Problem; ATI display driver, cfx 5870m, w7

I've installed the new ccc 11.3software suite (8.831.2.0.). I had 8.763-100810a-104118C-Dell, A01, which came with the computer and also the new vbios. I got blue screen when maxed out graphics on games, but only when cfx is enabled.

Then, lowering the graphics to 8MMAA and not 16, will let me play the games with cfx wich i find strange? The games I got problem with is retailed games like AVP, sacred2 and the witcher. Games I've bought through steam, all runs well with cfx, but i don't think that's the issue. These games are Half-life2, section8, Crysis2 and Left4dead.

The problem was the same with both the new and old ati-display drivers acording to cfx.

Disabling cfx, and no problem/blue screen on max graphics.

blue screen tells me it's a fail with ati-display driver, and close game\programs and automaticaly boots up in normal mode. Then W7 detects the message and seeks for solution, telling me that 'ATI display driver has stopped working properly'. There's only one 5870 card showing under device manager and ccc hasn't got the cfx option. Then i boot up again and both cards are showing and ccc has enabled cfx option!

I read that microsoft, saying that W7 want have any good support for sli/cfx??? hope the sources are wrong. Anyway many people seems to have problem with cfx, but I wonder if there is the ccc because it's strange that i can run on middel\high settings on the games and not the highest!

• Founder

When you say, "MMAA" I'm assuming you're referring to morophological antialiasing (MLAA). At 16x it could just be the framebuffer running out of memory or running into game compatibility errors. Can you post your exact CCC settings for us? Also, when you installed your new driver, did you uninstall the previous one through the control panel? Welcome to T|I.

Thanks for fast reply brian, and yes i uninstalled and run ccleaner after, then installed the new drivers. And i'm new to computer (noob ;))

Excuse my english, i'm from norway x) ... below follows my ccc setup:

-STANDARD 3D SETTINGS: ccc overrides my 3d setting in games

-MIPMAPPING: 3/4 towards performance= performans

-ENABLED CFX: yes, it's enabled

-ANTI-ALIASING: Let the application control anti-aliasing

-ANTI-ALIASING MODE: Performance(Multi-sample AA)

-ANISOTROPIC FILTERING: Use application settings(allows 3d application to enable\disable anisotropic filtering)

I've been using the new 11.4 preview drivers, what if you try them. A great utility to run like ccleaner to supplement its registry cleaner is driversweeper hosted on guru3d.

thx, and will try driversweeper next time i upgrade ati disp.drivers, though i used ccleaner before i installed the new and i'm shure they're installed correctly. Think i stay with the 11.3 +cap cause games realy runs great on them. Anyway i think maybe try to change some settings in ccc. I also think it has something to do with ccc, cause the same fault happend with the drivers dell shipped with it also, so...

I find the 11.4 beta drivers with the 11.3 CAP1 to run great myself (better in games than the 11.3 drivers).

It may be in your interest just to give them a go and see what happens (if it fixes your issue and you still get good gameplay than it is win/win in my book).

As for cleaning your old drivers... I do not think driversweeper is "necessary" (I use ccleaner myself) but it does not hurt to use driversweeper AND ccleaner.

Good luck

D.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Founder

Just to echo what everyone else said, I would recommend 11.4 preview drivers, they work quite well. You can grab them from here: http://forum.techinferno.com/general-notebook-discussions/182-amd-catalyst-11-4-preview-driver-windows-7-a.html I would recommend setting your CCC to default (click the default button) and running your games again and see if you BSOD.

• Thumbs Up 1

Yes, I have it installed since it first came out, didn't have a problem with it, though I still wonder what did the update change that affects the cfx issues best_re6 had

Good question can't be sure on that yet, I don't remember having Crossfire Issues prior to Service Pack 1's install. I do know I've had issue with unplugging the system and plugging it back in and having crossfire still enabled. Stealth Mode has gotten me on occasion and disables crossfire and doesn't always turn it back on. Both really aren't issues but they caught me off guard and now I know to be sure the settings haven't been changed.

No, actualy i got problem again, so??? Installed the ccc11.4+11.3cap2, but didn't fix cfx issue on max setting. I guess it's all about the game-developers having to fix sli/cfx better. Hope amd will have and improving of drivers around this issue also.

download CF Extension program, ill try to find the link it allows you to set a custom CF profile on any game that launches. They talk about it here having trouble finding a working download link. Let me know if it helps and you can find it if not I believe I have it and can upload it for you some how. ATI CrossFire Xtension v1.4 - A way to force crossfire w/ profiles [Archive] - XtremeSystems Forums

• Thumbs Up 2

@mw86, thx a mill x) ...now i can play on max settings without getting blue screen!! you made my day :)

Really, I'm glad that helped. That's awesome it resolved your problem. For other people to see... what game or program did that help you with?

• Thumbs Up 1

Games i now can run on max is; AVP(very high, 16x),Sacred2 Fallen angel, Crysis2 at Hardcore and 1920x1200. Before i used the CF Extension program, i got problem when running the above games at fullest graphics, so i could only run at med/high settings. Thats strange, but it seems that the drivers get problem on max settings in crossfire-mode in some games!! Anyway after using this program my games runs smooth at its fullest!! I'm shure AMD knows of these issue acording to cfx in SOME games, not all. I'm shure they will improve their crossfire drivers to be more stable in time.