Will the Clevo P370em handle a 4k display upgrade 2D/3D?

Does anybody know if the P370em mainboard or (Prema) BIOS will support a 4k display? I see another Clevo model with a how-to for the 4k display upgrade with links to a 40pin connector adapter that seems to make it plug-and-play.

It seems like this should also be feasible for the P370em given the pin connector is compatible and the OS and GPU both support 4k displays... (at least through the HDMI/DisplayPort).

Here is the article that details the upgrade. http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/how-to-upgrade-the-phoenix-clevo-p870dm-g-from-fhd-to-4k-picture-guide.787821/

Any thoughts?

Edited by arortiz73
typo

The p370em does have an eDP motherboard connector, but a compatible cable was never made for it except for the funky 30+20 pin connector for the 3D screen option on the P370EM3. If you are good at soldering and following schematics you could build a compatible cable. I did this for the P150EM.

A non-3D P370EM may lack the eDP connector on the motherboard. You should check if it is there or not,

I've been following DARCODER's thread on NBR. I looked up the schematics and the eDP looks the same as the P37xSM output.  I'm trying to order the cable that was used in that thread - a QHD for W230SS/ST - Australian shop is being a bit slow and it will take AT LEAST 2 weeks once confirmed since they have to order in from o/s.

My P370EM has the eDP (I have not seen a mobo shot without it? maybe very early rev only lacked it) but is not a 3D model.

The only mod that is needed is stepping down pin 25 PLVDD from 5V to 3.3V and I have a cheap buck converter on its way from China, it says it can handle "75W" so should be ok with the ~15W the screen will draw through it, and the amount of heat dissipated because of inefficiency

But we will see. DARCODER runs his on 5V but it looks like the panel's ghosting, who knows if it was damaged during modding/testing or that is due to the overspec 5V on that pin it's getting now

If it doesn't work at least the panel will go in my P870DM. Which I know will work... because it is the exact laptop in that thread :)

Edited by bennyg

1 hour ago, bennyg said:

I've been following DARCODER's thread on NBR. I looked up the schematics and the eDP looks the same as the P37xSM output.  I'm trying to order the cable that was used in that thread - a QHD for W230SS/ST - Australian shop is being a bit slow and it will take AT LEAST 2 weeks once confirmed since they have to order in from o/s.

My P370EM has the eDP (I have not seen a mobo shot without it? maybe very early rev only lacked it) but is not a 3D model.

The only mod that is needed is stepping down pin 25 PLVDD from 5V to 3.3V and I have a cheap buck converter on its way from China, it says it can handle "75W" so should be ok with the ~15W the screen will draw through it, and the amount of heat dissipated because of inefficiency

But we will see. DARCODER runs his on 5V but it looks like the panel's ghosting, who knows if it was damaged during modding/testing or that is due to the overspec 5V on that pin it's getting now

If it doesn't work at least the panel will go in my P870DM. Which I know will work... because it is the exact laptop in that thread :)

DO NOT USE THE W230SS/ST CABLE UNMODIFIED. THE WIRING IS DIFFERENT BETWEEN THE W230SS/ST AND P370SM MOTHERBOARD CONNECTORS AND YOU WILL HAVE A FIRE.

You need to cut the cable in half and resolder the connections to be correct for the P370SM motherboard eDP connector wiring.

The P370SM3 only uses the 30 + 20 pin eDP cable just like the HM3 and EM3. Making an eDP cable for any other screen is still necessary.

No need to step 5V down to 3.3V. There is a voltage selection circuit. If using the 3D eDP cable you cut the line that pulls the select signal low and that's it. You have it easier than me as I had a FET pulled as well that I had to add.

Also seeing people use a 5V to 3.3V step-down converter when the motherboard had a fully functional 3.3V and 3.3V select circuit made me post to NBR for the first time in 4 years. I do not understand how no one noticed that when using the motherboard schematic on the exact same page to build an eDP cable. The circuit is literally directly to the right of the first image above and I cropped it out.

I meant the P370EM output looks the same as the P37xSM (not P37xSM and W230Sx) and by 'modification' didn't include "cutting the eDP end off the cable and rewiring it"

Guess we need more electrical engineers poking their heads in now and then. I got the impression the aarp guy tried cutting the PLVDD and it didn't work. In hindsight it may have been because his mobo was already fried?

Edited by bennyg

Yes P370SM, P370EM, and P170HM all have the same eDP connector. The non-functional P150EM and P170EM connector is the same as well.

What would work is if you could find a 30 pin to 40 pin LVDS cable. LVDS on HM, EM, and SM systems is surprisingly very similar to eDP on SS and later systems. Only 2 wires would need to be switched. Also let me know if you find such a cable because I want a 40 pin cable, but don't want to spend hours making one.

Edited by Khenglish

• 2 months later...