Poll: Should i cancel my m17x-R3 order and wait for the m18x ?

Michael

Should I cancel the M17x-R3 and wait for M18x ?  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Should I cancel the M17x-R3 and wait for M18x ?

• Yeah, cancel!
    • Forget that overpriced brick, stick with the M17x-R3!

I Read some of the pro and he cons about the M18x and to be honest I am sticking to my m17x R3 that I order a couple of days ago. Why ? Because in the current market there is no better laptop in my mind that the m17x-R3, sure the m18x is alluring and exciting but I personally been waiting for the m17x-R3 for over 3 or 4 months. I remember AW stop offering it after the sandy bridge debacle and is has been the only time that AW didn't offered a 17" Laptop, you only had 2 choices the m11x or the m15x not bad choices in their own rights but I was sold on the m17x.

Then AW started offering the m17x-R2 again, but only with ATI Vid cards, I know I might get flame but I wont buy a laptop with ATI vid cards, not even on X-fire. So Finally just a week or 2 ago the m17x-R3 was back on the roaster and I made my move.

I been waiting for this laptop for a long time, and yes the m18x might be the best thing since sliced bread, bring world peace and find Jimmy Hoffa , but I know that the m17x-R3 is the machine for me.

• Thumbs Up 1

It's like saying I won't ever buy Alienware again because I have had crap experience with M11x (with literally every possible part of it). Both ATI cards work fine on my M17x-R2. I am still looking forward to T|I review of R3, but I don't see where all the hype is coming from. The only advantage I see is that it weighs 1kg less (while still being pretty heavy) and uses a single card that can match up the crossfire setup of R2. Is it at least more quiet?

In all other aspects, it's equally capable or worse machine than R2. Out of curiosity, which graphic card did you buy then?

might prove incorrect, but based on previous rumors/speculations/patterns, predict the M18x will essentially be same system (ie: finish/panel/motherboard) as the M17x R3 only with dual gpu's and @inch larger screen (@size & weight of M17x R2). so your choice may be spot on for best balance of power/portability...

might prove incorrect w/finish aspect:

Dell - Help Me Choose: Alienware Colors

still predict motherboard will be shared between the two systems, yet maybe an extra panel variation from that which is found in M17x R3? probably not too much longer to find out! ;)

Edited by vikingrinn

• Founder

still predict motherboard will be shared between the two systems, yet maybe an extra panel variation from that which is found in M17x R3? probably not too much longer to find out! ;)

I got a date from Eric G. according to him the launch date is April 19th.

p.s good find!! we got a anodized aluminum body confirmation.

• Founder

I don't see M18x there, I'm assuming it was?

Hi Michael first let me commend you on having created such amazing place for the masses like us.

Now I know you basing you decision on Eric G blog and the snafu on Dell UK and some other tidy bits of leaked information, my question is what would you do when and If the m18x comes out and you cant afford it(in the configuration that you would have gotten a m17x-r3) or having the promise of dual cards don't work as you expected.

Case and point I have an m17x-R1 with dual nvidia video cards in SLI(Nvidia GTX260M ),the computer is great but the promise of SLI power has never been realized and until recently I couldn't even play a decent game without my screen flickering like i was stuck back in the 60's and we are talking about a $4600 price tag AW.(issue was fixed by A07 bios release)

In the end I think is wonderful that you have this poll and you allow us to give you our 2 cents, kudos for that, but before I mount a frontal attack on my Dell representative trying to cancel my order and asking for the m18x I would definitely would like some official word by Dell or Alienware on the matter, just to make sure we ain't chasing Moby dick or the loch Ness monster.

(Note i spoke with an Alienware Rep and told me that if my laptop is in production and the m18x comes out I can refuse my package and the 15% restocking fee would be waive as long as and order is place for a new system, go figure)

• Thumbs Up 2

wbat007 you make a great point. All kidding aside I agree with you, I think the M18x is mysterious and elusive that what makes the idea of it so attractive. Without confirmation that it has the features you want and at the price set you want don't put all your eggs in one basket. I think we can be sure M18X is confirmed but what features and parts are not guaranteed. WBAT007 great advice. Until it's release the M18X's specs are simply stipulatory.

• Founder
Hi Michael first let me commend you on having created such amazing place for the masses like us.

Now I know you basing you decision on Eric G blog and the snafu on Dell UK and some other tidy bits of leaked information, my question is what would you do when and If the m18x comes out and you cant afford it(in the configuration that you would have gotten a m17x-r3) or having the promise of dual cards don't work as you expected.

Case and point I have an m17x-R1 with dual nvidia video cards in SLI(Nvidia GTX260M ),the computer is great but the promise of SLI power has never been realized and until recently I couldn't even play a decent game without my screen flickering like i was stuck back in the 60's and we are talking about a $4600 price tag AW.(issue was fixed by A07 bios release)

In the end I think is wonderful that you have this poll and you allow us to give you our 2 cents, kudos for that, but before I mount a frontal attack on my Dell representative trying to cancel my order and asking for the m18x I would definitely would like some official word by Dell or Alienware on the matter, just to make sure we ain't chasing Moby dick or the loch Ness monster.

(Note i spoke with an Alienware Rep and told me that if my laptop is in production and the m18x comes out I can refuse my package and the 15% restocking fee would be waive as long as and order is place for a new system, go figure)

hey there! glad you like it here ;)

well money wise I think I am good because I was lucky enough to sell my R2 in israel for about the same price I bought it for in US a year ago.

I expect the m18x to be in the same price range as the R2 was when it launched. as for the dual video cards setup- well, I think there will be problems but history shows us that Dell deals with those problems eventually and if they don't we can always demand our money back.

what you describe about the r1 you have is outrageous and if I were you i would call dell support every day until I get my money back/a replacement R2 or R3.

configuration wise the m18x can't surprise us much.

we know it will be a dual card machine so 6970 in XF will be an option (plus nvidia 460 and maybe even 485 in SLI but those aren't attractive for me at least)

we know it's going to have a 18" 16:9 screen which will give about the same screen real estate as the R2 17" 1200p screen offers but it won't be rgb led probably. if they decide to give us a IPS screen or 16:10 aspect ration (highly unlikely) even better!

it will be anodized aluminum as we saw yesterday from the link that by now was fixed.. here is a screenshot of it:

aw18.png

it will of course be sandy bridge based so no surprises there.

it will support SATA 3 and USB 3.

So just looking at the those facts it is already looking like quite an interesting machine, add to that the delays that Dell has with R3s (mine was ordered on march 19 with a edd of April 12 which was pushed to may 7 right before I canceled) I think it's wise to wait and see ;)

sure Dell can somehow screw things up and make the m18x a disappointment but then I'll just reorder the R3 and get it fast because hopefully their production bottlenecks will be resolved by then.

Edited by Michael
  • Thumbs Up 2

I really starting to like this place a lot. I have to say Michael you make a lot of sense, your post is well written and insightful and above all it makes sense.

It seems that you might be getting that m18x after all, let see what dell does, and if and is a big IF m18x comes out before mine get deliver i will raise hell for sure and take a second look at it, off course by then we will know for sure what they will offer.

I am very happy I found this place, people here are intelligent and are able to communicate clearly without flaming others, and above all the massive information floating around.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Founder
I really starting to like this place a lot. I have to say Michael you make a lot of sense, your post is well written and insightful and above all it makes sense.

It seems that you might be getting that m18x after all, let see what dell does, and if and is a big IF m18x comes out before mine get deliver i will raise hell for sure and take a second look at it, off course by then we will know for sure what they will offer.

I am very happy I found this place, people here are intelligent and are able to communicate clearly without flaming others, and above all the massive information floating around.

T|I was created exactly for the reasons you mention.

We want a free open dialog here without flaming each other but also without the Big Brother closing threads/erasing posts just because it's speculation ;)

I am dying to order the M18x and i really hope that the 4/19 date that has been thrown around quite a lot is true.

Now I know you basing you decision on Eric G blog and the snafu on Dell UK and some other tidy bits of leaked information

(...)

before I mount a frontal attack on my Dell representative trying to cancel my order and asking for the m18x I would definitely would like some official word by Dell or Alienware on the matter, just to make sure we ain't chasing Moby dick or the loch Ness monster.

I got an email, as of January the 10th 2011, from a Dell's Senior Representative (not in sales) stating the M18X will indeed be given birth. I will not show it here (cause I told him I wouldn't), so you have to take my word on it. The M18X will truly be launched in April. So, NO, we aren't chasing Moby Dick nor any other phantomatic monster.

As far as I know, but this might depend on your very own country, you usualy have kind of ± 7 to 10 days to return your spaceship without any restocking fees. Or, you could simply refuse the delivery straight at the door, you do not accept the box, so you don't unpack anything, you just refuse the good when delivered. This way, it's returned to Dell and you get your full credit back.

eYe

Edited by eYe-I-aïe...
  • Thumbs Up 2

Hay guys im new here and just posted a thread about this same issue! sorry!

Question my final price was 2200 shipped. my build for m18x would be 6970 xfire 2720qm, 4gb ram and 1920x1080 screen. how much do you all think it would run? under 300? im hoping it will be 2500 shipped. but not holding my breath.

anyone know what the scaling is on the 6970m's in Xfire?

• Founder
Hay guys im new here and just posted a thread about this same issue! sorry!

Question my final price was 2200 shipped. my build for m18x would be 6970 xfire 2720qm, 4gb ram and 1920x1080 screen. how much do you all think it would run? under 300? im hoping it will be 2500 shipped. but not holding my breath.

anyone know what the scaling is on the 6970m's in Xfire?

Based on the Canadian prices, I think 1080p base configuration with dual 6970M should be about $2100-$2200. The 6970M's should scale about 80-100% since they are still largely based on the evergreen architecture.

have resisted actually voting in this poll so far, as individual usage should prove the deciding factor. this gadget (and it's 17.3" sibling) does make for quite the 'shoulder angel' conflict, lol!~ :P

Edited by vikingrinn

Ok! Good news!

Just got off the phone with alienware new system agent. I told him I wanted to cancel my m17x order and get an 18x and am willing to spend more money to do it. He confirmed the m18x is comming very soon, withen my 21 day return period, edd is the 21st, he said to call him back and he can arrainge an rma with no restocking fee.

I'll have it ordered on it's release day and expect a very thorough gamut of benchmarks upon arrival! =)

• Thumbs Up 1

• Founder
Ok! Good news!

Just got off the phone with alienware new system agent. I told him I wanted to cancel my m17x order and get an 18x and am willing to spend more money to do it. He confirmed the m18x is comming very soon, withen my 21 day return period, edd is the 21st, he said to call him back and he can arrainge an rma with no restocking fee.

I'll have it ordered on it's release day and expect a very thorough gamut of benchmarks upon arrival! =)

Awesome news! I've also got some good news, I received my M17x-R2 payment today and have 3 people interested in purchasing the M17x-R3 so I should have the R3 sold in short order. Hopefully by next week I have the full funds to grab the M18x on release day :)

And Viking, it is a tough decision :)

• Thumbs Up 1

I am really afraid of what the Australian pricing is going to end up as.

Currently our dollar is higher. Usually dell AU set the price as 50%-100% higher than the USA counterpart, touting "exchange rate" as the reason.

When I tried to configure a M17x R3 for a baseline, it came up at over $5000 for a 2820qm + 6970m... thats fucking ridiculous, especially with our dollar being higher.

I have a feeling the M18x is gonna end up being around $6000 AUD with a 2920qm and dual 6970m. If it is, fuck that. I will be using a mail forwarder or something.

Any esitmate on US pricing for the M18x yet?

-Ash

• Founder
I am really afraid of what the Australian pricing is going to end up as.

Currently our dollar is higher. Usually dell AU set the price as 50%-100% higher than the USA counterpart, touting "exchange rate" as the reason.

When I tried to configure a M17x R3 for a baseline, it came up at over $5000 for a 2820qm + 6970m... thats fucking ridiculous, especially with our dollar being higher.

I have a feeling the M18x is gonna end up being around $6000 AUD with a 2920qm and dual 6970m. If it is, fuck that. I will be using a mail forwarder or something.

Any esitmate on US pricing for the M18x yet?

-Ash

US pricing should be about $1920-$2000 starting. If you need help with the ordering process, just PM me and I'll forward the system to you. I did the same for Jubbin when he purchased his M17x-R2.

• Thumbs Up 3

US pricing should be about $1920-$2000 starting. If you need help with the ordering process, just PM me and I'll forward the system to you. I did the same for Jubbin when he purchased his M17x-R2.

That's very nice of you Brain. I really hope I can find a way to get the M18 as a replacement.

• Thumbs Up 1

Based on the Canadian prices, I think 1080p base configuration with dual 6970M should be about $2100-$2200.

I'm not holding out that the prices attached to the M18 on the Canadian site were all that reliable. I have as much faith that the upgrade to a crossfire 6970 from a single card 460m will be $150 as I have on my engagement to Adriana Lima in a months time!

• Founder
I'm not holding out that the prices attached to the M18 on the Canadian site were all that reliable. I have as much faith that the upgrade to a crossfire 6970 from a single card 460m will be $150 as I have on my engagement to Adriana Lima in a months time!

lol I don't think it'll be a $150 upgrade either but I think the base price was accurate.