OFFICIAL: M17x-R3 Benchmarking Thread

for some reasons dell already sent a technician with a new 6990m, even though they don't have it in stock yet....

i just watched the dell technician put half a pund (!!!) of MX4 (!!!!!!?) on the gpu......

and if it worked and it was the card which was faulty i'm calling dell right away after he left for the strange some-times-not-booting-on-battery-issue...

ok, so it's working again, it was the 6990 which was burned out i guess. i'm doing a stress test with 800 / 1050 and in HWiNFO i got the following temps:

GPU Thermal Diode: 74

GPU TS0 (DispIO): 75.5

GPU TS1 (MemIO): 77

GPU TS2 (Shader): 85.5

Is this normal, that the shader temp is 10degrees over the other (minimum) temp? i had this before, but not by this much of a difference.

i know i'm spamming right now..but i just thought of this: i guess every normal laptop user would be super happy that the machine is working again...but me, i'm thinking "oh, i wonder how high i can push the scores with this new card!" haha ;-) trying to max out the scores again...but i think this one is not as beasty as my old dead one when it comes to oc-ing. seems like i can't go as high as 864 / 1233 as it crashes vantage before. but i see how high i can get and still do a full run. :D

haha, i was like "wtf!" ;)

thx!

yeah i guess i was right. i can get this one to a max of 847 / 1230 compared to the old one 864 / 1233. i can't even get anywhere near my 17015 which i scored once with the other one. my highest score with the new one is 16088 (AMD Radeon HD 6970M / 6990M video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-2670QM Processor,Alienware M17xR3 score: P16088 3DMarks) , but what is weird is, that i can see on my old result (AMD Radeon HD 6970M / 6990M video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-2670QM Processor,Alienware M17xR3 score: P17015 3DMarks) that the cpu-frequency was detected as 3161, on my actual score it was detected as 2949, but with the same settings (bclk 105.50). strange stuff!

Added after 5 minutes:

ah damn i think i know why...for whatever reason on the newer results since the card got updated the old drivers are active...8.851.2.0....wtf...i had the new ones on there. strange stuff!!!

well, will have to wait until tonight as my ext. drive with all my stuff is at my friends house.

Edited by deadbydawn

My 6970M crossfire died much in the same way as you Deadlybydawn and how Iloveboobs cards died. I had vbios flashed. using 8.96 driver Brian posted and only a day or two after updating to A05 with AMD fix the cards went dead... IGP works and bios doesn't even show the cards one by one... tech is supposed to come with new ones. I think a certain combo on 6970m and 6990m of driver and bios.... can cause these cards to die in the same way. The latest bios A05 has also a latest official AMD driver packaged by Dell and could be both are needed at same time or combo of older bios and or older driver cause gpu failure? see the EC was updated in the latest bios from M18x so do you guys have a similar bios and driver update for the M17x now?

hmm, i don't think so as there hasn't been any change on the support site of dell (who would have thought...)... maybe they will release a fix like that sometimes in the future after the r4 is released pfff...

so i'm reinstalling windows as the driver shit isn't fixable... can't even get the switchable graphics to work. dell told me that they will replace the motherboard (because of the system-sometimes-not-booting-from-battery-issue) and if there is any other problem after that i will get a refund or a replacement, whatever i want. so doing a clean install and awaiting the technician with the super-pasting-skills once more ;-)

btw, which is the graphics driver that is the most recommended at the moment? i lost some of my data and will have to see how i get the more up to date catalyst on there anyways...

well id install the newest ones by themselves and if that gave trouble perhaps the dell ones then the new ones over top of them... But I remove the previous drivers/catalyst even registry entries and reboot and install newest driver

In the case of switchable graphics then perhaps that's best I noticed mine only ever work if they were the ones direct from Dell so you may need to find the latest driver that maintains switchable graphics function and stick with that till a newer driver is released... I was using 8.93 and it wouldn't switch to the Intel IGP... Doesn't hurt to try... If installing over dell drivers works and updates go for it.... But maybe it is issue on mobo... If dell drivers won't use Igp also

okay. well with the original dell drivers it's working fine using igp etc. but those drivers are outdated as sh*t. for some reason i can't seem to find a way anymore to get the updated drivers on anymore... damn... sometimes i wish i chose the 580 instead ;-) oooooor dell would just stop being lazy f*çks and provide updated drivers!!!!

Added after 9 minutes:

so after the 1000 clean driver install i was able to install the 12.1 preview driver over the dell one. now it worked. continuing to install the system.. thanks a lot! cant wait to do some tests!

Edited by deadbydawn

Will these work to update over dell drivers? These are 8.93... http://forum.techinferno.com/general-notebook-discussions/1322-amd-catalysts-8-93-november-18th-release.html

Oh cool didn't see update to your post at the time. Great have fun hopefully they prove to be stable for you.

Edited by mw86
  • Thumbs Up 1

okay so i get to 854 /1141 with the result of 16545. i hit the 20k cpu mark but only 15578 gpu. for my highest of 17015 (864 / 1233) with the older card i hit 19838 on cpu and 16245 on gpu. now i'm using the 12.1 preview driver, on my top score i used the 11.10a. i wonder if the difference of 500 points is made up solely by the difference in gpu-clock or also because of some driver differences.

i did the benching with the laptop sitting on a desk next to the open window of my office. i'm freezing to death and now i will stop doing benching for today in order for me to warm up ;)

edit: also, the windows performance index is stating 2 x 7.1 for the graphic stuff, i was getting 7.6 before. i guess it must be the drivers =/

Edited by deadbydawn

could be the drivers but don't go by WEI for it stick with the bench numbers when judging that because WEI done a few times in a row can give different results... its not very accurate.