DellHangout ALERT - Tune in TOMORROW Dec 13 @ 6:00pm CT

Michael

• Founder

"Dell's Rev Davis will host a Dell HANGOUT with Alienware's +Eddy Goyanes (aka Santa Claus) who will be bringing us something special to show you all.

Hint: It's what every #Gamer wants for Christmas!! Tune in to find out. #gaming

The Live Feed URL will be added tomorrow, so you can check back here for that URL and connect that way if you're unable to join the actual hangout. See you there!"

What do you guys think will be announced ?

https://plus.google.com/117161668189080869053/posts/UTKhxvVQxbs

• Thumbs Up 3

I would've said it's for the new Aurora which is up since a couple of hours... but there's already a vid of it on the Dell site, so... dunno, maybe a glasses-free 3d screen for the r3? :D

I

Yeah pre-made desktops aren't that exciting since a lot people can build their own out of quality components. On the other hand, on a laptop you can't really change for example your case or install your own cooling. :) I wish had a similar universal framework for laptops, where you could build your own laptop out of basic components. Is it just recently that they agreed on MXM interface for mobile GPUs so they are sometimes user replaceable? (but still sometimes manufacturer limits you with their own BIOS)

I hope that as laptop market expands (and I feel it did expand quite significantly in last 15 years or so) we could get closer to "build your own laptop", or at least something with significantly higher capability of customization.

• Founder

I'm really surprised we don't have a universal laptop case + mainboard design where we can buy our own off the shelf components and upgrade. I guess big manufacturers like Asus, Dell, HP etc aren't interested in letting that happen since it would kill their lucrative high end businesses.

Edited by Brian
  • Thumbs Up 1

Basically bring the whole desktop market's good attributes of Customization, maximum performance, cost effectiveness, etc. Straight to laptops. I think that would be pretty epic. All we would need would be to produce the shell of the laptop similar to how desktop cases are made. I mean, all it would take would be designing it once, running a gajillion tests while keeping it private, calling for an international patent, and market to current desktop case producers. We get control over the production in some of their factories, they get a share of the company.

Now let's make a couple hundred million dollars! :D

/wishful thinking.