Going to test clevo 980m in alienware m17x R4, m18x R2, AW17

godfafa

Sorry miss understood you.

My gpu comes on as soon as I boot my laptop . It shows in hwinfo and msi afterburner and nvidia inspector. I can change all settings in invidia inspector . Without even ever starting a game.

At first mine wasn't on either. In hwinfo I set it to wake gpu on boot and wake gpu on boot extended. Try checkmarking both boxes in hwinfo for wake gpu.

Sorry miss understood you.

My gpu comes on as soon as I boot my laptop . It shows in hwinfo and msi afterburner and nvidia inspector. I can change all settings in invidia inspector . Without even ever starting a game.

At first mine wasn't on either. In hwinfo I set it to wake gpu on boot and wake gpu on boot extended. Try checkmarking both boxes in hwinfo for wake gpu.

ok, good to know. my 780m does come into effect when playing games so i know my optimus system works regardless but i'll check those options when i cross that bridge.

let us know how your experience with hidevolution is.

Can`t say I`m too happy with my 970M SLI upgrade for my AW18

1. I have to use Win 8.1. Although it got some pros like shortcuts, fast booting etc there is a lot about it I can`t stand. I miss Win7.

2. Only one of the GPU fan works automatically. You have to use HWinfo to control the third fan. And you can`t just control that fan. No, if you enable fan control for that one, rest wont work automatically. So you will need to make tables for all 3 of them.

3. You only get 0, 1700 or 3700RPM with HWinfo. 0 = No cooling. 1700RPM = Not good enough. 3700RPM = Good enough but leaf blower.

You can make a table, say 40C 0RPM, 50C 1700RPM 80C 3700RPM etc. Problem is that it heats up to 80C without problems when you are using 1700RPM. And the fan will go in leaf blower mode and cool the GPU down to 79C and stop. Then few seconds after that it get back to 80C. Full speed. Stop. Rinse and repeat. Basically horrible fan cycling.

• Thumbs Up 2

Do you have 120hz screen or your optimus just does not work?

I have 60hz screen. The optimus does not work with current drivers. Maybe it will when Alienware releases official drivers, dont know.

For now I use Fn+F7 to switch graphic cards - reboot necessary.

Probably not. SLI on Alienware is really messed up. But, there are a few examples of even single GPU laptops not working right with Maxwell. Unless something has changed, some of the Clevo systems are not compatible. NVIDIA changed a bunch of stuff and some of it was not for the better. Here is an example of how my M18xR2 behaves with SLI and the reason I am going to get a Clevo P570WM to use my new video cards.

No, not the stock vBIOS. However, the stock vBIOS has the same problem sometimes, just not as bad. I am 99.9% sure it has something to do with the drivers/vBIOS monitoring power draw and trying to "adjust" to reduce power consumption instead of leaving my computer alone. One 980M, even with a big overclock/overvolt almost never draws enough power through my motherboard to trigger the spastic behavior.

So people with single GPU laptops are somewhat better off than those on SLI?
I don't know. With a machine designed for SLI it appears to be so. On a machine not designed for SLI (like mikecacho's M17xR4) it seems to have similar behavior as mine does when using SLI. It's goofy that it works so well with one GPU and misbehaves so badly with two. Maybe whatever cancer NVIDIA injected in the vBIOS measures power draw and makes arbitrary decisions based on the percentage of available power. The M18xR2 would obviously have a much higher power envelope, so that might explain it why it works great with one GPU. It's hard to say. Maybe having to use UEFI for SLI leaves an open door for NVIDIA to overstep their boundaries.

I don't know. With a machine designed for SLI it appears to be so. On a machine not designed for SLI (like mikecacho's M17xR4) it seems to have similar behavior as mine does when using SLI. It's goofy that it works so well with one GPU and misbehaves so badly with two. Maybe whatever cancer NVIDIA injected in the vBIOS measures power draw and makes arbitrary decisions based on the percentage of available power. The M18xR2 would obviously have a much higher power envelope, so that might explain it why it works great with one GPU. It's hard to say. Maybe having to use UEFI for SLI leaves an open door for NVIDIA to overstep their boundaries.

that doesn't sound hopeful for me and my AW17 (R1). i wonder if it has to do with the BIOS being different between all the models and some work better than others but still not 100% like clevo.

@Player2 - Please, let us know when you will get your gtx 980m and share some info if it works with AW17 Win7 (without UEFI) on 60Hz screen. I'm curious about this configuration and keep my fingers crossed.

Sounds like you're not going to be happy if you need to buy Windows 8.1 :P

@Player2 - Please, let us know when you will get your gtx 980m and share some info if it works with AW17 Win7 (without UEFI) on 60Hz screen. I'm curious about this configuration and keep my fingers crossed.

Most definately. When I get the card I will have to come here anyway to get help from the experts on modding the inf for the driver to work because I have no experience in that sort of thing. It will be a learning experience for me.

Most definately. When I get the card I will have to come here anyway to get help from the experts on modding the inf for the driver to work because I have no experience in that sort of thing. It will be a learning experience for me.

and i'll be interested in seeing how that goes for you even though i am windows 8.1.

no, it came with windows 7 but i upgraded to windows 8.1.

That's great news for both of us.

Because if the 980m don't work proper with windows 7 and optimus then I will need help upgrading mine to windows 8.1 as you have done with eufi to get card to work. Then maybe I can help answer some of your questions about 980m performance in our systems.

My system came with 256gb ssd and wd 750 gb hard drive. I added a second identical 750 gb hard drive in the vacant bay.

That's great news for both of us.

Because if the 980m don't work proper with windows 7 and optimus then I will need help upgrading mine to windows 8.1 as you have done with eufi to get card to work. Then maybe I can help answer some of your questions about 980m performance in our systems.

My system came with 256gb ssd and wd 750 gb hard drive. I added a second identical 750 gb hard drive in the vacant bay.

for me it was...

Win 7 + BIOS

Win 8.1 + BIOS

Win 8,1 + UEFI <<< Current install set up.

from what i was told the 980M (only) works when the AW17 is using UEFI and it's not that hard to set up in the BIOS. I would prefer to do a full reinstall over the doing a conversion of the current OS install cos i think the OS conversion might have issues.

Legacy BIOS works fine with Windows 7 on an Optimus machine. You don't have to downgrade to Windows 8.1 as long as the machine is booting from the Intel HD Graphics. Pure Windows 8+pure UEFI cancer is only required for booting from discrete graphics because our system BIOSes are screwed up. It works for Clevo because their BIOSes are not screwed up like ours are.

Legacy BIOS works fine with Windows 7 on an Optimus machine. You don't have to downgrade to Windows 8.1 as long as the machine is booting from the Intel HD Graphics. Pure Windows 8+pure UEFI cancer is only required for booting from discrete graphics because our system BIOSes are screwed up. It works for Clevo because their BIOSes are not screwed up like ours are.

i wonder if that's why i was having issues with switching to optimus from dedicated because i was using UEFI? either way i may have to conceit the ability to use adaptive vsync if i go with optimus mode.

EDIT: I am also comparing the prices between Eurocom (which is in Canada - Ottawa to be precise so in the same province as I am) and Hidevolution (based in the California) and will see what the gap is.

if i went with HIDevolution it would cost me about $1217.86 CAD and that includes all the provincial tax. if i went with eurocom it would be $1270 CAD after tax. so it's only a $50 CAD price gap.

I looked up torrance california Wich I bilieve is were hidevolution is located and I am 3 hours and 17 minutes driving distance from there. That should make for pretty fast shipping considering they have the gpu in stock.

i'm in toronto and eurocom is in ottawa. since i don't have a driver's license or even a car i don't think i would go there by car just for a 980M nor would i take a train to Ottawa since it costs $44 just for a one way trip so in my case getting it couriered is the better option :P

i'll wait till after you order and receive yours to see if hidevolution is worth buying from, otherwise i'll go with eurocom for the sake of being within the same province as me.

i'm in toronto and eurocom is in ottawa. since i don't have a driver's license or even a car i don't think i would go there by car just for a 980M nor would i take a train to Ottawa since it costs $44 just for a one way trip so in my case getting it couriered is the better option :P

i'll wait till after you order and receive yours to see if hidevolution is worth buying from, otherwise i'll go with eurocom for the sake of being within the same province as me.

Check this https://www.powernotebooks.com/category.php?catId=309

USPS Express TAX/CIF, warranty Sager 3 months.