R3 Owners - I need your help (10 seconds of your time)

• Founder

As you might know i am having issues with my charger not charging in some conditions, i even have a thread describing it here : http://forum.techinferno.com/alienware-m17x/504-m17x-r3-charger-problem.html

So a new charger arrived today and i see the same issue with it.

Now i know it can still be a faulty motherboard but i suspect it's a more general issue.

I need you to check the following.

1. This is very important - make sure the battery is not completely charged ( 70% charge or lower is good )

2. Now with windows running, and charger plugged in pull out the charger, wait a second and put it back in.

Does the light on the charger stay blue or turn off ?

Does windows show the battery as charging ?

Are you on ATI GPU or on IGP when it happens ?

I just have a gut feeling it's a general issue that is presented in all R3 machines but it's just not that common of a scenario for most to notice.

Please let me know ASAP.

Thanks,

- Mike.

I checked this out for you and the only oddity I noticed was that when I pulled the charger out it stayed on "plugged in, charging" for a few seconds although the charger wasn't plugged in. I tried it on both the AMD card and the IGP and got the same exact results each time, the charger stayed lit, the battery icon said charging even though it wasn't for a few seconds then went to the normal percentage, when I plugged it back in it was instant on returning to normal. With what you're describing it sounds like your charger is bad and/or possibly the actual charging port. I know there's supposed to be an overload trip type switch in the brick so if it's reading incorrectly there or within the computer it probably stops directing the current hence the light shutting off. If you know anyone else with an alienware(M15x, 17xR1/R2/R2) I'd try your charger on their rig and see if it does the same thing, if not call AW and ask for a new charger telling them it's shutting off randomly. If I can help anymore just shoot me a pm ;)

• Thumbs Up 1

• Founder

Yeah I never observed this behavior with my M17x-R3 either. He already replaced his charger so it seems like there may be a problem with the motherboard.

• Founder

Thanks wbabt007.

Just got off the phone with AW support. Had to fucking teach the tech why this isn't a problem of voltages.

He was claiming it's my fault cause i am using a US issued power supply (110v) in Israel (220v) when it clearly states on the power supply it's 110-240v.

What a moron! When i finally convinced him of that, he didn't want to send me a motherboard, just the charger, and that's after i explained to him that the charger was already replaced and it's fine.

Anyway, all is good now it seems (still waiting for a confirmation email), i convinced him to send out a mobo.

• Thumbs Up 2

Well done Michael, honestly this episode is not to good for Alienware, specially since you and the others are the core of T I, like I say well done and hopefully all will be resolved soon so we can concentrate on building TI.

• Founder

You should see when I had the R1 and I was trying to explain tech support what DPC latency is... LMAO I still get frustrated when I remember the hours of waiting on the phone and being transferred from one tech to another... anyways...

Michael good to hear that you got everything sorted out. LMAO @ 110V vs 220V argument on 110-240V PSU

• Founder

Michael's issue has been forwarded to AW engineering. I asked a Dell guy I know over e-mail. I'll let you guys know what they say about it.

• Thumbs Up 1