Li-ion battery

Marcus007

Just a quick question about the battery of my laptop. Should I unplug the battery when it's 40% or 50% or any of the two would be fine? Or what do you think will be the best option for my battery to have a longer life? And, for example, it's 100%, wouldn't it harm my battery if I drain it until it's 40 or 50% and then take the battery out? And the other way around as well(charge it from 10% to 40 or 50% then take the battery out).

Any advice from you guys would be much appreciated. Thank you!

• Founder

Generally if its a new battery you want to fully discharge it, then charge to 100% and discharge/recharge again to calibrate it. After that just keep it plugged in, the batteries today should last 2-3 years even when plugged in.

Generally if its a new battery you want to fully discharge it, then charge to 100% and discharge/recharge again to calibrate it. After that just keep it plugged in, the batteries today should last 2-3 years even when plugged in.

Seriously? Damn. My battery was only fully discharged ONCE since when I bought it(December) because I've in some guide that Li-ion batteries shouldn't be fully discharged since it would decrease its life and should be charged if it hit's around 10-20%.

Hmm. So it's okay if I will keep it plugged in even if it's 100%? Cause I can't game on battery that's why I have to plug it in. Thanks for replying btw.

Yeah you can keep it plugged in, just discharge it every week or so to around 10%.

Okay, will do that. I have another problem and it's pissing me off already. I just got two BSoD awhile ago and it happened like in a row. What the hell is wrong with my laptop? I installed Dev-Cpp, after that, I kept getting BSoD. How do I prevent this stuff? I already did a memory test and cleaned everything using avg and ccleaner. What else should I do? I hate having this because it's like showing me that my laptop is some what defective and I just bought this last December 27. Please help.

@Marcus007 just be careful read large article on batterry life just bring charge down low... all the way can effect battery life. if storing your batterry 40-60 charge is recommended never is 100% recommended for storage.

try this decoding bsod hasn't been easier. Resplendence Software - WhoCrashed, automatic crash dump analyzer

post what it says and someone here is bound to be able to help. you have to hit analyze and hopefully system saved bsod dump file.

• Thumbs Up 1

@Marcus007 just be careful read large article on batterry life just bring charge down low... all the way can effect battery life. if storing your batterry 40-60 charge is recommended never is 100% recommended for storage.

try this decoding bsod hasn't been easier. Resplendence Software - WhoCrashed, automatic crash dump analyzer

post what it says and someone here is bound to be able to help. you have to hit analyze and hopefully system saved bsod dump file.

Thank you very much for replying such a useful information. I have figured out the problem. I took out the battery when my laptop is in sleep mode because I wanted to use it on AC power since I need the AC power to play games and so I guess that is the cause of the BSoD because when I plugged my battery again, I didn't have any BSoD's anymore. Thanks a bunch. Would you still recommend to me to run this resplendence software? btw, yeap, i've read an article saying that the charge should be at least 40% if I'm going to store my battery.

Thank you very much for replying such a useful information. I have figured out the problem. I took out the battery when my laptop is in sleep mode because I wanted to use it on AC power since I need the AC power to play games and so I guess that is the cause of the BSoD because when I plugged my battery again, I didn't have any BSoD's anymore. Thanks a bunch. Would you still recommend to me to run this resplendence software? btw, yeap, i've read an article saying that the charge should be at least 40% if I'm going to store my battery.

If you are no longer getting bsod's anymore no need to run that software. You might as well keep it around though it's lightweight/small so if you ever need help determining what reason you had a bsod in the future it will make it a lot easier. As long as a file is saved upon bsod error by the OS there will be something there for WhoCrashed to find.

Yes 40% is recommended on storage in battery terms less is better so as high as 60% is acceptable but that 40% is the recommended amount.

If you are no longer getting bsod's anymore no need to run that software. You might as well keep it around though it's lightweight/small so if you ever need help determining what reason you had a bsod in the future it will make it a lot easier. As long as a file is saved upon bsod error by the OS there will be something there for WhoCrashed to find.

Yes 40% is recommended on storage in battery terms less is better so as high as 60% is acceptable but that 40% is the recommended amount.

Oh. Alright. Yeap, I've bookmarked the website already. Thanks again.

Hmm. Brian mentioned that staying at 100% while plugged-in in AC power wouldn't hurt the battery at all, do you agree with him? Just want to know your opinion. :D Thank you.

The M18x isn't designed to be run without the battery. As in many recent systems it is used to smooth possible voltage peaks. That's probably also the reason why it isn't as easy to remove as the batter in the M17x r2 or M15x.

The M18x isn't designed to be run without the battery. As in many recent systems it is used to smooth possible voltage peaks. That's probably also the reason why it isn't as easy to remove as the batter in the M17x r2 or M15x.

m18x runs pretty well too when running with HD3000 , which beats m17x-r2/m15x , thanks to intel latest cpu lol.

Just sad that m17xr2/m15x comes with stealth mode...which make the performance really bad...without plugged in. :(

Oh. Alright. Yeap, I've bookmarked the website already. Thanks again.

Hmm. Brian mentioned that staying at 100% while plugged-in in AC power wouldn't hurt the battery at all, do you agree with him? Just want to know your opinion. :D Thank you.

Yes i agree with Brians statement. if you plan to go for ages and ages without ever using your battery but one day you will need it in tip top shape charge it to the 40-60 and remove it from the system... but if you plan to use it anytime soon the benefit doesn't outweigh the fact that its easier to have the battery in and ready. will it damage it in the end no not at all... the ability to store and discharge may be effected but not by a large amount. the system is designed to charge it to full 100% but to stop once there and will not resume unless battery drops to like 90-95%. Over months your battery could go through mini discharge cycles of that very small percent just while on AC with battery in... so if you want total battery preservation then remove battery store it at cool temp and not at full but 40-60%. If you are like the rest of us and value battery life but aren't worried about stretching it absolutely as far as possible then don't worry leave battery as it functions as is and go with the flow.

Perhaps a more important thing to worry about i read of is heat being the biggest enemy of batteries a battery constantly overheated can lose 40% capacity in 6 months i think.. dont quote me on that lol. Keeping the batteries cool as they run and while stored preserves the most capacity of all. thats why a lot of people have removed their batteries. StamatisX has his battery often removed on M17x R2 and has plugged into AC since he doesnt travel with it often... this helps keep computer chassis cool and the battery isnt adding heat or getting diminished because of heat.

Yes i agree with Brians statement. if you plan to go for ages and ages without ever using your battery but one day you will need it in tip top shape charge it to the 40-60 and remove it from the system... but if you plan to use it anytime soon the benefit doesn't outweigh the fact that its easier to have the battery in and ready. will it damage it in the end no not at all... the ability to store and discharge may be effected but not by a large amount. the system is designed to charge it to full 100% but to stop once there and will not resume unless battery drops to like 90-95%. Over months your battery could go through mini discharge cycles of that very small percent just while on AC with battery in... so if you want total battery preservation then remove battery store it at cool temp and not at full but 40-60%. If you are like the rest of us and value battery life but aren't worried about stretching it absolutely as far as possible then don't worry leave battery as it functions as is and go with the flow.

Perhaps a more important thing to worry about i read of is heat being the biggest enemy of batteries a battery constantly overheated can lose 40% capacity in 6 months i think.. dont quote me on that lol. Keeping the batteries cool as they run and while stored preserves the most capacity of all. thats why a lot of people have removed their batteries. StamatisX has his battery often removed on M17x R2 and has plugged into AC since he doesnt travel with it often... this helps keep computer chassis cool and the battery isnt adding heat or getting diminished because of heat.

Thanks for the reply mw86, made me realized a lot of things there. :D Just have a few questions, would it damage the battery if I don't charge it 100% and then I'll pull the charger out? Because sometimes, when I'm charging the laptop, I don't fully charge it because I have to take the laptop with me and it's not yet 100% and definitely I have to pull the plug. Is that all right? Maybe, I'll just take out the battery if I'm going to use the laptop the whole day on AC power and then plug-in the battery again if I'll be going out. Thanks for the great advice and tips, mw86.

Added after 3 minutes:

Damn, that's an MSI thread, hahaha, I didn't even notice! Forget what I said, no idea about the MSI model, hahahaha :D

sorry about that. The model of my laptop is GT683R. I was supposed to buy an M14x but I couldn't wait any longer so I bought this instead and it's much cheaper.. I think? But still, I love the M14x but to be honest, this one's more practical. I got this around $1150 but it's only an i5 but still, 8gb ram, 1.5GB GTX 560M, and the speakers are nice as well. But wtf is wrong with me, while typing this message, I'm still imagining having an M14x. @-) Anyways, something came up in my mind. Is it really not possible to play games on battery? Even with the M17x and M18x? Just curious. Thanks.

Edited by Marcus007

Thanks for the reply mw86, made me realized a lot of things there. :D Just have a few questions, would it damage the battery if I don't charge it 100% and then I'll pull the charger out? Because sometimes, when I'm charging the laptop, I don't fully charge it because I have to take the laptop with me and it's not yet 100% and definitely I have to pull the plug. Is that all right? Maybe, I'll just take out the battery if I'm going to use the laptop the whole day on AC power and then plug-in the battery again if I'll be going out. Thanks for the great advice and tips, mw86.

Added after 3 minutes:

sorry about that. The model of my laptop is GT683R. I was supposed to buy an M14x but I couldn't wait any longer so I bought this instead and it's much cheaper.. I think? But still, I love the M14x but to be honest, this one's more practical. I got this around $1150 but it's only an i5 but still, 8gb ram, 1.5GB GTX 560M, and the speakers are nice as well. But wtf is wrong with me, while typing this message, I'm still imagining having an M14x. @-) Anyways, something came up in my mind. Is it really not possible to play games on battery? Even with the M17x and M18x? Just curious. Thanks.

first yes it is no problem to not have been charging to 100% battery when you were planning to use it shortly there after... its no problem at all.

For the topic of throttleing yes they do short answer. Medium answer is they have to to some extent or the open freedom of users with XM processors would be experiencing exploding batteries no doubt. It is a problem and a blessing. But we should have control over it and we do thanks to UncleWebbs's Throttle Stop program.

See this thread here I worked with Unclewebb to expose the workings of the M18x setup on battery its very interesting. At one point pretty sure I posted a log file showing 150watt peak at least on battery while forcing a very high unrealistic for battery speed on the 2920xm in M18x. This showed Throttle Stop helps indefinitely but used wrong could be dangerous and someone will get hurt if they don't head warning and keep their CPU limited to a certain extent on battery. At 4.7ghz over 8threads for a few seconds (with settings high enough to allow such speeds voltage,amps and watts etc) according to HWinfo drew 200 watts on AC under extreme 8 thread load example was Intel burn test. sorry HWiNFo is the only thing in pic and not intel burn etc.

http://i1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff474/marcwwaters86/d60c7d76.png

So one obviously can't expect full AC overclocks to transpose to Battery its not going to happen. Here check this useful link to M18x Throttling Exposed Thread http://forum.techinferno.com/throttlestop-discussion/1055-m18x-throttling-while-battery-power.html#post12245

Edited by mw86

m18x runs pretty well too when running with HD3000 , which beats m17x-r2/m15x , thanks to intel latest cpu lol.

Just sad that m17xr2/m15x comes with stealth mode...which make the performance really bad...without plugged in. :(

I had the M17x R2 first before my M18x and yes it has Stealth Mode but it is not required or forced on battery. You can play with gpus and CPU full... Its under a lot of power settings on battery set to performance in all areas even video card and you can use the crossfire and everything. Fat chance of getting more than hour or so battery life while gaming like that though.

• 9 months later...

Hi newbie here... i recently experience this issue but it was fixed already, and wanted to share the issue or maybe some of the TECH Gurus could explain :)

I got a GT780dx, when i tried to fully drain my battery to the point my laptop shutdown, then tried to plug in the unit with the AC adaptor suddenly the laptop wont both and worst i could not get to the F10, F3 anf F11 menus. Is it a bad idea to fully drain the battery monthly or bi-monthly? What I've read in this thread is pretty much correct and best practice. thanks

From what I've read around on the internet there seems to be a bit of a mixture of what is best for your battery. I think a lot of it is left over from older batteries that were more heavily affected by their charging cycles. From what I know your battery should perform best if it's kept between around 40-70%, fully draining it is not recommended but won't really do any real harm.

seems to be out of topic, but how is your battery performance on Win 8?

I'm currently using MS 1761 and Windows 8 Pro. I got 3 hours or so in Power Saver Mode.

But when I was using Windows 7 (Ultimate SP1), I'm getting 5 hours on Power Saver Mode.

A lot articles in many forum or website, said that Windows 8 has better battery life performace :/

Just curious :D

• 1 year later...

Generally I try to use Battery only if it's necessary.

When there is AC Socket nearby I always pull battery out.

One year Battery and only ~30 cycles (just remeber to avoid storing battery when voltage is low)