Where is GeoCake?

Hahaha. Well I'm not sure, I too have noticed that he's not around. He is from the UK same as me and nothing special has been going on here at the moment. Maybe he's taking a break from the interwebz as it is exam period and he needs to focus on his work?

Yeah, I was really busy at college the past few weeks, but I'm now done until September (will be starting my top-up year at Uni then).

The main reason for my absense is that my 7970M died a while ago lol, same symptoms as graz'zt from NBR. Quite a big downer there, hence me being quiet and keeping my mouth shut. I did manage to make it work after loads of attempts, but whenever the gaming clocks kick in, it crashes to a black screen. After that the BIOS just didn't detect it. Luckily for me a replacement will be here in 2-3 days, and it will be a nice OEM card. I've also ordered an AMD heatsink for it... guess using the Nvidia one was a massive mistake, I was too stubborn to bother changing.

What sucks even more is that after 100+ hours of pure Diablo 3 addiction, my 580M which I've been using in the meantime passed away, just black screens after 30 seconds (pretty sure the game killed it, because people have been complaining). But that didn't stop me, so I have been using my old laptop w/ a 5870M. I can tell you now, going from a 7970M to a 5870M is painful. :(

Buttttttt, honestly no need for this thread. :P

Well, I use 5870M crossfire and max out Diablo3 on 1920x1200. I think it's locked to about 60 FPS due to VSYNC. In fact, I'd even argue the picture looks far prettier than on M17xR3/R4 and M18x due to the RGB LED backlighting, higher resolution and pixel density. :P

I checked the temps during Diablo3 and they are usually in the ~77 C range on both cards (stock clocks), so I don't see any problems there. Isn't the 7970M supposed to run even cooler?

• Thumbs Up 1

I get 215fps peak and atleast 180-170fps in the heaviest of scenes in xfire on 7970m on stock clocks with slight undervolt. Funnny thing is at stock volts i get only 180fps max?? Weird. Since undervolt not an issue. But on overvolt or a small overclock son stock volts in diablo3 i get feezing. @Michael. On guru3d 12.5 beta 7900mod.

Black screen is caused by numerous issues all different. Okay hwinfo used to cause it and its from reading certain sensors which is fixed now. Some OSD apps can cause the black screen. To high an overclock causes it. To high of volts causes it even on stock clocks. Certain games with xfire enabled in system even if its disabled on a per app basis its still unstable such as Witcher 2. If i hvave one card in system not one game gives me issue. If i have both in and crossfire on no matter what even if srt to single card on an app in CCC and or radeon pro witcher crashes no matter what. Yet handles butteery smooth with just one card in system.

I can say you can catagorize the black scren into two groups. Black scren and system is still working ie sound runs in backround if i open task manager and clse the game im back as normal to desktop etc. Sometimes it wont but i kansow its not frozen as i hear sound running normal and see hd activity. The second is a straight u crash or freeze and it shows black screen but sound is f'd as in its like a screech of sound and i must hold power button 4 seconds to shutdown system manually the wrong way. That one shows hd activity halted and is a full on crash/freeze. Hope i was a help with this info any questiins let me know. Id like to see if others can see the same