[M17x R3] - BIOS A12

svl7

Yeah... believe it or not, but Dell just posted a new bios for the M17x R3.

... and (*surprise*), they even give a tiny bit information about the changes they made. Under 'fixes & enhancements' it says: "Alienware M17XR3 A12 BIOS add GPU switch option in F2"

Here's the link to the official Dell site: Drivers and Downloads | Dell [united States]

Please let us know how it works out!

As the Dell server currently seems to have some issues regarding this file, I also attached it to this post.

I'm waiting for your reports. If there's enough interest I can unlock and apply the Sata tweak (if necessary).

M17x-R3_A12.zip

• Thumbs Up 4

Hello there,

to be honest I have regged mostly because of this file, otherwise am just a regular watcher.

Am I the only one who is not able to download this BIOS? As well as am unable to download it from DELL site?

I have read that newer BIOS might fix my SSD Vertex 3 not running in SATAIII mode on my M17xR3.

Thanks for reply

EDIT - Nevermind my issue, next time Ill read the PM from admins first.

No, I can't download it from Dell too.

As long as you don't have 5 quality posts or elite membership you can't download it from here either. ->see forum rules!

oh and congratulations on your first post :78:

Long time lurker first time poster. Love svl7's work, really incredible stuff, I have seen him on a few other forums and used some of his bioses.

Anyway, I was wondering if it would be possible to add the A08 SATA behavior to this release like was done with the A10 bios here: http://www.techinferno.com/downloads/?did=30

I would like to have the new option to quickly disable the IGP with 1 change while still retaining the faster A08 SATA performance.

Either way, thanks for all the awesome stuff that comes out of this forum.

Welcome to T|I! :) Well, I guess it shouldn't be a problem, can look into it tomorrow. As I said in the first post, just waiting for some feedback on this bios, I can't test it myself... if people like to have the A12 tweaked as the A10 - sure, I'll see what I can do.

Welcome to T|I! :) Well, I guess it shouldn't be a problem, can look into it tomorrow. As I said in the first post, just waiting for some feedback on this bios, I can't test it myself... if people like to have the A12 tweaked as the A10 - sure, I'll see what I can do.

Awesome.

Me and another guy have tested it and it still has the slowed SATA speeds (hence why I asked about that) but other than that it is kind of nice to turn off Intel graphics by changing the single value rather than having to go through all 3 in the unlocked bios. It might also have some other changes, since they skipped A11, so I would assume there might be something else new there. Perhaps new processor or GPU support? I only have a 580m so I can't test that, but it will be interesting to see if anyone finds any other changes. It would really be sweet if it included better 680m support since currently you don't get boost or 3D on the R3.

If you do release a modded A12 with the SATA fix I will be happy to test it.

• 7 months later...
  • 8 years later...
  • 1 month later...