Nvidia GTX680M 4G VRAM for Alienware M17XR4

dogs

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think you have fried you graphics card because of a driver. In al my time messing around with drivers and overclocking I have never fried a card.

I have made my motherboard sparkle from the port where the graphics go into and it didn't broken anything. Try put your old card back and see if it will be recognized. Then put back the gtx 780m.

I downgraded my BIOS to A12 from A13 and it recognized the card but didn't start it up coz there was a problem with the card.

I then uninstalled the card and scan for hardware changes and it has gone back to not displaying in device manager.

i will open it up again and see whats going on

Edit

Could it be the VBIOS on the card, how do i install VBIOS on the graphics card?

Edited by dogs

On 9/7/2016 at 5:28 PM, dogs said:

The old GTX660M works fine so looks like 780M card is fried :(

Sorry the delayed answer the site was down.

Okay have you tried put the 780m back in?

Now in the m18x, when installing a new graphics card you sometime need to disconnect all power sources. Disconnect power cable, take out the battery AND the BIOS battery.

Hold the power button for 30 sec. Put back only the bios battery and power cable.

Turn on the computer should give you are 5 beep error code. Unplug it. 

Then keep holding hold the "FN" key while you turn it on again.

It should start for around 5 sec and reboot, then let go of the "FN" key. Now the bios (cmos) is reset and it should recognize you graphic card.

Again this method is for the m18x r1 and r2.

thanks Henrik,

I will have to wait till my thermal paste arrives before i attempt anything else with it as I have used it all up swapping cards around :)

I did notice my CPU running at 87 degrees so will re-paste that too when it arrives.

I can't understand why it worked for about a day or 2 then after the BSOD can't recognize the card. That tells me that the CMOS was ok before the BSOD.

Edited by dogs

hows it going?

I suspect the issue could be, that while the gtx 780m was active it switched to the Intel graphics card, shutting the gtx 780m off.

If it doesn't show in devices management then press F7 it should ask if you are sure about switching to performance mode, and you need to restart.

On 11/7/2016 at 4:07 PM, dogs said:

thanks Henrik,

I will have to wait till my thermal paste arrives before i attempt anything else with it as I have used it all up swapping cards around :)

I did notice my CPU running at 87 degrees so will re-paste that too when it arrives.

I can't understand why it worked for about a day or 2 then after the BSOD can't recognize the card. That tells me that the CMOS was ok before the BSOD.

Did you got it to work?

hi Henrik,

not tried it yet. Waiting also for a spare x-bracket to arrive seeing as there is a sheared screw in one of the holes on existing x-bracket on 780M.

I am off on holiday next week for 3 weeks so most probably try it after I get back.

I appreciate all the help you have given me Henrik. Seems as though you are the only one who is willing to help me out on this forum :)

33 minutes ago, dogs said:

hi Henrik,

not tried it yet. Waiting also for a spare x-bracket to arrive seeing as there is a sheared screw in one of the holes on existing x-bracket on 780M.

I am off on holiday next week for 3 weeks so most probably try it after I get back.

I appreciate all the help you have given me Henrik. Seems as though you are the only one who is willing to help me out on this forum :)

Anyway I have just fixed an alienware m17x r4 and it is pretty similar to an alienware m18x r1.

The issue was the notorious 8 beeps problem.

The problem came after a bsod. The owner was sure the card was fried but it seems to work, the problem was a bad driver.

If you can't get the 780m to work I am willing to test it out for you. You can send the card to me and I will try it on different systems to see if I make it work.

But I'm sure you can make it work.

7 hours ago, Henrik9979 said:

Anyway I have just fixed an alienware m17x r4 and it is pretty similar to an alienware m18x r1.

The issue was the notorious 8 beeps problem.

The problem came after a bsod. The owner was sure the card was fried but it seems to work, the problem was a bad driver.

If you can't get the 780m to work I am willing to test it out for you. You can send the card to me and I will try it on different systems to see if I make it work.

But I'm sure you can make it work.

thanks Henrik, I may hold you to that if I can't get it to work after my holidays :)

• 4 weeks later...
1 minute ago, dogs said:

Hi Henrik,

sorry for delay just got back from holidays.

i've sent it back as faulty.

Will They send a new one?

I have finished fixing a alienware m17x R4 recently with the 3D ready screen. It had a gtx 675m but it was fried, I got it to work a couple of times but when starting up the new DOOM it gave up.

It tried replace it with a amd 8970m but for some reason it will NOT boot. Keep giving 8 beeps. I then tried a gtx 880m and it worked again. 

It has been a month now and the costumer say it still work flawlessly.

So the gtx 780m shall work, because the 880m is a overclocked 780m with more vram.

9 hours ago, Henrik9979 said:

3D ready screen

9 hours ago, Henrik9979 said:

It tried replace it with a amd 8970m but for some reason it will NOT boot.

As far as i know 3D Screens only works with Nvidia Cards.

On 15/08/2016 at 11:29 PM, Henrik9979 said:

Will They send a new one?

I have finished fixing a alienware m17x R4 recently with the 3D ready screen. It had a gtx 675m but it was fried, I got it to work a couple of times but when starting up the new DOOM it gave up.

It tried replace it with a amd 8970m but for some reason it will NOT boot. Keep giving 8 beeps. I then tried a gtx 880m and it worked again. 

It has been a month now and the costumer say it still work flawlessly.

So the gtx 780m shall work, because the 880m is a overclocked 780m with more vram.

Hi henrik,

Yes they will but I have also managed to source a cheap 680M and have that installed currently.

30 minutes ago, dogs said:

Hi henrik,

Yes they will but I have also managed to source a cheap 680M and have that installed currently.

I'm glad your "nightmare" might be over.

I'm curious if your 780 will be plug 'n' play. Anyway if you want me to fix the driver just say so. Got your back bro. :)

• 3 weeks later...