6990m heat issues

bigtonyman

I installed the new card last night and installed drivers, but my temps are super high. according to the card, its hitting like 105C on idle but the fans don't kick on and the system itself doesn't get warm. I repasted my 460m a bunch of times without issues, so im not sure why this is giving me so much grief. Anybody know how i can fix something like this?

Edited by bigtonyman

Is it a Dell card? 105°C on idle indicates that the heatsink sits very bad, or the paste is applied badly. Did you already repaste or check whether the heatsink makes proper contact? Also the 6990m heatsink is slightly different to the 460m heatsink. Do you have the proper backplate?

• Thumbs Up 2

yea its a dell card. I repasted twice the same way i always did my 460m since the card looks pretty much the same(at least to me) with all the v-ram and such in the same place. I used the x-bracket that came with the card and it fit fine with the heat sink. I'm gonna try reseating the pads and see if that helps at all here in a little bit. Whats the difference between the heatsinks? inap's 6990m heatsink looked pretty much the same as mine. Ill go back to NBR and see if I can find the pics. :P

Edit: Gonna reseat the pads and remove the black tape from the heatsink and pray that my temps drop.

Edited by bigtonyman

• Founder

Might be the pads getting in the way and not allowing full contact. Definitely sounds like the sink isn't making full contact with the die. But if your fans aren't coming on, you may want to do a power drain of the system (turn it off, unplug, remove battery, hold power button for 20 secs) to reset the cmos.

• Thumbs Up 2

Ok, maybe i mixed it up, I thought there was a slight difference... maybe between the 580m and 6990m heatsink, dunno.

But if your fans aren't coming on, you may want to do a power drain of the system (turn it off, unplug, remove battery, hold power button for 20 secs) to reset the cmos.

This won't reset the cmos ;) But it might still help. Also, I recommend going to the BIOS and load the default settings, just to make sure all the hardware gets initialized properly.

• Founder
Ok, maybe i mixed it up, I thought there was a slight difference... maybe between the 580m and 6990m heatsink, dunno.

This won't reset the cmos ;) But it might still help. Also, I recommend going to the BIOS and load the default settings, just to make sure all the hardware gets initialized properly.

Well its the closest thing short of pulling the small battery (which I don't recommend since the connector is so fragile).

Finally got it working. :victorious:

Figured it out as soon as i pulled the heatsink off. turns out the GPU dies on the cards are different. The 460m die runs parallel to the heatsink while the 6990m die is off center. The tape was preventing it from fully making contact with the die, so I removed it and temps are now down to 75C with my crappy AS5. Gotta get around to ordering some better stuff soon. Thanks for the help guys.

:)

• Thumbs Up 2

hi big tony i am glad you got your video card all set. I know a lot of Ati 6970m and 6990m have hot vram commonly so i am glad you are not having such issues. I had to put thicker paste in place of vram pads to get good temps i am glad you are not having this sort of trouble.