorry my friend.

• Thumbs Up 1

so i ran some prime95 yesterday and it all passed running @800MHz. did some gaming and had no problems, except sometimes f.e.a.r.2 (i know...old) had a lag of a split second and then after a a while again. darkness 2 no problem either, only this split second lag one in a while.

today the 2 sets of hyperx 1600 arrived and i took pics of the still unopened boxes. the numbers are silly again ^^

c2e69f63-01b8-4b87.jpg

c2e69f63-01c2-e9c9.jpg

edit: i set the memory clock of the gpu to 1150. laging solved :)

Edited by deadbydawn

I used my 6970m at 822-1100 to 822-1125... 6990m has more shaders so you core clock is better lower than mine was and mem i think is kind of high and likely source of error... 1215mhz mem was my bench range... Id drop a 100mhz if i were you. But besides that in this kind of testing if your checking if your ram runs no probs in a game you should run stock gpu then when your sure reenable gpu overclock... you cant find fault when there is variable a,b and c.... so its makes sence when you enabled 1600mhz and crashing occurred when 1333mhz showed none... its because of the gpu overclock... I was using ICD on my vram and on all other areas sponges was used had max of 76c in any game over 12-18 hours on BF3 and Skyrim on Ultra... even if temps are fine i found our vram for gaming loads will show errors like youve been saying at 1200mhz its only good for benching at those ranges and the vram could get damaged quickly if using it for long gaming sessions like that.

Should be easy set 1600mhz and stock gpu game if no probs enable gpu overclock and lower it until you find stability over hour long gaming sessions... i had a place i read of common errors from gpu overclock if i find it ill post link. Dots are common to core too high, large black missing textures and other stuff are common for too high a vram overclock. Youll be up and running in no time :)

I guess the scratch id feel the same way bud. Do you have accidental coverage? That covers it if so. Otherwise maybe look for a product for glass scratches and apply that like you said one that fills crack with a clear filler... :( sorry my friend.

nah, i didn't purchase it from dell directly, but through a reseller... i talked to dell, it will (would) cost me nearly 600$ to have the display exchanged...i suddenly don't find these minor scratches too disturbing anymore ;)

so i ran some prime95 yesterday and it all passed running @800MHz. did some gaming and had no problems, except sometimes f.e.a.r.2 (i know...old) had a lag of a split second and then after a a while again. darkness 2 no problem either, only this split second lag one in a while.

today the 2 sets of hyperx 1600 arrived and i took pics of the still unopened boxes. the numbers are silly again ^^

c2e69f63-01b8-4b87.jpg

c2e69f63-01c2-e9c9.jpg

edit: i set the memory clock of the gpu to 1150. laging solved :)

despite the wrong numbers on ram which i guess isnt going to matter (you have pic now keep them with each other as the same pairs) looks like your all set now. Yeah vram did that to me after couple hours straight 1150 was too high for me too. But glad its finally playing nice. So you can return the original set of hyperx right for refund or exchange of those other pair? Yeah $600 for the scratch they can keep that :/ glad your resolved now my friend. Now get in there and game Deadbydawn :) im really happy you finally have things in order seemingly :)

despite the wrong numbers on ram which i guess isnt going to matter (you have pic now keep them with each other as the same pairs) looks like your all set now. Yeah vram did that to me after couple hours straight 1150 was too high for me too. But glad its finally playing nice. So you can return the original set of hyperx right for refund or exchange of those other pair? Yeah $600 for the scratch they can keep that :/ glad your resolved now my friend. Now get in there and game Deadbydawn :) im really happy you finally have things in order seemingly :)

well, it all works super sweet with the old ram ;-) i sent the new ones back. don't have any probs...don't ask me ^^ as for the m11x... i sold it and ordered a new one. hahaha ^^ again, don't ask me.... ;-)

post-1903-14494992818116_thumb.jpg

yeah i lowered the mem clock to 1120 now. will do some more gaming today :D thx soooo much for your help all the time bud @mw86!!!!!!

• Thumbs Up 1

well, it all works super sweet with the old ram ;-) i sent the new ones back. don't have any probs...don't ask me ^^ as for the m11x... i sold it and ordered a new one. hahaha ^^ again, don't ask me.... ;-)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3695[/ATTACH]

yeah i lowered the mem clock to 1120 now. will do some more gaming today :D thx soooo much for your help all the time bud @mw86 !!!!!!

Your welcome anytime. Glad to hear all is well my friend and congrats on buying another M11x thats really cool :)

• Thumbs Up 1

Your welcome anytime. Glad to hear all is well my friend and congrats on buying another M11x thats really cool :)

thx dude :)

yah it just came today :) swapped the hd with the old one, packed the old one up and now it's waiting for the auction to end :)

going to london for the weekend, that's cool, as now i can take the 11x with me :) always need an alien around ;)

post-1903-14494992818779_thumb.jpg

Edited by deadbydawn

great that sounds cool. Gaming on the go must be cool on M11x :) btw man nice Tats :) i only got one :P have fun in London that sounds really awesome i'd love to see London :)

yeah it is! i love gaming on the plsne! forgot my vita though..that would have been cool too!

hehe, thx dude! watcha got?

london is great, haven't been since a few years..already spent almost all of my money on horror stuff snd zombie/alien shirts ;)

---

I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?irou1d

old faithful Vita will be waiting for you when you get back. Buying cool shirts will get ya lol. My tat is just the basic Godsmack Sun in red with a Celtic Knot in the center of that. Have fun my friend.

• 2 months later...

It's been hella quiet here, so:

Here we go, I've hit the upper limit of my GPU @1.1v I get crashes any higher at the same voltage and with higher voltages I get lower scores at the same clock speeds anyways here's the result. I was hoping for that fabled 7k but I guess we will have to wait for better drivers:

AMD Radeon HD 7970M video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-2920XM Processor,Alienware M17xR3 score: P6951 3DMarks

captureuef.jpg

Pushing the CPU to 4.6Ghz doesn't really change the score. I can boot 4.7Ghz when my CPU has warmed up as well :)

• Thumbs Up 1

interesting result man! @mw86 great effort!

had been really busy for a while, but now i'm back again :) i'm going to update the drivers on my r3, i'm still on catalyst 12.3, driver package version 8.95, is there any recommendable new driver?

Great work Widezu... Impressive results. You are very good at benchmarking Widezu. 10.7K physics is right where sandy XM should be anyway. Congrats on the nearly 7K overall on a single mobile gpu.

Deadbydawn thanks great to see you back here since your trip.

• Thumbs Up 1