OFFICIAL: M17x-R3 Benchmarking Thread

Just proving it can be done. The 4.5Ghz 30k Vantage CPU score barrier has been broken. Dell are coming tomorrow with my new 580m GTX (3rd one LOL!) and I look forward to rocking out and maybe breaking that 21k overall mark :D
For that you need 19k on the GPU...

Just proving it can be done. The 4.5Ghz 30k Vantage CPU score barrier has been broken. Dell are coming tomorrow with my new 580m GTX (3rd one LOL!) and I look forward to rocking out and maybe breaking that 21k overall mark :D

i knew you could do it. You've been running with the big dogs :P way to go Widezu youve got one of the fastest M17x R3 out there :D for purposes of seeing what your chipcan support if you reference my 2920xm chart it may help make quick test easier since i show what flex etc supports what... Start high on flex and drop it from whatever overclock range you try... That is if you wanted to see if the chip supports over 4.5ghz not talking gaming or 8 thread just in general :) maybe you can get to 4.9ghz easily :) wonderful bench score.

Deadlybydawn nice congrats switching cards was indeed a very worthwile endeavor. Looking good on overclock my max was 848-850 core ever and 1215 mem... My 5870m's i had were sexy Im sure Stamatisx agrees they kick ass. Mem i got easily to 1235 on them and since they supported overvolt... DR650SE got his to over 1ghz core... Must be world record a 1ghz last gen mobile gpu FTW!

• Thumbs Up 1

Nice... great run! What about some 3dM11?

For that you need 19k on the GPU...

And for that you simply need some voltage and low temps ;)

With 3DM11, the scores are hardly affected by CPU (Physics) speed. My last run was around 4800 and another run was similar but the CPU score was way down. It doesn't make any difference. However I am happy to say that @4.4Ghz the 10k physics score in 3DM11 can be broken.

@mw86 My settings were 960 priplane/120amps, 99w TDP with short limit disabled, 10flex. It does the job for what I want :D

• Thumbs Up 1

With 3DM11, the scores are hardly affected by CPU (Physics) speed. My last run was around 4800 and another run was similar but the CPU score was way down. It doesn't make any difference. However I am happy to say that @4.4Ghz the 10k physics score in 3DM11 can be broken.

@mw86 My settings were 960 priplane/120amps, 99w TDP with short limit disabled, 10flex. It does the job for what I want :D

nice Widezu those settings should be stable and cool. On my stress testing i got 44/44/43/43 300tdp 300 tdc stable on 0 flex and the bump to 44/44/44/44 took about 5 flex for 3 core and 4 core should be close to the same so at the most you might drop 5 or less flex give better temps. Your benches if you can continue staying cool as you are vantage and 3dmark11 can be run closer to 4.5ghz at that flex :) if it works sweet i second that lets see some 3dmark11 youve got one nice single gpu score no doubt... Got advice for fellow R3 owners :)

Widzu hows it feel having such a fast setup?

• Thumbs Up 1

Feels great owning a laptop that is PORTABLE and can beat many decent desktop setups out there. I would run some more benches but currently my GPU is really really bad. Terrible sample and bad overclocker. I've asked Dell for a new one and it has been approved but they are out of stock :( Maybe they won'y stock any more but hook me up with a nice 675m :D

I'll swap my 6990M for your poor 580M? :)

@mw86 Me and widezu need ~ 0 Flex and 880 Priplane for 44x, 10 Flex and 930 Priplane for 45x

I tried 16/17 Flex and 1000 Priplane for 46x but I could not do a CPU Vantage run without a thermal shutdown.

that sounds more like it ;) nice work you too R3 needed some XM owners like yourselves to pave the way :) your flex can go slightly lower if cooler or it may need higher if someone else isnt running as cool as you two were during that testing. Same goes with watts if it running hotter and using more volts to stay stable... The required watts will need to be upped a little. And finally just the same Amps need to be higher as heat is raised. So one thing thats needed more than the rest are the amps as they hold back an overclock the most and it doesnt hold back at all with high amps set... I wrote in 2920xm post about two types of overclock limits we impose to keep and overclock stable but productive. You guys are doing awesome. The type you both are using is one where you set higher handling than necessarily stable if it were not limited... You guys are using the 99 watts and a certain amp/primary plane. Meaning you see an accepted and purposeful drop in speed as extreme loads are applied mainly 8thread... Otherwise you see full speed. Thats good because where in the next method you wouldnt run those higher speeds but do in this method and the cpu drops in a safe range as planned. Now a second type is where you use the multis max to be lower than or equal to the max speed you can run under worst heat possible so like 300 watt and 300 amp at 0 flex limiting the multis to 44/44/43/43 makes sure it never needs over the 0flex but can run those speeds even under a load of say prime95 and intel burn test.... Something the first overclock would run at a lower speed because 99 watts at 930 or 1000 primary plane will only get so far. So for benching those ranges you mentioned are good for using short term benches like the vantage and 3dmark11 but as heat rises and 8thread load over time its bound to drop... So its all in what your goal is. You guys want to run wprime 1024 use similar speeds you use for vantage and 3dmark11. If you want to get high wprime 32m score you need the 8thread to be higher but only for under 10secs... These chips are good for 5secs on 32m test lower if your real good... I have yet to get 5secs even but im giving a range... You need 4.8 -4.9ghz quad for it and only for those 5 secs so temps arent like 1024m... So the required flex to get to 4.8-4.9 is anywheres from 21-44 flex depending on your sample. Youll need higher watts than your using and very well may need more amps... If the speed drops during test you need more amps and or watts. 170 watts should be fine you could try 170tdp and 170 tdc... if you want 32k vantage cpu you need to be around 4.8ghz 8thread. If super pi is the test boot your comps via no hyperthreading and 1 active core via the bios that will allow for your fastest cpu single core speed. Youll need to start with the flex for the super pi at atleast what you got 4.8-4.9ghz working on... My first 2920xm oem sample 1 did super pi at 5090mhz :) its up to you guys to see what they can do... From start they all have same potential its up to you to unlock it :P or just leave it how you have it a game on my friends.

holy crap, i'm an it technician, but reading the above post makes me feel like i looked for a cooking-forum and accidentaly landed here haha ;) ^^

---

I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=47.581058,7.587318

btw congrats on these awesome benches!!! that's insane =D

---

I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=47.581070,7.587338

holy crap, i'm an it technician, but reading the above post makes me feel like i looked for a cooking-forum and accidentaly landed here haha ;) ^^

---

I am here: Google Maps

btw congrats on these awesome benches!!! that's insane =D

---

I am here: Google Maps

Lol what are you saying im baking cupcakes here :P i dont know about that but i get baked :P

very nice benches for sure :)

Do you work as a contracted tech or at a firm? Any field specifically or just all IT?

Edited by mw86

Lol what are you saying im baking cupcakes here :P i dont know about that but i get baked :P

very nice benches for sure :)

Do you work as a contracted tech or at a firm? Any field specifically or just all IT?

haha, my fiancee bakes cupcakes like a boss (realy does)! i used to bake the green stuff, too, but then i took an arrow to the knee ;-)

well, i used to work for a bank, then i changed to jet aviation (private plane pimpin') to work as a system engineer and now i'm working for a company which is working with oil, producing the pavement stuff to pave roads and highways etc. with, and also owns a ton of gas stations.

i used to do the support here and also server tasks, then i was pushed into sap support, which i didn't like too much. then i had them hire someone for the first level support and also for the sap support, so i could pick the things i want to do. now i'm doing server & network maintenance, some second level support and sap customizing. i'm also into system optimizing a lot.

haha, my fiancee bakes cupcakes like a boss (realy does)! i used to bake the green stuff, too, but then i took an arrow to the knee ;-)

well, i used to work for a bank, then i changed to jet aviation (private plane pimpin') to work as a system engineer and now i'm working for a company which is working with oil, producing the pavement stuff to pave roads and highways etc. with, and also owns a ton of gas stations.

i used to do the support here and also server tasks, then i was pushed into sap support, which i didn't like too much. then i had them hire someone for the first level support and also for the sap support, so i could pick the things i want to do. now i'm doing server & network maintenance, some second level support and sap customizing. i'm also into system optimizing a lot.

cool so do you like optimizing you Alienware too? Its amazing a stock system when optimized can score way higher in benches all stock :) seems if you do all that first and the overclock we are all set then :) youd be surprised how many services dont need to run in backround in windows something like 40 services or so... You should see maybe 30-50 processes etc most systems recieved from factory i find 70-100 processes atleast in task manager... Cpu utilization goes way down once you tell a bunch of services to launch manually and not automatic upon system start.

sounds quite exciting your job always new stuff to deal with :) hows your gpus clocking now whatg was max you got them to now?

cool so do you like optimizing you Alienware too? Its amazing a stock system when optimized can score way higher in benches all stock :) seems if you do all that first and the overclock we are all set then :) youd be surprised how many services dont need to run in backround in windows something like 40 services or so... You should see maybe 30-50 processes etc most systems recieved from factory i find 70-100 processes atleast in task manager... Cpu utilization goes way down once you tell a bunch of services to launch manually and not automatic upon system start.

sounds quite exciting your job always new stuff to deal with :) hows your gpus clocking now whatg was max you got them to now?

yeah! yeah exactly! i'm atm checking on which services are really not used on a gaming system. like which services someone who only uses the system soley to game can disable, without running into any problems. i plan on putting the list up after it's all done. can take a moment though.

yeah it's quite interesting, of course there's crap to do, but that's with every job i guess haha

i didn't get to do any more tests since. but that's okay, since today the ICD24 arrived, i will do a repasting tomorrow and then i will check further. :)

• Thumbs Up 1

so i repasted the gpu...afterwards the system showed a black screen..reinstalled windows and did some tests, also with the support on the phone. conclusion: 6990 dead, awaiting a new one for tomorrow if they're in stock.. these cards die like the flies ^^ :(

---

I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=47.581056,7.587328

It's highly unlikely that the card is dead... I guess you didn't remove the card for repasting, nevertheless try reseating it.

Also if it's really dead then you probably killed it... Did you do a power drain before opening the system?

It's highly unlikely that the card is dead... I guess you didn't remove the card for repasting, nevertheless try reseating it.

Also if it's really dead then you probably killed it... Did you do a power drain before opening the system?

yeah i did removing the card before the repaste. also i did do a power drain before (i always do). yeah i must have killed it somehow, but i can't see why. i'm not a carpenter, i'm an technician, and i can't really see what i've done wrong. strange stuff!

Don't they send out refurbished cards?

I read somewhere that spare parts are never brand new.

Besides, these cards are pretty robust. I've been pretty forceful with mine, never had a problem. Could be the static on your hands?

Are you using the correct backplate?

Good amount of thermal padding?

Don't they send out refurbished cards?

I read somewhere that spare parts are never brand new.

Besides, these cards are pretty robust. I've been pretty forceful with mine, never had a problem. Could be the static on your hands?

Are you using the correct backplate?

Good amount of thermal padding?

hmm, i used a static absorbant. correct backplate is also used. and thermal padding should also be fine.

daium

Well, I had this problem a couple of times, with several cards.... As I said, try reseating the card, and clean the pins. It's pretty much impossible that you killed the card since you've apparently did everything correctly...

And yes, Dell sends out refurbished cards, it's unlikely you get a new one.

that is so strange. i just reseated the card again, cleaned the pins. still nothing. i killed a card before, but that was my fault (did some stresstesting with a undervolted bios, and didn't notice that the fan-controll was not working). but this time, i can't see what happened.

Weird... Well, maybe it was just bad luck... You took all the necessary precautions to prevent the card from damage. If it doesn't work with the replacement card tomorrow, then it's something else... Keep us posted.

so the dell technician was here to change the card. it's all good again now!

i finkshed to install the system (as i reinstalled windows yesterday) today. didn't have the time to do some benching today, as i moved into a new (nice ass) office today...aaaand had to get the evil monkey tattooed tonite ;) will bench tomorrow and report back!