Board Upgrade - i7-2960XM OC Issue

J95

Yep, fixing CPU TDP is my next step, including soldering & BIOS modding. Whatever it takes, physics 11191 is unacceptable.

can i see your xmp1 timings that sounds very impressive cl9 :D

- - - Updated - - -

@mw86 - Question: does your Kingston Impact 2133 boot at 2133 with the BIOS set to "Automatic" for memory speed, or does it drop to 1866? Mine drops to 1866 with both Corsair and G.SKILL 2133 with the BIOS set to auto RAM speed.

Yes all my chips do the same and it is because the bios is loading various ram timings from 0-3 lower than what is programmed and TRFC may be limited to 255 motherboard/bios limit. Once the timings are flashed in the spd table with values that will make the automatic speed load correct timings all is good. we have to see which values are wrong then flash the ram with some of the latencies higher than you normally would use so that the normal values you targeted is actually what the panther 5 loads. this is true for automatic and XMP. They suffer the same issue so the same fix applies.

- - - Updated - - -

@Khenglish you asked me a question and had no answer at the time. I can run 2400mhz on all the stock timings for those hyperx imppact secondary timings. So I didn't need Tfaw or others so high at all as I would of thought I would because desktop ram needs that high often. Here are pics for you on the new timings tested. This pair is on the Alien 18.

2400mhz 12-13-14-25 with stock 2133mhz secondary timings used TM5 pass

post-34-14495000284982_thumb.jpg

2400mhz 12-13-14-25 with stock 2133mhz secondary timings used Aida run

post-34-14495000285776_thumb.jpg

Hi @J95 the xmp are posted right here for you buddy. Ill have to make another on and post it as well that isnt on as toght timings so you can use it for testing 2400.

http://forum.techinferno.com/showthread.php?p=136245

cheers pm me if you want I can help get you what you need to get going in any case :)

• Thumbs Up 1

Hi @J95 the xmp are posted right here for you buddy. Ill have to make another on and post it as well that isnt on as toght timings so you can use it for testing 2400.

Board Upgrade - i7-2960XM OC Issue - Page 9

cheers pm me if you want I can help get you what you need to get going in any case :)

An11nrjh.png

@mw86 thanks man, this is what I'm currently using due to 980M upgrade, conservative timings to avoid issues. Still, stable XMP2 9-10-9-28 1866 & 1600 timings RC-RFC..., XMP1 10-10-10-30 BCLK headroom.

I will start messing w/ TB once I get the new ram, Demo version/crappy update method needs to change asap...I should organize my little mess emps/spds 80+...;)

[MENTION=119]Mr. Fox[/MENTION] set 2400 under chipset, even w/ proper timings 2400 is pretty much IMC dependent including 2200, the latter perfectly achievable...déjà vu...;)

• Thumbs Up 1

• 1 month later...

I have Clevo P370EM with @Prema bios and now as I am in possession of i7-2960XM I wanted to try OC this CPU. This is 3rd gen CPU platform but compatible with 2nd gen CPUs as well. I have newest XTU software but I could not find any luck with OC. I just cant do it work with higher multipliers. Maybe someone can just tell me what should be changed and what values would be good for the start. Maybe I am doing everything wrong - it's frustrating:(

http://s10.ifotos.pl/img/ss-xtu-i7_wqppqer.jpg

post-35176-14495000559217_thumb.jpg

post-35176-14495000559115_thumb.jpg

I have Clevo P370EM with @Prema bios and now as I am in possession of i7-2960XM I wanted to try OC this CPU. This is 3rd gen CPU platform but compatible with 2nd gen CPUs as well. I have newest XTU software but I could not find any luck with OC. I just cant do it work with higher multipliers. Maybe someone can just tell me what should be changed and what values would be good for the start. Maybe I am doing everything wrong - it's frustrating:(

http://s10.ifotos.pl/img/ss-xtu-i7_wqppqer.jpg

[ATTACH=CONFIG]15597[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]15596[/ATTACH]

I cant see the second picture. How can I help. I had a 2960xm before.

An11nrjh.png

@mw86 thanks man, this is what I'm currently using due to 980M upgrade, conservative timings to avoid issues. Still, stable XMP2 9-10-9-28 1866 & 1600 timings RC-RFC..., XMP1 10-10-10-30 BCLK headroom.

I will start messing w/ TB once I get the new ram, Demo version/crappy update method needs to change asap...I should organize my little mess emps/spds 80+...;)

[MENTION=119]Mr. Fox[/MENTION] set 2400 under chipset, even w/ proper timings 2400 is pretty much IMC dependent including 2200, the latter perfectly achievable...déjà vu...;)

How are things coming along? I put a Xeon in my new Panther 5 so now that one cant use the 2400mhz like my Alien 18 but I got 1867mhz on the HyperX impact chips down to 1867mhz @ 8-10-12 Im not sure if that is good but seems very good to have CL8 -1867mhz ram?

• 4 weeks later...
@J95 can you please share BIOS settings for removing motherboard power limit since I now have unlocked BIOS

@J95 as I have been also asking in my PM's, how did you successfully get past the TDP limit in the end? I have tried various combinations of things in this thread however it would be really helpful for me and other owners if you could get together a list of things that need to be done to get past it, like BIOS settings etc...

I have disabled MSR lock, remove the TDP lock and tried various combinations of settings however this isn't getting anywhere.. As on my thread in NBR, the minute I start the XTU stress test, the power limit gets hit in like 5 secs and clocks throttle from 4.3Ghz on 4 cores to 3.8GHz...

My Firestrike Physics score is 10950 is latest bench, which is the highest ever for me however if there is anymore that can be eeked out, do let me know!

Thanks,

Tom

Edit: I have got this showing in the BIOS.. Turbo power limit registers are not matching... This seems to be the problem for me... Any suggestions?

post-27466-1449500068433_thumb.jpg