Lenovo Y500 HDD Light?

viciouslancer

• 2 weeks later...

Ya, I believe all the "home" version of Lenovo notebook do not come with HD light. I bought X230 and Y580 recently. X230 has HD led but not Y580. It's lame imo. You can download system tray HD activity icon. There are a few available. Try to google it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
I wanted to see the HDD activity light on my mSATA drive flash, but it's blocked by the plastic casing on the Y500. Probably could mod it, but that's a future endeavor.

Pardon me, I'm not very familiar with mSATA drives, but if I understand you correctly you're saying that the Y500 series actually comes with a stock HDD indicator LED and that it functions, but the casing doesn't have a slot for it and covers it so that it effectively doesn't exist?

... seriously?

Most internal HDD's and SSD's do not have an indicator light, as far as I am aware. Just like code_theory suggested. External cases and computers have them, but that's because the wiring is designed to visually indicate when data is being transferred. I'm not sure about the Y500, but the Y400 definitely has four lights the left side of the case. It's right near the SD slot. There's a light for battery, external power cord, HDD light, and one for Caps lock. The HDD light is actually always on, and I've noticed that it turns off (or blinks) when there's activity. So, it's basically inverted from what you may be accustomed to.

• 3 weeks later...

The HDD activity led is one of the things I really miss on my Y500 and I can only accept taht because of the price. There are some situations I want to know if the notebook is still working or does nothing. Without the led it is not possible.

I use Drives Meter now but thats just a dissappointing compromise.

• 4 weeks later...
Most internal HDD's and SSD's do not have an indicator light, as far as I am aware. Just like code_theory suggested. External cases and computers have them, but that's because the wiring is designed to visually indicate when data is being transferred. I'm not sure about the Y500, but the Y400 definitely has four lights the left side of the case. It's right near the SD slot. There's a light for battery, external power cord, HDD light, and one for Caps lock. The HDD light is actually always on, and I've noticed that it turns off (or blinks) when there's activity. So, it's basically inverted from what you may be accustomed to.

No, that's a trackpad-disabled light -- On mine, at least, it has power, battery, trackpad, caps, in that order.

• 4 years later...