AMD based graphics switching doesn't work???

I don't think that you need the igpu drivers as if I remember correctly they are already bundled with the dell stock drivers, but I could easily be wrong there. I have always perfered nvidia drivers as they are a lot more easy to use, but the deal on my 6990m was to good to pass up.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S2 using tapatalk 2

Well talked with Dell, followed their instructions and it worked for an hour again then wouldn't work after letting the computer sit for a while. dell thinks I have a bad 6990 and they are going to figure out if the can reproduce the problem with a system with the same specs and software which at this point is BF3, firefox and yahoo IM. I used my second HDD and restored my system to factory OS and after sitting for about 5 hours it wouldn't switch from the keys or the software so dell might either replace the 6990 or offer me a nvidia card.

which nvidia card matches the 6990?

any m17xr3 owners that have a nvidia card what is your F7 key have on it. mine is dedicated to graphics switching was wondering if switching cards would really make any difference or would I have to replace the keyboard too?

Well I will post after they call me back what they offer to see what you guys think before I give my answer. I threw in the convo with the tech that I was retired army and it really turned the guy around to helping me. Didn't really like playing that card but it seems to have gotten my issue attention on their end and he stopped doubting my ability to work on my system. He was going to send a tech to check out my baby but I gave him my certifications and said I was a SSG in the army and that I am working on becoming a tech for dell. So i can work on my system so I am lucky and no strangers fingers will be inside this alien.

Well talked with Dell, followed their instructions and it worked for an hour again then wouldn't work after letting the computer sit for a while. dell thinks I have a bad 6990 and they are going to figure out if the can reproduce the problem with a system with the same specs and software which at this point is BF3, firefox and yahoo IM. I used my second HDD and restored my system to factory OS and after sitting for about 5 hours it wouldn't switch from the keys or the software so dell might either replace the 6990 or offer me a nvidia card.

which nvidia card matches the 6990?

any m17xr3 owners that have a nvidia card what is your F7 key have on it. mine is dedicated to graphics switching was wondering if switching cards would really make any difference or would I have to replace the keyboard too?

Well I will post after they call me back what they offer to see what you guys think before I give my answer. I threw in the convo with the tech that I was retired army and it really turned the guy around to helping me. Didn't really like playing that card but it seems to have gotten my issue attention on their end and he stopped doubting my ability to work on my system. He was going to send a tech to check out my baby but I gave him my certifications and said I was a SSG in the army and that I am working on becoming a tech for dell. So i can work on my system so I am lucky and no strangers fingers will be inside this alien.

great maybe it has to do with the lcd dimming or powering off or additionally do you sleep you system over a period of time if so I found in power options its important on windows 7 to enable "hybrid sleep" to allow sleep to actually function correctly atleast on two laptops ive used. could something these systems do in idle effect that function you know something that goes low power but may not be resuming proper... each time you say it does it after leaving system on for awhile?

The Nvidia GT580M is the only one equal if your going to get a swap to Nvidia thats the card :) though interestingly the GT580m are not being sold anymore in the M17x R3 on their website.

awesome you get to take care of it :)

on is 100% on no dimming etc. Was in a text chat with a tech and he said the amd card should go into some type of power down like disabling it in device manager and maybe my card isn't doing that which is why it doesn't switch over. I can disable it in DM an it switches and then I can switch back but that is a pain.

Thanks for the info the the nvidia card, will make sure i get that or better if they don't have em now.

great you wont have performance only gets better from 6990m on you can play most games no probs at full graphics :) hmm interesting thanks Staff Sargent I didnt know for M17x R3 you can disable your main gpu and it starts the Intel one :) but yeah that would be annoying it should work as designed.

well to keep the updated. On my own I did a factory restore and installed a bunch of windows updates, one with an Intel something. I have switching working fine and installing BF3 and other software checking that it still works and as of this writing I took this screen capture.

post-305-14494993032122_thumb.png

So far so good, just installed my security software and still working. will make a system image with all my software and then start working my way thought windows updates and see which one knocks out my switching. then I can report this to dell and Microsoft and maybe they can fix it. Pretty sure there are others who have this issue but just don't switch over enough to even know it yet or have not installed the same updates from windows to have it crap out. Not sure how long it will take to go though all the updates think there was about 130 I did at once hehe.

• Thumbs Up 1

thats great Staff Sargent. Looks like your onto something. Im rooting for you. You could save thousands of people the headache of this strange issue.

so far all the software I have installed has done nothing to mess it up. I am going to have a look at avail windows updates and see if I can read about the Intel update I got something tells me that's the issue. Before I test that theory out I am going to create another system image since once it screws up I can't correct it. but at least for today just installing software. Starting to wonder if I will be able to run 12.3 or 12.2 drivers since I know where the issue came from at this point.

so far all the software I have installed has done nothing to mess it up. I am going to have a look at avail windows updates and see if I can read about the Intel update I got something tells me that's the issue. Before I test that theory out I am going to create another system image since once it screws up I can't correct it. but at least for today just installing software. Starting to wonder if I will be able to run 12.3 or 12.2 drivers since I know where the issue came from at this point.

I hope you can use the latest driver :) yeah Windows Update is known with many companies to be the updates of DOOM!

Well found what I hope is the only problem software, Logitech G300 Gaming mouse

• Title: Logitech Gaming Software (Current)
  • Software Version: 8.20.74

I installed this and testing the switching and that little screen I posted wouldn't pop up and it wouldn't auto switch, I quickly uninstalled the mouse software and restarted and the switching works again. So some how this software does something to the switchable graphics app. I plan to write to logitech with my full system specs and everything and see if they with try and patch it or something. I really liked this mouse since they had a profile for BF3 it was easy to program the extra buttons for in game commands. BF3 only sees 2 of my 6 extra buttons with out the software.

Still running stock drivers and have not updated windows, I do have a system image created less then 24hrs ago and might start doing updates and stuff and see how updated I can get without something breaking again LOL.

• Thumbs Up 1

so far without windows updates I have installed 80% of my software and still doing great. Currently installing my steam games and going to do another sys image. After that I was going to test older mouse software and update windows a bit pretty sure its only the mouse software and I have a trouble ticket with Logitech.

• Thumbs Up 1

Yea im betting it was the logitech driver that the issue was with as I have never had issues with any of the windows updates. ;)

Just ran windows updates and fully updated my windows 7 ult. install and its still working!

a few more personal apps but those are mostly image editing and the vmware workstation which I don't think will have any affect since this all started about the time I got the gaming mouse. I had forgot that I had a wireless mouse for the first month of owning the R3 and was able to switch graphics, once I got my gaming mouse I stop needing the ability to switch so didn't notice it as much.

I can say though now i have a clean install with all the software and none of the other crap that was in here. Its also running better then it did before since I have not messed with the video drivers at all. the OC I did really makes the games fly now I just need a new mouse or Logitech to fix the software. Wondering if I should send a message about this to Dell/Alienware and see if they can push things along or find a way to block the issue from happening I don't know.

I just don't understand how the Logitech gaming software, which isn't even a driver really, can mess with the video switching software to the point that a clean install is need to fix it. The software is used for mice and keyboards in logitech gaming line and controlled the extra buttons on my mouse. Guess I would have to know more about how the switching works with AMD/ATI cards.

Anyway this is what I would call solved. Still going to test video driver updates and older versions of the gaming software and see if I can keep it working. This is when I wish i was right handed then getting a new mouse wouldn't be an issue.

Thoughts -

1. Damn I wish the M18X could do that.

2. LOL at how many times you clicked the button for power saving GPU.

3. Have you tried using logitech SetPoint instead of this other software? Might allow you full functionality of your gaming mouse without killing the switching option.

Set point doesn't even see the G300 mouse I tried that about 10 minutes before I made this video.

I was a little frustrated as even Logitech told me to use setpoint which their web site clearly only gives me the choice of the gaming software when it detects the mouse or you pick it and select downloads. I clicked a lot cause I was watching though the camera and couldn't see the color change and I also thought I missed the button.

that's some screwy mouse software... perhaps you can check an install log for that app and see all the areas that app gets its hooks into? Maybe you can tweak it if you find a specific cause for it... maybe it has to do with realtime monitoring for games to launch the specific button config for you... maybe somewhere buried in its system hook is the answer.

Been seeing a lot of people with the same problems on NBR. Wish there was an easy fix. :(

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S2 using tapatalk 2

Well Staff Sargent's prob is that Logitech Software specifically. Has there been more causes identified other than if you install the drivers in a wrong way? The switch method is a little touchy to certain services,drivers or software but from the looks its one awesome ability to switch on the fly when it works. M18x owners like me must restart as you probably know :)

Now if somebody always has a AMD switching issue I always ask if they happen to have a logitech mouse or keyboard. So far the answer has only been yes and the only fix I have seen is to just uninstall the drivers. :(

wow that's crazy man I had no idea the issue was so rampant and the issue is only with Logitech :o