OFFICIAL: M17x-R3 Benchmarking Thread

• Founder

be careful with Arctic Silver since it is electrically conductive and has a curing time of more than 200 hours. So better use another one like ICD 24, check some results here:

http://forum.techinferno.com/general-notebook-discussions/913-ic-diamond-24-survey-results.html#post10422

• Founder

Yep widez is right, AS is capactive not conductive. AS is fine if you have nothing else around but the best is MX-4 in my opinion. Reason is that its super easy to apply and temps are close enough to ICD24 and you don't have to worry about scratched surfaces.

thx a lot for the info dudes! i just ordered icd24.

so my fiancee is sleeping and i'm in the bedroom also, and since i'm doing benchmarks i guess she will have a pretty rough sleep haha ^^ will probably be bad mooded tomorrow morning ;) but oh well, it's monday anyways ;)

AMD Radeon HD 6970M / 6990M video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-2920XM Processor,Alienware M17xR3 score: P18141 3DMarks

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z92/chaotic_george/PersonalBest.png

Getting 30k CPU is something I'd love to achieve (afaik I haven't seen an M17x R3 with such a score). For me to boot on 4.5ghz and higher, core voltage needs to be increased, and when the CPU is being raped by Vantage CPU test I get a thermal shutdowns from insane temps :(

On 4.4ghz it's fine with default voltage, hence the 29ks +1 for PK-1

And my Clevo 6990M ain't that great unfortunately but I am happy with 18k :)

post-2089-14494992378092_thumb.jpg

Edited by GeoCake
  • Thumbs Up 1

AMD Radeon HD 6970M / 6990M video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-2920XM Processor,Alienware M17xR3 score: P18141 3DMarks

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z92/chaotic_george/PersonalBest.png

Getting 30k CPU is something I'd love to achieve (afaik I haven't seen an M17x R3 with such a score). For me to boot on 4.5ghz and higher, core voltage needs to be increased, and when the CPU is being raped by Vantage CPU test I get a thermal shutdowns from insane temps :(

On 4.4ghz it's fine with default voltage, hence the 29ks +1 for PK-1

And my Clevo 6990M ain't that great unfortunately but I am happy with 18k :)

a 30k cpu score would be pure awesomness! do the bench in the freezer, that should cancel the termal problems ;-)

yeah 18k is sweet, i can't even get anywhere near that atm! i'm using a 2760 cpu though, so that's one of the probs i run into anyways..

nice job!

btw: just saw you can hit 870 with your 6990 for cclk. mine will freeze @ anything over 837. will do a repaste and then check if that helps a little.

Edited by deadbydawn
  • Thumbs Up 1

a 30k cpu score would be pure awesomness! do the bench in the freezer, that should cancel the termal problems ;-)

yeah 18k is sweet, i can't even get anywhere near that atm! i'm using a 2760 cpu though, so that's one of the probs i run into anyways..

nice job!

btw: just saw you can hit 870 with your 6990 for cclk. mine will freeze @ anything over 837. will do a repaste and then check if that helps a little.

I get different max clocks on different drivers...

Atm I am using these ones (latest leaked I think), check them out: AMD Catalyst 8.95 17 January - BenchmarK3D So far they have been the best :)

Another trick is to do a benchmark after you wake up, when your laptop and heatsinks are completely cold, then just max the fans in HWINFO and run vantage.. my results are always better that way

Edited by GeoCake
  • Thumbs Up 1

I get different max clocks on different drivers...

Atm I am using these ones (latest leaked I think), check them out: AMD Catalyst 8.95 17 January - BenchmarK3D So far they have been the best :)

Another trick is to do a benchmark after you wake up, when your laptop and heatsinks are completely cold, then just max the fans in HWINFO and run vantage.. my results are always better that way

okay i will try those, the worst that can happen is me doing another clean install haha...m17x-r3 switchable-driver-trauma ;-) thx man!

yeah i'm always like as soon as a bench is done (or aborted), doing the next one right away... which is stupid but i never want to wait until everything is cooled down haha ^^

so how i predicted...f@cked up the installation. can't get the original dell driver installed correctly anymore...it will install the driver, but no switching graphics haha...

sooooo, doing the 9th clean install if i count the ones from the weekend.. :D this time i will install the dell one and then right away the new one which @GeoCake suggested. will keep you posted.

so how i predicted...f@cked up the installation. can't get the original dell driver installed correctly anymore...it will install the driver, but no switching graphics haha...

sooooo, doing the 9th clean install if i count the ones from the weekend.. :D this time i will install the dell one and then right away the new one which @GeoCake suggested. will keep you posted.

That's really strange because I install over the top all the time with fairly little problems. I may get a BSOD once in a while but I just re-install again after the restart :/

I always start with an intense clean with Drivers Sweeper (and remove any CCC installations with Windows Install Clean Up, uninstall from device manager, restart to make sure they are all gone), then install the stock dell ones, then I think 11.10 mobility drivers, then the ones above... Just make sure you are always on the dedicated GPU.

@svl7 I don't think I am That hardcore :P

okay, so explain this to me again, step by step (maybe i can save myself the next clean installs with this method ;) ):

1. driver sweeper

2. ccc install remove with windows install clean up

3. uninstallation from device manager

4. restart.

5. stock dell

6. hmmm, do you need to first install the mobility ones? or can i just install the newer ones right away?

also, when you install the non-stock drivers, do you run the setup? i started using the device manager to install new drivers once the stock ones are on there. since if i run the setup i can select, unselect whatever i want, i always get a BSOD and afterwards it will boot with like 800x600 res. and no real driver installed anymore.

1. driver sweeper

2. ccc install remove with windows install clean up

3. uninstallation from device manager

4. restart.

yup, you may need to do driver sweeper multiple times and restart in safe mode, etc. Just make sure they are gone completely. This is pretty much the stage after a clean windows install.

then install stock dell - should give you switching - use the installer. Restart, confirm it works

I couldn't upgrade to 12.1 straight away so I had to use the mobility 11.10 or 11.11. Restart to make sure it all works. After that I could install 12.1

always always use the installer/ccc installer/setup w/e it is called. and select custom and tick everything :P

if you get a bsod, just restart and re-launch the setup, and re-install via custom selection, tick all boxes

remember to constantly restart

Edited by GeoCake
  • Thumbs Up 1

okay so i will try that, thanks a lot man! :D

heading home now, then doing some more driver-removing-applying ;)

Added after 7 minutes:

hmm, when i use driver sweeper, it seems like it doesn't clean the stuff of amd. i tell it to clean, it asks to reboot and every time it finds the same stuff over and over.... =///

Edited by deadbydawn

Try going from Stock Dell to -> http://www2.ati.com/DriVeRs/mobile/11-10_mobility_vista_win7_64_dd_ccc_ocl.exe and then to -> AMD Catalyst 8.95 17 January - BenchmarK3D and then -> AMD Catalyst 12.2 Preview 8.940.0 Driver - BenchmarK3D

12.2 preview gives you some newer components, basically latest everything and you should end up with:

post-2089-1449499237827_thumb.jpg

EDIT - yes it should find the oldest possible drivers that came with windows, that's fine. try sweeping from safe mode as well.

thanks so much man! it worked as you said!!! onlything is that it shows catalyst version 11.10 instead of 12.2, and i did it exactly in the order you said. i will post a pic tomorrow, as i will catch some zz right now =) the driver is 8.59 though =D

sooo, talk to you later and thx a lot again!

• Thumbs Up 3