NVIDIA GTX 700 series - modified VBIOS

svl7

Is this with air cooling or WC? Mine is air cooled and even without a custom fan profile mine was boosting to a consistent 1006 (not OC) in Metro Last Light and Far Cry 3. My Gigabyte reference card only allows a max of 1.187v with +38 whereas other reference card can already reach 1.2v.

All testing was done with reference cooling.

All testing was done with reference cooling.

I guess your ambients must be much higher than mine.

Gonna give the BIOS a go, I'm stable at 1215/3580 @ +38 (1.187v). I doubt an extra 25mv will grant any higher but it's worth a shot.

Not here are you watching a flash video?

It was actually the driver @ fault. I had switched power management mode from "adaptive" to "prefer maximum performance" for some benchmarking and forgot to switch it back.

It was actually the driver @ fault. I had switched power management mode from "adaptive" to "prefer maximum performance" for some benchmarking and forgot to switch it back.

I didn't even know there was such an option on nVidia desktop cards. I never had such an option on my AMD desktop GPU so assumed there wouldn't be for my nVidia card (My first nVidia card before someone asks how I couldn't have known).

Anybody here with a Gigabyte reference card, Could you post your max voltage? With +38(Max OV) in Precision X I only reach 1.187v.

Some people on 780 stock BIOS are seeing the same thing on their cards... the one here in the OP should give you 1.2125v though. I'd love to hear what your OC goes to with it!

Anybody here with a Gigabyte reference card, Could you post your max voltage? With +38(Max OV) in Precision X I only reach 1.187v.

For whatever its worth my EVGA SC Reference also came with max 1.187 before the modded bios.

I think this varies... My titan wasn't able to get above 1.20V with the stock vbios, whereas Conkers could easily set it to 1.212V. I'm not 100% sure about what exactly the cause of this is. ASIC seems unlikely.

I got my EVGA SC cards and was going to flash, but ran into something that scared me. Says "WARNING Firmware image PCI Device ID does not match adapter PCI device ID."

Is this normal? I've never ran into that issue before when flashing in the past and I'm not confident in doing so now with a warning on my screen.

Edit: With some research I read that it's normal. So I guess I'll flash it anyways and try it out.

Flash worked out great, no more throttling, better overclocks (I'll post them when it's conclusive).

Only issue is that my max voltage seems to be 1.162v. Shouldn't that be 1.21v?

Edit: Nevermind, it's an issue with Afterburner, Precision X allowas 1.21v

• Thumbs Up 1

• Founder
Flash worked out great, no more throttling, better overclocks (I'll post them when it's conclusive).

Only issue is that my max voltage seems to be 1.162v. Shouldn't that be 1.21v?

Edit: Nevermind, it's an issue with Afterburner, Precision X allowas 1.21v

Our recommended software is nv inspector, it is compact and has shortcuts for overclock settings. It also works best with the vbios found on this site.

Sent from my GT-N7000

Our recommended software is nv inspector, it is compact and has shortcuts for overclock settings. It also works best with the vbios found on this site.

Sent from my GT-N7000

Yeah, I wanted to try it but the latest version seemed to be dated over a month ago so I wasn't sure if the 780 was supported yet.

Ok I'm getting a bit worried... my card stopped displaying and I'm on my onboard trying to figure out what's going on. It's plugged in but not being recognized right now.

Did my card just die?

• Founder

Doubt your card died but what were you doing prior to the display going out on you? When you overclock too far with Precision X and it fails and the computer screen goes black, it sometimes keeps those clocks on reboot so you end up in a loop. Press F8 during POST to enter safe mode and then uninstall Precision X and then restart. That should let you get back into Windows. At that point I'd stick with NV Inspector if you're going to do overclocking that pushes your cards to the limit or turn off Precision X from automatically starting with Windows.

I was able to get the card working again by connecting my new one and doing SLI, but here's the weird part, although that card booted back up, I flashed it back to stock bios because I was scared I'd need to rma it. The second card isn't being detected now (The one I just opened).

By the way, when I say not being detected I mean in Bios, not just windows.

Try resetting the CMOS of your mobo. If that doesn't work, place the one that's not detected in the first suitable PCIe slot in single card configuration. Reset CMOS again if necessary. If that works verify with the other card whether it's not a problem with your PCIe slot.

Did what you asked, was thinking about trying that too, but the same results, no detection of that second card. Gonna try it again on the second pci-e slot, but its not looking good. This card was just out of the box too, never been powered up. Could be a DOA :-/

Edit: Okay it works! It is detected on the top PCI-E slot after doing Cmos reset. Now to see if it will detect on the bottom slot... if not then my motherboard has issues?

Edit 2: Yeah, nothing powers up from that PCI-E... safe to assume my motherboard?

I had an issue with my 780 always giving my main monitor some "Out of Range" message and I think I've pinpointed it to EVGA precision X. I want to just use NVinspector the only issue I have with it is that it has no custom fan setup, what do you guys use for that? I guess afterburner would work but it seems a bit redundant to have both of those programs.

• Founder

Are you trying to alter the refresh rate clock with Precision? That message usually appears when you try to go beyond your display's refresh rate.

Are you trying to alter the refresh rate clock with Precision? That message usually appears when you try to go beyond your display's refresh rate.

No. I didn't even touch them. I just noticed after I installed precision every time I rebooted my main monitor would be a black screen that stated out of range. If I swapped the DVI cables and made my left monitor my main one, the issue would go away, but I didn't want to do that so I kept trying to figure out why it did it. At first I thought the bios flash caused it, then I realized it didn't make sense to assume that. Right now I'm pretty sure that's the program causing it. I have it uninstalled and haven't ran into the issue again (at the moment anyways).

Thanks for all the help so far. I'm going to sleep. I have to think about what I want to do now. Motherboard is still under warranty but who likes waiting a month for a refurb. Not quite sure why the second PCI-E won't work.

Also, what do you guys use for custom fan profiles?

Edit: wow it has nothing to do with precision X... what the heck can be causing the out of range message?

Make sure your BIOS is up to date. RMA is annoying since it can take a lot of time... very true.

On another note, 770 got released, if anyone wants a mod, I need the files... :)

Yeah, thanks for all the help guys. Sorry for cluttering the thread. I'll get back to testing the bios when I can but I think the motherboard has problems, going to get it RMA'd. Both cards give me out of range monitor errors on boot up and the second pci-e slot seems dead.