AMD based graphics switching doesn't work???

OK no matter what manner of switching I try I can't seem to go from the 6990 to the intel video for web surfing while unplugged. I have tried:

1. drivers for AMD think I tested about 4

2. uninstalled all video drivers and reinstalled Dell drivers

3. used device manager to disable AMD only to be stuck on intel video

4. my last attempt was to goto a full system backup when the switching work without issue. even with this (which wiped my HDD) I am still stuck without the system switching graphics over.

So do I call dell? try new 12.3 drivers? could this be a hardware issue? I just don't get this and can't say I have heard or read anything like this. I have read about some drivers not working but not like this and there is 100% no chance I will send this laptop to anyplace to be repaired so I am limiting myself on my possible future options I know but no way I will except a used computer as replacement or damage from repair depot. (when I build gaming desktops, I fixed it or replaced with new nothing used and I expect nothing less from alienware and I would spend more then its worth to fight it)

now switching graphics might not be a really big issue but its one of the key points in why i got this system and if it worked would be used daily. System is a few days over 3 months old with accidental warrenty over the normal one. Not that I think I broke it or anything LOL.

temped to remove stock HDD and replace with my 750 HDD and do a USB recovery to factory and see if this issue is still there and if it is I guess that would tell me its a hardware issue. Granted this could be nite quill talkin but in theory it sounds right LMAO.

well what do people think?

[MENTION=305]Staff Sargent[/MENTION] I think you should make sure you have the latest Intel driver from their website. here is all dells trouble shooting which is a great place to start. as uninstalling all AMD updating intel gpu to highest driver and reinstalling AMD drivers then Alienware Command Center and OSD app also their latest version... so i think the trick is in the Command Center software... but see here for M17x official DOCS Alienware M17x R3: Troubleshooting Articles | Dell

issue on DC igp switching ALIENWARE M17X R3 - WILL SHUTDOWN IF, WHILE IN DC MODE, THE KEY COMBINATIONFN+F7 IS INITIATED TO SWITCH GRAPHICS MODE | Dell

Well I checked my drivers and they are currently the same drivers that were installed at the factory and the same when the switching worked. This backup I used only had software installed not even windows was updated when I made this backup. Going to use the recovery USB to put it back to factory and see if the issue remains. If it does then I know its more then just the drivers and then I have to decide if I want to deal with tech support or live with the issue.

I would try uninstalling all of the graphics card drivers and then reinstalling the dell drivers. After you got the dell drivers installed, you can install any AMD driver over top of it and retain the switching. The Key is to make sure you got the dell drivers installed because they have the hybrid switching setup properly for our systems. ;)

just did a factory reset of my system and the switching works again. So going back to the backup I just made this morning. going to uninstall everything that has to do with the video then install it back from dells web site and then try the 12.3 drivers. once I have that done and if it works again going to make another backup and leave this thing alone LOL.

just did a factory reset of my system and the switching works again. So going back to the backup I just made this morning. going to uninstall everything that has to do with the video then install it back from dells web site and then try the 12.3 drivers. once I have that done and if it works again going to make another backup and leave this thing alone LOL.

in addition to Big Tony's advice you must have the latest Alienware Command Center installed too as it has the software hook that pops the "would you like to reboot to switch to IGP" dialogue when you press FN+F7... or press the switchable graphics app in the start menu which is from Alienware command Center... you must use the latest version from Dell's website as the Command Center on our driver disks is outdated and had issues fixed in the new one... hope that helps Sargent

Thanks, I do know its a driver issue and need to wipe all video drivers and uninstall anything related. I do know that the software from factory didn't need a restart to switch so going to clean my system install DELL stuff and then put 12.3 over that since i know factory drivers give me about 20FPS less then the 8.93 version. not sure when I will do it as I feel like total crap today.

You end up getting it working?

still been to lazy LOL, been playing BF3 and with the AMD 6990 working I just don't want to take the time to uninstall it all and make sure its all gone and then the fun of installing the AMD and intel drivers. Last time it worked it took me 3 hours to get the drivers installed right.

Well uninstalled all drivers and OSD, ran driver sweeper, installed Dells drivers for both video cards and it still doesn't work. Might try again soon but really hate how long it takes to do it all and I rather use my laptop then fight with drivers.

yea I know what ya mean. I need a bunch of stuff replaced on my rig, but I can't go without it right now. :(

What happened to your rig? Sucks having hardware issues. We both know how much hassle dell can be sometimes.

Well uninstalled all drivers and OSD, ran driver sweeper, installed Dells drivers for both video cards and it still doesn't work. Might try again soon but really hate how long it takes to do it all and I rather use my laptop then fight with drivers.

I'm sorry SSG it truly is a pain to get all the way to the last step just to find it not working... on my last AMD setup the switching only worked on certain drivers like you just said and was more hassle to me than anything. When I picked drivers for theit performance I found I had then again disabled use of the Intel Switchable Graphics ugghhh I feel your pain.

What happened to your rig? Sucks having hardware issues. We both know how much hassle dell can be sometimes.

Just some wear and tear on the screen and the volume bar at the top is all scratched up from rubbing on the screen again. I also need a mobo replacement as my current one has some weird issue. If I turn my system all the way off and leave it unplugged for a while, the computer refuses to post and when plugged back into the wall rests the BIOS which is annoying. I already replaced the CMOS battery and it kept doing it, so I think I need a new mobo. Just been to busy to call dell. I really can't afford to send it in to the depot at the moment anyway since I need the lappy for school. :(

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Edited by bigtonyman

Just some wear and tear on the screen and the volume bar at the top is all scratched up from rubbing on the screen again. I also need a mobo replacement as my current one has some weird issue. If I turn my system all the way off and leave it unplugged for a while, the computer refuses to post and when plugged back into the wall rests the BIOS which is annoying. I already replaced the CMOS battery and it kept doing it, so I think I need a new mobo. Just been to busy to call dell. I really can't afford to send it in to the depot at the moment anyway since I need the lappy for school. :(

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

that does suck man... I hope you find the time to get it all resolved. Since i had a few of these laptops so far between exchanges, repairs etc I now used a light foam lining from another piece of technology i had delivered and is a perfect size to place in between the laptop keyboard and screen when it is closed perhaps when you have yours fixed you can look for a similar insert to prevent abrasions... even though mine is closing fine over time its bound to rub on the screen in a similar manner to yours so I use the foam in between when I leave my laptop closed for awhile or travel with it.

• Thumbs Up 1

So, I'm about to order a M17X with the 6990M.

I can click a button and restart the computer to turn off the 6990M right? THanks.

I ordered my M17X with the Nvidia 560 with Optimus that will turn off the card without a restart. Dell now has canceled my order and says the 560 is discontinued and the 6990M is my only option.

I'm ok with that ONLY if I can completely turn it off easily, even if I need a restart.

Please verify that I can indeed turn off the card completely vice putting in a low power mode with PowerPlay.

Have you heard of any overheating issues with the 6990M? Or is that only in dual video card systems?

Thanks a ton for your help. I need to tell Dell this evening to put in a 6990 or cancel the order.

I don't care about gaming performance. I want to be able to MAX the battery (intel GPU, SSD, and AMD turned off). The M17X has a rather large battery compared to several comparable gaming laptops by sager and others. Later, I might get into gaming.

Does the M17X have HDMI "IN"? I was told it did when I placed the order with Dell and an Nvidia GTX560M. I'm not sure if the HDMI IN is a function of the computer or the video card. If it's the card, will I loose HDMI "IN" with a AMD 6990M?

The M17x does in fact switch to Intel igp after hitting a button and restarting. Yes 6990m can run hot but doesnt get in way of function its mostly due to warmer vram conditions. I think hdmi in is on m17x its a main function and should work on Intel igp.not just discrete graphics. Or better yet if in no rush for a system wait for M17x r4 with Ivybridge processor for improvrd speed and architecture

the M17x R3 has HDMI in and works with both intel and the AMD video. If I still had my machine like factory then I was able to switch graphics with a right click on desktop, FN F7, or going to the CCC and picking which graphics chip to use. the screen would go blank for about a second and return using the intel or AMD video. With the new drivers installed it doesn't work and has become very hard to switch. Its even harder to fix once done too. Soon a clean install will fix that and I will wait on Dell to update the drivers instead of not having this feature.

the M17x R3 has HDMI in and works with both intel and the AMD video. If I still had my machine like factory then I was able to switch graphics with a right click on desktop, FN F7, or going to the CCC and picking which graphics chip to use. the screen would go blank for about a second and return using the intel or AMD video. With the new drivers installed it doesn't work and has become very hard to switch. Its even harder to fix once done too. Soon a clean install will fix that and I will wait on Dell to update the drivers instead of not having this feature.

hmm still not working for ya huh? I installed the dell drivers and then 12.2 and sometimes when I switched cards the 6990m would stay at battery clocks. When 12.3 came out I held off for a while but installed it and the switching issues disappeared. Might wanna try 12.3 over the dell driver and see if that helps. :)

I just did a factory restore and am going to test out drivers now and see which ones work and which don't. I did notice that before i did the restore my intel drivers were set by ATI not intel. I couldn't get it to fix so am trying this. At the restored point with a clean slate and the switching works as I said. going to install 12.3 over this factory driver and see if I still have switching if not system restore back and try another until I am close to newest but still working. report back later what happens.

Update 1.

well installed 12.3 which the version number of the driver is strange everything works, no restart needed and I have switching and the newest drivers or at least I should. I will explain later and maybe take screen shots so I can explain better. Anyway have my system back and now installing the games and other software I use and happy that I have a 100% working system once again.

Edited by Staff Sargent
updating
  • Thumbs Up 2

Well after downloading BF3 and doing nothing else but leaving the system on while I slept the switching doesn't work again!!! I give up trying to figure this out. Not worth my time and energy to solve this one.

Totally don't understand how this driver is being change automatically without my input. I would also guess its why the switching doesn't work.

post-305-14494992983693_thumb.jpg

Edited by Staff Sargent

Well after downloading BF3 and doing nothing else but leaving the system on while I slept the switching doesn't work again!!! I give up trying to figure this out. Not worth my time and energy to solve this one.

Totally don't understand how this driver is being change automatically without my input. I would also guess its why the switching doesn't work.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]4035[/ATTACH]

hmm strange don't know why it would be going so crazy like that. Did the computer lose power or something? Mine always switches to the IGP when its unplugged or the house loses power.

This is with the latest Intel Driver Installed? There may be an order needed no Drivers no Alienware Command Center ... Intel IGP latest installed, next what you did to get 12.3 to work so dell stock driver and 12.3 over that, and finally the latest version of Alien Command Center. Does anyone think that would help... I know Alien Command Center is telling the hotkey and app to switch from discrete to IGP and in a dell document I notice they always list Alien command center after everything...? So I am unsure. Its a similar case on M18x when using AMD and switching to IGP after updating graphics drivers... I apologize if I am not helping.