Going to test clevo 980m in alienware m17x R4, m18x R2, AW17

godfafa

@J95

so for 980m single,

nv_dispi.inf_v344.80(2)_AW_GTX_980M.zip

this is the right file right?

I will try this tonight. My last resort is to try your mod inf and v10 vbios.

Yeah, that's the right one (single & SLI).

Uninstall w/ DDU (Clean and Shutdown) then re-install v344.80/nv_dispi.inf. 880M Déjà vu, hopefully not. Mierda!

To sum it up another piss poor nvidia release great potential crappy software engineers...

I partially agree.

But this 980m throttle of alienware is not a throttle to 700~800 clock.

It throttles down really low to nearly 400.

The FPS becomes half of what it should be.

This kind of throttle dont happen in clevo.

Oh damn... nothing so serious on clevo.. thats not throttling thats a coffee break.ive never had that at all...

Yeah I thought so.

You are talking about "boost" going up and down. That's meant to work that way. That's not anything wrong.

It is normal in mobile GPU with stock vbios.

I am talking about throttle that really goes down.

Johnksss and I have experienced the same thing. No clue yet. But I guess 980m in alienware want to go idle state even when GPU load is high.

Hmm thats terrible i wonder if its system bios related reading sensors incorrectly or values dont tie up with what the system expects? So throws a random fit once in a while..... when it throttles does it wake up if you just keep the load on or just die on its arse?

@J95 @godfafa

All is good again!

Ok, so i got it working again using the nv_dispi.inf_v344.80(2)_AW_GTX_980M.zip, but before that i used DDU and cleaned my registry in safe mode with advanced system optimzer v3 after using DDU to remove any extra crap left behind. Then i used everything.exe and typed in keywork NVIDIA and removed all NVIDIA labeled anything (other than the DDU required NVIDIA files). i also optimized my registry since that was a mess 13.7% fragmented. then ran a registry cleaner again, then i installed the drivers once more. And now the card is displaying correctly in device manager as GTX 980M.

• Thumbs Up 1

@J95 @godfafa

All is good again!

Ok, so i got it working again using the nv_dispi.inf_v344.80(2)_AW_GTX_980M.zip, but before that i used DDU and cleaned my registry in safe mode with advanced system optimzer v3 after using DDU to remove any extra crap left behind. Then i used everything.exe and typed in keywork NVIDIA and removed all NVIDIA labeled anything (other than the DDU required NVIDIA files). i also optimized my registry since that was a mess 13.7% fragmented. then ran a registry cleaner again, then i installed the drivers once more. And now the card is displaying correctly in device manager as GTX 980M.

Good. Could you please run 3dmark11 (graphic test 1 is enough) everyday for a few day?

For me, right after nvidia installation, no throttle.

But after 1-2 days, throttle again.

Good. Could you please run 3dmark11 (graphic test 1 is enough) everyday for a few day?

For me, right after nvidia installation, no throttle.

But after 1-2 days, throttle again.

Will do, ill let you know how it goes. what about firestrike once a day instead, it should not matter right?

@J95 @godfafa

All is good again!

Good to know, I proved my point. Upgrade kits drivers using nvdmi.inf (1028) which lacks Maxwell entries/sections.

• Thumbs Up 1

Good to know, I proved my point. Upgrade kits drivers using nvdmi.inf (1028) which lacks Maxwell entries/sections.

I see. Why is your mod inf for sli still nvdmi.inf?

Any specific reason for that bro?

- - - Updated - - -

Will do, ill let you know how it goes. what about firestrike once a day instead, it should not matter right?

No I dont think it will matter.

Until Dell/AW wakes up from the endless 'Siesta' (hibernating by now) nvdmi.inf is useless for Maxwell...

First uninstall under Programs & Features, then run DDU/latest version (safe mode - Clean and Shutdown).

• Thumbs Up 3

Mikecacho, one more thing to ask.

Have you updated windows 8.1?

Yes i just updated yesterday in between running benches with no issues. As for the windows update theory, i can't see how that would affect anything unless it directly changes something with the display adapter.

@godfafa and @mikecacho, will be really interesting to see if the nv_dispi.inf fix (which installs relevant Maxwell sections - identified by j95) will result in your systems now being able to maintain boost without bad throttling over the next few days; if so, then looks like j95 has identified the cause!

Ive been reading through this thread and im looking to upgrade from a 7970m to the 980m could anyone possibly list the required drivers and flashed bios versions that are needed and which order they need to be installed. Ive tried gauging myself but got lost from the trial and errors certain members have had. Would be appreciated.

@godfafa and @mikecacho, will be really interesting to see if the nv_dispi.inf fix (which installs relevant Maxwell sections - identified by j95) will result in your systems now being able to maintain boost without bad throttling over the next few days; if so, then looks like j95 has identified the cause!

Yeah, was surprised when the nv_dispi.inf worked well, and we are avoiding the nvdmi.info since that is what you would think would work better for mobile. ill keep you guys posted as to throttling if it happens in the next few, days per @godfafa request.

Ive been reading through this thread and im looking to upgrade from a 7970m to the 980m could anyone possibly list the required drivers and flashed bios versions that are needed and which order they need to be installed. Ive tried gauging myself but got lost from the trial and errors certain members have had. Would be appreciated.

I upgraded from that config, you can check out my link: M17X R4 GTX980M Upgrade

also start at pg. 65 on this forum and you will receive all the answers you need for the upgrade