Argh!

daveh98

• Founder

Hey marc, glad it worked out for you! I knew Dell would come through, they don't tend to leave their customers hanging like that.

P.S. now what about our little plan? :44_002:

Im excited yeah almost top build i was blown away by the call. For a second unresponsive. The guy was like are you there... Lol. Throw my dual vertex 3 in and my hyoer x 16gb@1600mhz and ill be all set. I planned to put my blu ray into external case and a large hd in optical bay... Now not sure might use 250gb ssd instead... Optical bay is sata 2 0r 1? In any case they took care of me big time and im truly greatful.

wow congrats you lucker!!! hahahah but honestly congrats man! awesome setup!

thanks i love boobs! =) i have a question what do you thinko of your 580m's since before you had quite a few Amd :)? May i say the record amount of gpus dieing? Are you satisfied going to team green that grass looks greener looking from team red... Just wondered what you thought. Brian how bout you... You went red to green?

• Founder
thanks i love boobs! =) i have a question what do you thinko of your 580m's since before you had quite a few Amd :)? May i say the record amount of gpus dieing? Are you satisfied going to team green that grass looks greener looking from team red... Just wondered what you thought. Brian how bout you... You went red to green?

I'll never go back to AMD if I can help it. Not until they significantly improve their drivers which I doubt..so yes..the grass really is greener on the green team.

• Thumbs Up 1

Never had cf to compare. But I never really had driver problems with amd, but like I said i only had a single card. I don't care about green or red just what ever performs better at the time.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

• Thumbs Up 2

Thanks for the perspective i agree from experience good drivers and graphics quality and overclockability :)

my previous build before M17x R2 was an HP HDX 18t a nice sized note book like the m18x with q9000 and Nvidia Gt130m, gotta say drivers are very optimal, provide high image quality and the cards overclock well. This system was fail from start because hp went single fan and heatsink for cpu gpu instead of independent. I had amd and nvidia growing up. Id say amd puts out some cards that are beasts for what they are and cost better per performance measured over cost. If you want top of the line it seems it costs too much for the performance you get but if you want top hardware seems Nvidia still holds that crown. I think Amd makes nice improvements in drivers but has a way to go and sometimes boasts on improved performance when it was gained by sacrificing image quality. Overall AMD is the underdog that has a few gems in the rough for very afforable prices. Dual 6990m retail cost as much as one 580m... Its clear who is better for high end low cost builds and who is better for absolutely the fastest availaible hardware at the moment. I agree iloveb00bs i am not a crazed fan of green or red lol its funny when i see them :) i am for image quality, decent performance and stability... In current mobile i feel those 580m beat the 6990m but noticably both green and red set drivers different so high quality and high performance presets or even default... Are not even comparisons between both... They both run very different driver wise...

Hey Bud, Congrats on the outcome of your situation. I would flip if I get the 2960xm. But until that time comes, I will just continue to wait. Even with a pimped out system, I am going to be very wary of my purchases with Dell from here on out. This has been a customer service nightmare much more than a hardware nightmare though I have been plagued with both. I just hope the silver lining is seen soon so i can actually play some freaking Skyrim and go through crysis2 with the highest settings for once:) Peace and congrats.

Thanks for the perspective i agree from experience good drivers and graphics quality and overclockability :)

my previous build before M17x R2 was an HP HDX 18t a nice sized note book like the m18x with q9000 and Nvidia Gt130m, gotta say drivers are very optimal, provide high image quality and the cards overclock well. This system was fail from start because hp went single fan and heatsink for cpu gpu instead of independent. I had amd and nvidia growing up. Id say amd puts out some cards that are beasts for what they are and cost better per performance measured over cost. If you want top of the line it seems it costs too much for the performance you get but if you want top hardware seems Nvidia still holds that crown. I think Amd makes nice improvements in drivers but has a way to go and sometimes boasts on improved performance when it was gained by sacrificing image quality. Overall AMD is the underdog that has a few gems in the rough for very afforable prices. Dual 6990m retail cost as much as one 580m... Its clear who is better for high end low cost builds and who is better for absolutely the fastest availaible hardware at the moment. I agree iloveb00bs i am not a crazed fan of green or red lol its funny when i see them :) i am for image quality, decent performance and stability... In current mobile i feel those 580m beat the 6990m but noticably both green and red set drivers different so high quality and high performance presets or even default... Are not even comparisons between both... They both run very different driver wise...

They canceled my order and some women is trying to send a completely different order. I dont agree to it and am now having hell of a time :( now theres no order set up :(

If I had these types of issues I would be driving to Miami FL headquarters for Alienware and taking it to there door. Many years ago I ordered an alien and the FedEx guy came to my door and said your sending this back, inside the box you could hear parts rattle around. Turns out FedEx damaged it and I got my money back only after my friend said he was my lawyer.

Hope you get your system back or your money. Sad they can't uphold their own warranty.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Founder

Who does this dumb bitch think she is anyway? Why would she override a replacement for no good reason? Seems her panties got in a twist because Marc contacted BBB. I'll see if I can get someone to help him out if his agent doesn't resolve it by tomorrow.

Okay so here's the scoop i am getting the order i posted above. After i had followed some advice from a conversation me and @Brian K. had, I emailed my last reps manager and explained the whole situation. :) not 2 hours later my last rep and his manager had spoke and reinstated the original order. The manager asked the other women to let him and his team handle it and allow the order they provided to go through. So everything is on track and i have resolution. I have an order number and its being sent out in a day or two. Its configured as above... It is a refurbished unit and I am okay with that as the system is an upgrade over my original order. I am getting a Black system instead of Red but i dont mind it the parts that make the beast :) i guess now i can say I went to the "Dark Side" lol :P@daveh98 i hope your replacement is of an acceptable condition upon arrival.

Thanks Brian for that advice!

• Thumbs Up 1

the new system arrived yesterday without the 580m video cards and i should have them by next week. they actually made me prove it through the internet with access to the system. I gave extra proof (a picture from my phone i emailed showing the new service tag, the proper processor and the unexpected ATI cards on their own bios :P)

I switched my name tag from other comp to this one I think Dave said do it or you wont see another as they want $ for it special ordered. All else is in the system I cant belive i have Samsung PM830's... 2 :D I wish optical sata port was sata 6gbps :)

the unit is top spec minus ram and i have my own. The unit is refurbished though as a result and i can tell there are light scuffs here and there but for the parts these scuffs are easy to live with and arent very obvious... but i was not happy to see paint chip a lot by where you open the top of system above keyboard... i'm accepting yes for yes IE while im ahead i'll call off my dogs on Dell for their bull they put me through... DELL has a good warranty and I'm i got Alienware despite their falling short on repair and refurbished consistency and depenablility... their follow up is still top notch. @daveh98 any news on yours?

• Founder

Your solution to that is easy. Get your 580M and then call back the next day and be like, "after the tech left, I noticed these scratches all over my system, send me replacement base + lid in RED" ;) I mean its already damaged from Dell but this should save you the hassle of explaining the whole refurb replacement thing to them.

Your solution to that is easy. Get your 580M and then call back the next day and be like, "after the tech left, I noticed these scratches all over my system, send me replacement base + lid in RED" ;) I mean its already damaged from Dell but this should save you the hassle of explaining the whole refurb replacement thing to them.

i could try that but wouldnt another tech have to do it again :(

• Founder
i could try that but wouldnt another tech have to do it again :(

No, you just tell them you'll do it yourself and to send you the parts. They do it all the time. I replaced the lid on this one because it had a scratch from the factory, they just mailed it to me overnight.

No, you just tell them you'll do it yourself and to send you the parts. They do it all the time. I replaced the lid on this one because it had a scratch from the factory, they just mailed it to me overnight.

i think thats what im telling htem about the 580m's im tired of the issues outside contracted companies work on Alienware on in home repair...

i think thats what im telling htem about the 580m's im tired of the issues outside contracted companies work on Alienware on in home repair...

I have mixed feelings re: calling and saying a tech scratched things. I have dealt with tech's that completely bonked my system and have worked with great techs. I would call it a win since you have a fully functional system once you get the 580s and it's a big upgrade. Waiting on the phone for more hours to get some scuffs worked out seems like a hassle but that may be a very important thing to have fixed for you.

Update on mine, I kept pushing for a new build. They are trying to get me to take 6990s but my system notes show 580m SLI and that is exactly what I expect in my system. No real upgrades or anything but because it is a new build it looks like I will get the 2760 vs 2720 and maybe faster ram. I did ask for Red instead of Space Black to have something different. As long as everything is running smoothly from the factory, I will be happy with this.

I have mixed feelings re: calling and saying a tech scratched things. I have dealt with tech's that completely bonked my system and have worked with great techs. I would call it a win since you have a fully functional system once you get the 580s and it's a big upgrade. Waiting on the phone for more hours to get some scuffs worked out seems like a hassle but that may be a very important thing to have fixed for you.

Update on mine, I kept pushing for a new build. They are trying to get me to take 6990s but my system notes show 580m SLI and that is exactly what I expect in my system. No real upgrades or anything but because it is a new build it looks like I will get the 2760 vs 2720 and maybe faster ram. I did ask for Red instead of Space Black to have something different. As long as everything is running smoothly from the factory, I will be happy with this.

i had time to think on this and what you said is how i feel. I will not pursue a new case as a tech would need to dissasemble the entire unit completely down to every last piece and i do not feel like doing it myself either. I will get the 580 sli and enjoy the system. I have had so much down time had little chance to enjoy the system recently. I would have been claiming a tech scratched it thats rude to techs... I would have just said tructh came as a refurb dinged up... Honesty has been best policy throught this mess. I am happy with system and am not bother enough by the minor cosmetic issues. I swapped my custom name plate will anyone be mad?

Dave push for the 2860qm i am certain if you pose the statement right they will feel it necessary to give it to you free. Claim youve been waiting long enough that youve waited longer on replacements etc then actually had the system... And your a paying customer who deserves better treatment. I know what its like working with them its a PITA but i think you'll enjoy system better with a faster cpu people try to say the lower cpus are fine but if you want to help future proof the bottom cpu will not last in games and apps as long as the 2860qm. The speed is similar to a stock 2960/2920 :) i want you to be happy and i personally think if you can deal with thier bull little longer you can atleast get 2860qm for your trouble tell them 2660qm is not a real upgrade from the one you had :) this is all facts and not based on false claims. Its a PITA but im telling you its worth it to fight for yourself... No one else will. Im calling it good on the 580's but i think you should push the cpu more atleast the 2700 series...

• Thumbs Up 1

i had time to think on this and what you said is how i feel. I will not pursue a new case as a tech would need to dissasemble the entire unit completely down to every last piece and i do not feel like doing it myself either. I will get the 580 sli and enjoy the system. I have had so much down time had little chance to enjoy the system recently. I would have been claiming a tech scratched it thats rude to techs... I would have just said tructh came as a refurb dinged up... Honesty has been best policy throught this mess. I am happy with system and am not bother enough by the minor cosmetic issues. I swapped my custom name plate will anyone be mad?

Dave push for the 2860qm i am certain if you pose the statement right they will feel it necessary to give it to you free. Claim youve been waiting long enough that youve waited longer on replacements etc then actually had the system... And your a paying customer who deserves better treatment. I know what its like working with them its a PITA but i think you'll enjoy system better with a faster cpu people try to say the lower cpus are fine but if you want to help future proof the bottom cpu will not last in games and apps as long as the 2860qm. The speed is similar to a stock 2960/2920 :) i want you to be happy and i personally think if you can deal with thier bull little longer you can atleast get 2860qm for your trouble tell them 2660qm is not a real upgrade from the one you had :) this is all facts and not based on false claims. Its a PITA but im telling you its worth it to fight for yourself... No one else will. Im calling it good on the 580's but i think you should push the cpu more atleast the 2700 series...

Hey thanks for the reply; I agree about the honesty is the best policy. To clarify, I am getting the 2760 which is the quad 2.4ghz. It is an upgrade in a way from the 2720 I did have which is clocked at 2.2ghz. I'd imagine this config should ride me out for the next few years. I can always drop in a 2920 when the Ivy come out but this should be good. I hear good things about the red system so I am looking forward to getting this system, hopefully with no more unwelcomed surprises and moving on! I really want to see what these 580s can do. I know they chew up BF3 and Crysis 2. It should be pretty noticeable since my 6970s were pretty solid minus Crysis2.

Hey thanks for the reply; I agree about the honesty is the best policy. To clarify, I am getting the 2760 which is the quad 2.4ghz. It is an upgrade in a way from the 2720 I did have which is clocked at 2.2ghz. I'd imagine this config should ride me out for the next few years. I can always drop in a 2920 when the Ivy come out but this should be good. I hear good things about the red system so I am looking forward to getting this system, hopefully with no more unwelcomed surprises and moving on! I really want to see what these 580s can do. I know they chew up BF3 and Crysis 2. It should be pretty noticeable since my 6970s were pretty solid minus Crysis2.

hey cool yeah i look forward to the 580s too 6970s ran most fine as mentioned... Looking to make Skyrim look very filled in the backround its a beautiful game. Cool if cpu is good for you then sweet. I just hope you get it in satisfactory condition.

hey cool yeah i look forward to the 580s too 6970s ran most fine as mentioned... Looking to make Skyrim look very filled in the backround its a beautiful game. Cool if cpu is good for you then sweet. I just hope you get it in satisfactory condition.

Well my order is in production and I have my order number. I decided to go with Nebula Red instead of Space Black. How does the red look? Just wanted to try something different. Overall, I am pretty happy with the outcome assuming everything works from the factory. I guess the 30 hours of advocacy over Dell's CS problems did finally get some positive closure. My 6970s were upgraded for free to the 580s but unfortunately they didn't work. Then as a result I am getting a freshly built system. So even though I have not been gaming for a few months (definitely a problem in the technology world IMO) I am at least getting a brand new system from the factory much better spec'd then when I bought it back in July 2011. The system color is different, I am going from 2.2ghz to 2.4ghz and my ram was 1066 and now is 1600. Obviously the 6970s to 580s is the biggest jump. I am just pumped that it's a completely new build. I do plan on riding this rig out for a few years and will make my next purchase after the new consoles arrive. I don't think there is anything really on the horizon that will overly stress the 580s anytime soon.

thanks for all the venting on this! It's not like we are purchasing desktops and can just upgrade with the greatest of ease so being out of a gaming rig for a few months really puts a damper on your return on investment with a notebook. I feel badly for people that get bum systems and just don't do anything about it. Sometimes in life you have to be a squeaky wheel to get your way; especially dealing with big business. I could probably have advocated for a better processor or more memory but feel that I got a very good price when I purchased in July. With all the other upgrades, I didn't feel I needed to go any further. My main concern was to get a new computer as mine turned to be a lemon and Dell accommodated my request relatively easily once I was aware that I would get a "same or better refurb." I just didn't want to gamble with getting a "same" refurb. Fortunately MW got an AWESOME top shelf refurb that was well worth it. Looks like we may both walk away happy from this at the end of the day...or at least feel like things were course corrected. Cheers. But ya...how is the exterior red color?

• Thumbs Up 1

I feel you put that in a perfect set of words and also embodied how i feel to. The Red I had original... I love it and loved it id go back to red given an opputunity without hassle so i am okay going from red to black. Your going to Red and i think you will also see it has a spectacular look and the shimmer of the metallic red is quite nice. Also coming from 6970 soon going to 580's i feel same way... Biggest upgrade they could have offered. Glad to hear your order is in production.

Any newer news Dave :)

I found my 4th ram dimm, dimm D/4 under keyboard... Whenever any ram is in that slot be it 1 stick or all 4 slots filled with matched ram... No go it gives 4 beeps so i can load 12gb ram and no issues but i cant accept that this wont load the 16gb 1600mhz hyperx like my last did.. So in about 2-3 days my last rep recontacted me after i explained the prob first time and was told oh well take up with othe company ram since i had 8gb according to them and wouldnt cover the 4th dimm unless i bought enough ram to use all the dimms... Im thinking how dare you. I made a lenghty logical email explaining as on of many examples how you buy a laptop that fits 2 HD and purchase with only 1 drive and you find damage or issue with the port for the second hard drive.... That should be covered... I got a fair answer back after that. He said basically wait sometime for his end of all the giant issues of a case and his paperwork to all finish up and he would allow the motherboard to be replaced :) so now he contacted me and should be in a few days. Ill be glad to finally be with a system thats actually working right and not damaged :) dont send to depot ever :( if you have in home repair be apart of the entire process. I was fully involved and helped the tech along with the 580m install after i found out the replacement that was sent had wrong gpus in it. It went very well much better than other times when i just watched the techs manhandle things. Do they teach them to just jab away with their plastic wedge? Lol. I certainly dont use that as a techinique... I try to be careful so plastics stay intact. Anyway i have an impending and hopefully last major parts replacement coming up and I am going to be sure to be involved again :) getting to gpus and cpu heatsinks is a short process. Motherboard replacement isnt going to be :(

I am looking forward to a clean windows install after the motherboard and loding up numero uno :) BF3 and of course Skyrim ;)

I hope your system is moving along in its production... 580m sli shows 7.9 in windows wei ;) never seen that on the AMD's the 6990m even because thats apparently what they sent in place of 580m. Just looking forward to a new experience Nvidia has a fairly solid driver :)