Solid State Hybrid Drive on m14x

I have a pretty good idea. It has few GB of fast NAND memory (500GB Seagate Momentus XT has 4GB NAND memory). It's the same idea of how any kind of cache memory on your computer works. Except that in this case it is quite a big cache memory. It has a I believe it's own controller that is supposed to figure out what data is being used more often and cache it in NAND. In other words, based on your usage it will attempt to predict what data from your hard drive will be accessed and have that stuff there for faster access. I am guessing a part of your Windows / Program Files folder will eventually end up there as a result.

I am not aware of a possibility to use the NAND memory and the rest of the disk storage space separately as two separate drives (so I think it is not possible).

• Thumbs Up 1

• 5 months later...
I'm sorry for my dimmy's question:

In my M14 R2 are two drives: ssd 32gb and hdd 750gb. It's work with Intel Rapid. Is it one or two devices ? If it's two - can I replace ssd 32gb with other ssd ?

The SSD should be replaceable. It sounds like is m-sata and they sell larger sized ssd for that

Paranoid Galaxy S3 on Tapatalk 2

mw86, thanks. But I disassembled yesterday my notebook and saw this ssd Samsung 32Gb... It very small. To replace it on usual noutbuchny it is not obviously possible... I read about it - it is created to work together with usual HDD.

Okay so it works with your regular drive to be like a cache etc.

Paranoid Galaxy S3 on Tapatalk 2

The m14x R2's SSD is an mSATA SSD. It is replaceable/upgradeable. And you can load Windows onto it if you want. The way the mSATA SSD is configured from factory is as a cache drive. That means the SSD will act as a kind of RAM to boost the speed of your regular installed hard drive. You can change this setting to make the cache drive into a regular partitioned drive, but I wouldn't advise it on an mSATA as small as 32GB. You can always remove the stock SSD and install a bigger one. The mSATA SSD is located under the battery, just to the left of the WiFi card. Here is an example of a larger capacity mSATA SSD; it has more than enough room for windows to be installed on it. Newegg.com - Crucial M4 CT256M4SSD3 mSATA 256GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

• Thumbs Up 1