Laptop large storage options? I'm out of space.

I currently have a 60GB Intel 520 Series SSD and a 500GB 7200rpm Toshiba HDD (in ODD slot).

I'm straining for space. I have multiple externals filled. But that doesn't help much for files that I need more constantly and when I'm away from an AC outlet (I use 1,2, & 3 TB externals that require AC power).

I cannot use a mSATA drive due to a hardware whitelist (booooo~~)

I was thinking of getting something like this (256GB would be much better) to hold some of my music:

Amazon.com: Lexar Professional 400x 128GB SDXC UHS-I Flash Memory Card LSD128CTBNA400: Computers & Accessories

I can just leave it in my card reader slot.

As for SSD/HDD:

Opinion on SSHD (aka hybrid SSD/HDD drive)?

A 1TB 7200 rpm drive would be a minimum. A 1.5TB or larger would be a bit more ideal, but for the price, 1TB is probably the better bet.

I will probably upgrade to a 120GB or 240GB SSD, but that is for a later time.

Input?

Watch out for height on the 1TB+ drives. Some are 15mm instead of the standard 9.5mm, which likely will not fit. Also the big drives tend to be only 5400rpm.

This is the only 7200rpm 1TB I found on newegg: Newegg.com - Hitachi GST Travelstar 0S03563 1TB 7200 RPM RPM 32MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 2.5" Internal Notebook Hard Drive

Only $90 so that looks like your best option.

• Thumbs Up 2

Watch out for height on the 1TB+ drives. Some are 15mm instead of the standard 9.5mm, which likely will not fit. Also the big drives tend to be only 5400rpm.

This is the only 7200rpm 1TB I found on newegg: Newegg.com - Hitachi GST Travelstar 0S03563 1TB 7200 RPM RPM 32MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 2.5" Internal Notebook Hard Drive

Gladly I can use a 15mm drive in my HDD caddy.

Also, that does look like quite a nice HDD, good reviews too. I'll probably get that.

I own a sshd (seagate momentus xt3) as a secondary and the nand makes no difference because its a secondary. just get a plain hdd like khenglish posted.

I thought that might be the case, I'll certainly stay away from them for now.

Gladly I can use a 15mm drive in my HDD caddy.

Also, that does look like quite a nice HDD, good reviews too. I'll probably get that.

I thought that might be the case, I'll certainly stay away from them for now.

You can use 15mm? Well that opens up your options. The 15mms are far more expensive though. Even with them the one I linked still looks best bang for your buck.

• 2 weeks later...

Got this drive in today! I'm loving it so far. Very fast/nice HDD especially for the price. Stays nice and cool too (28C).

Thanks again @Khenglish.

I know your issue is solved, but people should keep NAS solutions in mind. With the right software and router or a little, old PC, you can get a NAS/micro server that you can basically access from anywhere. I have a small nettop setup with 8tb, which I can access from anywhere at any time, and I can stream music/video from it from any device.

I know your issue is solved, but people should keep NAS solutions in mind. With the right software and router or a little, old PC, you can get a NAS/micro server that you can basically access from anywhere. I have a small nettop setup with 8tb, which I can access from anywhere at any time, and I can stream music/video from it from any device.

I would like to have one, but I move around a LOT, and my home 'net is utter trash. And the stuff I keep on my HDD is stuff that I like to be accessed wherever I am (music, games, and software). I just have a heap of externals lol. I might starting moving stuff to a NAS in the future, how is yours setup (case,mobo,cpu,drives,raid config,os)?

1 tb 2.5 usb 3.0 external drive would help....

256 gb ssd would help if you can spare about 170 to 220 bucks for that as well.

I have:

1x 750gb usb 2.0 3.5"

1x 1tb usb 2.0 2.5"

1x 1tb usb 3.0 2.5"

1x 2tb usb 3.0 3.5"

1x 3tb usb 3.0 3.5"

I'm lookin into larger SSDs, but will hold-off for a bit.

why so many drives?

They fill up.... with LOTS of media.

I had to move stuff over from one of them cause it was BURNING hot (80C). I will end up building a NAS in the future though for file backup. I guess I'll start a new thread in a more appropriate section.

Lots of media huh....:D. And you need that "media" all the time every day as well?

Sounds like you need a nas, And keep current stuff on the laptop and on an external.

More media than MEDIA surprisingly. I only keep ~200gb of music on my internal. Rest of the heap is on the external. Lots of anime as well. And wallpapers/pics.

NAS post:

http://forum.techinferno.com/general-desktops-discussion/3798-help-nas-build.html

More media than MEDIA surprisingly. I only keep ~200gb of music on my internal. Rest of the heap is on the external. Lots of anime as well. And wallpapers/pics.

NAS post:

http://forum.techinferno.com/general-desktops-discussion/3798-help-nas-build.html

nvm, i don't think it comes with drives....(still can't tell)

http://www.microcenter.com/search/search_results.aspx?N=4294945770+130&cat=9TB-to-12TB-%3a-Network-Attached-Storage-(NAS)-%3a-Hard-Drives-%26-Data-Storage-%3a-Computer-Parts-%3a-Micro-Center