Help improve laptop performance for Matlab

soutakux

Hi I was wondering of anyone knew how to improve the performance of Matlab on my laptop. Im new to the site and have a 4th gen i7 on my lenovo 510p. When I run my code, Matlab seems to only use 20 percent of my cpu. Does anyone know if this is due to hyperthreaing or if its due to a restriction on Matlab itself?

I'm not sure... it might also depend on what you do with matlab. Not everything is parallelizable, so that might be the reason why it can't make full use of your CPUs potential.

• Founder

It's Matlab, last time I used it though was 10 years ago for my thesis... it was slower than death... took me 3 months to do something that in C required max a week... I am pretty sure things have changed since then, and it will probably offer code optimization for the toolbox you use but I wouldn't expect miracles.

It's Matlab, last time I used it though was 10 years ago for my thesis... it was slower than death... took me 3 months to do something that in C required max a week... I am pretty sure things have changed since then, and it will probably offer code optimization for the toolbox you use but I wouldn't expect miracles.

Don't worry, it hasn't changed much. I haven't run anything fancy that required a decently measurable amount of time to run, but even with the small stuff I think "this could be a bit faster...."

So yeah, don't expect it to run blazing fast.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi I was wondering of anyone knew how to improve the performance of Matlab on my laptop. Im new to the site and have a 4th gen i7 on my lenovo 510p. When I run my code, Matlab seems to only use 20 percent of my cpu. Does anyone know if this is due to hyperthreaing or if its due to a restriction on Matlab itself?

I am using Matlab for my research for a year now.. I do agree that Matlab is not the best when it comes to High speed computing. But certain performance can be improved atleast a bit , it depends on what you are trying to do. Let me know.. And I'll try to help..

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

I'm afraid you can't improve it without redesigning your program to take the advantage of multi-processor...

Option 1, try using Parallel computing toolbox.

Option 2, or you can simulate the multi-threading process if you don't wanna purchase parallel toolkit. In your primary code, start another matlab instance by invoking a batch file which opens up matlab and run a script. The synchronization can be coordinated by sharing a piece of memory specifically reserved for parameter transferring, or you can simply create a .mat file and share the parameters via hard drive (check the file every several millisecond). This is what I used for multi-threading during the development of one internal test frame, and I saved a lot of money for my team lol (cuz parallel computing toolbox cost some 1000 dollars a piece)

• Thumbs Up 2

• 3 weeks later...

I already have a fast CPU and a SSD installed. Actually some of my friends that one way of improving the efficiency of a code is to define the size of the matrix first then fill it in with numbers instead of increasing the size of the matrix as the code iterates.

• 8 months later...

The graphics card should not be too important, I do not know if any toolboxes allow for GPU compute anyway. Since Matlab is essential running code, and especially iterations, in serial, the best way to improve performance is to improve single threaded.

Definately disable hyper threading and see if you cant tweak the processor some with intel XTU (overclocking, use at your own risk!)

Hope this helped!

• 3 months later...