too good to be true.... (help/advice please)

i had my mobo changed (the mobo and the gfx card) now using the same processor i cant set the fsb to 103.1 because i get white dots all over the place as well as white lines. but if i leave it as stock 99.54mhz i get a white line every once in a while.... should i be worried?

i had my proc at 103.1 24/7 before the mobo change..... i updated the drivers, both nvdia and intel. the nvidia is 100% fine becuse it not being used when i get the white lines.

also when the tech was here, he ussed too much tim and i think its run off the sides..... my temps are low though.

Edited by Alex Six

• Founder

Those lines sound like a graphics card problem, since your dedicated is not being used then it has to be the integrated one, try to run a furmark (for both dedicated and IGP) and report the temperatures. For the CPU run prime 95 http://www.mersenne.org/ and report those temperatures as well. For monitoring the temps use either TS or HWiNFO

If it's not a temperatures issue then we will start looking to a different direction

It not a temp issues because I was playing dolphin (wii emulator, very CPU dependent) for about 1 1/2-2 hours straight and highest temp was 80*c but was avg at 75ish. The descreat card was being used and I only saw the white line twice near the end of my gaming session. I updated to the A03 bios and no use. It has to be the CPU because again if I leave the CPU at stock the lines and dots are rare. But at 103.1 the lines are everywhere! It's like looking to that stars while te computer boots up (white dots and lines on black background). The strange thing is that the mono was changed but they used the same processor and it was able to be max OC"d no issues, but after this switch now it's nerf'd. Again the Tim was applied in excess so perhaps that could be the issue.

• Founder

yeah but if the thermal paste is the issue there is only one way to find out and unless you try it you can't exclude it (for the CPU prime 95 will do the trick, for link check my previous post)

Yeah you are right, I will run prime for awhile. But it's strange the moment I apply the overclock I get these lines. There is 0 delay. And when it's reset to stock I get them rarly. Anything else I should try? I'll have the results this afternoon. Btw thanks for the links.

• Founder

Could be the memory as well, press F12 during boot (I am not sure if it is the same for the M14x) and select the diagnostic option from the menu, check and see if you get any errors during overclock (or stock). Otherwise you can download memtest86 and make a bootable CD. http://www.memtest86.com/

I agree with everything StamatisX suggested its all spot on. I would like to mention although I don't have a system with the second generation Intel I series I think there issue with your CPU also. You said the lines happen right away when you overclock but rarely when you don't. The fact that it still happens at all when you are back to stock base clock tells me the issue is in fact the CPU and when you overclock the baseclock its exacerbating the issue. The tests StamatisX suggested will confirm the issue is CPU related... Or the ram if it fails the ram test although ram tests aren't one hundred prevent since they don't work in the way we use our systems. Perhaps the overclocking in past destroyed on of the many clocks that are now tied into the baseclock like the PCI express or something. The problem with that is you just got a mobo and gpu replacement so it seems you should do those tests and post the results. Other than all that you could have got a faulty motherboard replacement... They are famous for that... A repair tech once told me about how just about every part they send out as a replacement are refurbished and the testing involved is not the most in depth. Let us know your results thanks Alex Six.

Edited by mw86

thank you for your input Mw86. i did as asked and i did the diagnostics test with f12, my results were fine. i called in to dell, and they told me that the issue was with the mobo graphic controller. the cpu runs fine but when the OC is added it goes crazy. even the smallest OC (from 9954 to 10000) makes the intel graphics go haywire. the "agent" i spoke with was underminding my knowlege of the system and telling me that the issue is with the mobo as opposed to the cpu. i can overclock the nvidia card to 770 stable on multiple games yet he insists that the culprit is the mobo. and when i told him about the excessive tim that was applied, as well as how the tech just came in and rushed out with out care for the CPU they told me that i would never get a CPU replacement. aside from that he was bending the rules on how my 3rd repair visit did not mean i would have to get a new system. with my m11x they told explicitly that after the 3rd visit i would have a choice of either sending it to a dell repair depot or getting a new system. heh, this is madness and im fed up. lets see how this pans out... if all fails then another email to [email protected] should clear up the problem. ive had countless issues with the m11r2 and now with my m14x. i will complain untill i get a new system AND some compensation for this hassle. if all else fails i will just flat out ask for a refund and go buy mac or something.

thank you for your input Mw86. i did as asked and i did the diagnostics test with f12, my results were fine. i called in to dell, and they told me that the issue was with the mobo graphic controller. the cpu runs fine but when the OC is added it goes crazy. even the smallest OC (from 9954 to 10000) makes the intel graphics go haywire. the "agent" i spoke with was underminding my knowlege of the system and telling me that the issue is with the mobo as opposed to the cpu. i can overclock the nvidia card to 770 stable on multiple games yet he insists that the culprit is the mobo. and when i told him about the excessive tim that was applied, as well as how the tech just came in and rushed out with out care for the CPU they told me that i would never get a CPU replacement. aside from that he was bending the rules on how my 3rd repair visit did not mean i would have to get a new system. with my m11x they told explicitly that after the 3rd visit i would have a choice of either sending it to a dell repair depot or getting a new system. heh, this is madness and im fed up. lets see how this pans out... if all fails then another email to [email protected] should clear up the problem. ive had countless issues with the m11r2 and now with my m14x. i will complain untill i get a new system AND some compensation for this hassle. if all else fails i will just flat out ask for a refund and go buy mac or something.

And THAT in the end, is what stopped mr from getting alienware. Their horrible customer service. I ended up getting a malibal lotus P151HM1. I love it. I should probably change my sig though.

[MENTION=340]Alex Six[/MENTION]

call in and give em hell you don't need a broken system make them either send a new one or repair that at the depot either way don't take no on what you want done.