Multi-monitor rigs

Easirok

I currently have a 24" HP and a 24" Acer external monitor hooked up to my Alienware m17x R2. HDMI is feeding the Acer (current generation LED tech), while VGA is feeding the HP (older generation LCD tech).

This works pretty well, but I have some minor complaints. First, the native resolution of the two is not the same. The HP display runs a full 1920x1200 while the Acer is at 1920x1080. It seems that 1920x1200, while superior in terms of viewable area, has become obsolete - you can't really find new monitors in that format now. Since these two displays aren't identical, there are noticeable differences in color, brightness, sharpness, and responsiveness between the two. Lastly, neither of these two monitors has the mounting holes needed to attach them to an adjustable arm / stand (this is usually called "100x100 VESA Mounting" or something like that).

I am thinking about replacing this with a new setup, and was hoping one of the others here might have some experiences to share.

I like the idea of a single stand that both displays are mounted to, instead of each display having its own stand. Unfortunately, my desk is not conducive to "clamp-on" style mounting arms, and I am not going to drill a hole through the desk for a "grommet" or "fixed" style mounting system. So that pretty much leaves "free-standing" as the only viable type of mount I can use, which limits me quite a bit.

This is the mounting system I am considering. It is not cheap, but after some research it seems to be the best bet:

Amazon.com: Planar 997-5253-00 Dual Monitor Stand (Black): Electronics

I am also contemplating going with a three-monitor configuration, using a USB to HDMI adaptor to drive the 3rd one. The same manufacturer offers a three-panel variation of the same hardware:

Amazon.com: Planar Triple Monitor Stand: Electronics

Manufacturer link with more info on both products:

Planar: Accessories: Wall Mounts, Stands, and more for Planar LCD monitors - When Image Experience Matters

So with those options in mind, I also need to find appropriate display panels. Ideally, these would be LED with high contrast ratio and fast response times. I realize many LED panels do not have the VESA mounting holes though (LED panels are sometimes so thin that the mounting screws are in danger of penetrating into the screen), so I might have to go with LCD. Thin bevel frames are best, so I can get them as close together as possible. Also, I prefer high-gloss displays over matte finish. And obviously if I am going to be buying three of them, price is a consideration.

Any recommendations? All I know for sure is that the two monitors I have right now will not work.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Founder

I know the Dell monitors typically get rave reviews but you have to decide whether you want to go with a TN panel or IPS. The IPS cost a little bit more but IMO are much better choices for a desktop display because of their color reproduction. They've also closed the latency gap with the newest ones so while they're still not as fast as a TN, the gain in color reproduction is well worth it. Also, do you want a 60 hz display or 120 hz? There's a lot to choose from.

• Founder

I just got my old Dell 2005FPW display with 1680x1050 resolution setup on my desk. Now I'm just waiting on the displayport-->dvi cable to come in so I can use it.

• 4 weeks later...

I've had similar thoughts since I recieved my M17 R2 and was hoping one day I could by 2 identical monitors at 17.3 or as close to the size of the M17's screen size and the exact same kind of screen rgb led at 1920x1200. For a 3 way setup. If anyone knows a way to purcahse two monitors of identical properties of the R2's RGB LED please post it here.

• 5 months later...
  • Founder

So.. i never connected external monitors to my laptop, but lately i decided i need to connect at least one more monitor to facilitate my work.

Can the m18x output to three screens simultaneously (the internal + 2 externals) ?

I am thinking of two U2711 Dell screens, i know it's a bit of an overkill but it's TechInferno after all, right ?

I might share one of them with my wife though :)