7970M from eBay

Thumper_23

I asked the guy if the card was ES and he said"we are shipping MP (Mass Production) cards - nor ES or QS" I asked if a Eurocomm card would work in an M3 he said"yes, it will work in Alienware as long as you get proper EC/BIOS from them" The card is $450 plus $25 shipping.Can you guys give me your opinion on wether this sounds OK or should I try to get a Dell card which will probably be next to impossible.A couple of guys on that "other" forum are buying from this guy.The name is upgradeyourlaptop.Let me hear from you.Thanks. He just sent me another email in response to my question what does MP mean "MP means final version; after ES and QS" really $450 for OEM?

Edited by usmc362

Well, apparently the card works fine in the R3, the BIOS of it contains all the necessary functions and information to make a regular MXM 3.0 card work, so I don't think you're going to run into any serious issues. I don't know about proper fan support, that's not directly connected to the MXM specs.

Been quite busy recently with studying etc., not a lot of time for gaming at all, but I'm already planning on putting a 7970m in my old M15x :)

I don't really now yet, one of the only possible sources is probably Eurocom (upgradeyourlaptop), though I'd prefer a Dell card. It's too early to tell at the moment, not a single vendor is selling them officially so far.

be careful maybe see what those other users end up receiving... but when they do get sold for sure... its going to be a beast... like a desktop card in your laptop

• 1 month later...

Anyone buyed yet? And why there's no Guide for installing it into M17x r2? :(

(Or should this work the same as with the 6970m?)

No Guide - I won't buy it.

To my knowledge there are already 7970m's working in M17x R2. Haven't found a guide but as far as I know they drop right in and don't require mods. I think you can use the driver SVL7 uses for M15x and undervolt the cards slightly leaving stock clocks and they should run fine in your power range provided by the M17x R2. As long as your cpu overclock if you have one isn't sky high...