Random Drop in Frame Rate (M17xR3)

atekk920

Just recently I have experienced a severe, random drop in frame rates. The issue occurs in 3 different games and during non action intense sequences - I can understand a small drop during high action sequences or heavy combat, but not just walking through the map.... its while playing MW3, Borderlands, and WarHammer 40k: Space Marine so I'm fairly sure its not related to a single game. I've noticed that at random times my frames will drop from about 80fps down to 30fps...after a few seconds they will jump back up to about 50 then after a few more seconds back to normal. Any ideas on this? I recently switched from AVG to Microsoft Security Essentials - has anyone had issues with this? Any advice or ideas are appreciated

Just recently I have experienced a severe, random drop in frame rates. The issue occurs in 3 different games and during non action intense sequences - I can understand a small drop during high action sequences or heavy combat, but not just walking through the map.... its while playing MW3, Borderlands, and WarHammer 40k: Space Marine so I'm fairly sure its not related to a single game. I've noticed that at random times my frames will drop from about 80fps down to 30fps...after a few seconds they will jump back up to about 50 then after a few more seconds back to normal. Any ideas on this? I recently switched from AVG to Microsoft Security Essentials - has anyone had issues with this? Any advice or ideas are appreciated

yes we really need your specs but to atleast start to answer what might be going on.... one GPU temps could be too high and causing GPU throttle and or a damaged GPU, CPU same heat could be causing cpu to throttle when it gets to intense scenes. We need more info and you will need to start testing in those games what your temps are. Hwinfo displays both in a very advanced way try getting it... playing for a bit then exiting and taking two pics of the sensor window... the top section and bottom so we see cpu activity and gpu.

grab it here: HWiNFO64 Download 64bit

HWiNFO32 Download 32 bit

plenty of info's on hwinfo here: http://forum.techinferno.com/hwinfo32-64-discussion/

sensors example pic: post-34-14494992075147_thumb.png

worst case scenario is somethings broken second worst scenario is its your hardware can t keep up with the games you are playing....

My apologies - Specs are as follows

Alienware M17xR3 (of course)

Core i7 2670 (2.2Ghz)

8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600 w\Plug and Play XMP support

Hybrid SSD\HDD

GTX 560m 1.5GB

I am running an overclock with MSI afterburner, clocks are set as follows

Core\Shader - 950\1900

Memory - 1000

During long term game play temps never exceed 72 degrees Celsius- I've fashioned what I like to call an "air intake mod" I placed two .5 inch rubber feet on the bottom of my laptop at the back near the fan intakes - it props up the laptop just enough to allow better air flow.... believe it or not it makes a substantial difference.

on a side note i think I may have found the solution, I used my laptop on the couch the other day to cruise the web while listening to some TV (I know thats weird) - I set the Alien Fusion power profile to power saver and then never set it back. After putting it back to High performance the issue for now seems to be resolved. I'll continue to monitor for the issue......Thanks for your help everyone, it is appreciated

Edited by atekk920

900 core needs a nice voltage bump... Shader is gonna fry at 1900...

How can I get a voltage bump? i see that there is a modified vbios for the m14x that provides a voltage bump - but I haven't found anything for the M17x R3

How can I get a voltage bump? i see that there is a modified vbios for the m14x that provides a voltage bump - but I haven't found anything for the M17x R3

you'll be using a vbios mod and since vbios is only part to gpu you just need to look into editing and flashing your 560m's vbios which does not have to be from a M17xr3. Check through some of SVL7's posts as he posted a lot of instructions for vbios nodding for NVIDIA cards... I have only used AMD as of recently which needs different methods. Best recommended to make a bootable USB disk with hp USB format tool and flash the vbios from outside of windows or errors can occur causing larger problems. I am not familiar with 560m if it can be vmoded and what the highest range people have over locked if it was vmodded. Hope that helps.