Going to test clevo 980m in alienware m17x R4, m18x R2, AW17

godfafa

i have found the solution! nvidia inspector+evga precision that is. the only combination that allowed me to change memory clock and use full power. it seems that the card is locked in p2 mode for some reason.

what i did: enabling K-boost in Precision, then altering P2 memory clock from 1600 to 2500. now getting +80% performance gain.

perhaps this information can lead someone knowledgable what could be wrong with the card in this machine by default?

P.S. k boost was the first thing i have tried, but it only boost the gpu clock, adding inpector to the mix added that missing 25% on memory.

sorry, not p2, but p1 state! unlock max and bump memory clock to exactly 2500mhz and gpu to 1200, otherwise the slider goes down automatically when you exceed these values.

- - - Updated - - -

As I said, in new AW17 and AW18, the graphic score will be deducted 3-5% and clock fluctuates.

not anymore for me. having same performance now as on my CLevo with this fix.

i have kicked the k-boost in, and bumped up everything at P1 state in inspector and saved to startup loading.

• Thumbs Up 1

sorry, not p2, but p1 state! unlock max and bump memory clock to exactly 2500mhz and gpu to 1200, otherwise the slider goes down automatically when you exceed these values.

- - - Updated - - -

not anymore for me. having same performance now as on my CLevo with this fix.

i have kicked the k-boost out of the mix now, just bumped up everything at P1 state in inspector and saved to startup loading.

Nice solution.

Does it work as 1038 / 2500 too? or do yo have to OC the clock to 1200?

Nice solution.

Does it work as 1038 / 2500 too? or do yo have to OC the clock to 1200?

no, it works on stock clock. but you have to put the clocks higher or equal to stock(1200 was just estimate) in P1 mode, in either way it will no exceed stock clocks when you change it in p1 state, nor on the core not on the memory.

the core slider can be fixed at any frequency(but will actually work on stock when it set higher than that), while the memory slider resets with anything set higher than 2505Mhz.

for further overclock on the core P0 state has to be altered or afterburner used.

overclock on memory beyond 2505 is not possible with anything i have tried :(

but i suggest to put boost frequency or higher at p1 state. which is 1127, otherwise you will get stuck at base frequency all the time.

no, it works on stock clock. but you have to put the clocks higher or equal to stock(1200 was just estimate) in P1 mode, in either way it will no exceed stock clocks when you change it in p1 state, nor on the core not on the memory.

the core slider can be fixed at any frequency(but will actually work on stock when it set higher than that), while the memory slider resets with anything set higher than 2505Mhz.

for further overclock on the core P0 state has to be altered or afterburner used.

overclock on memory beyond 2505 is not possible with anything i have tried :(

but i suggest to put boost frequency or higher at p1 state. which is 1127, otherwise you will get stuck at base frequency all the time.

Well your saying looks like, you have to OC to match up the normal performance. Am I right?

Well your saying looks like, you have to OC to match up the normal performance. Am I right?

i dont think you can call this overclock.

my Clevo notebook is running same frequencies in Valley as my "overclocked" Dell machine and i get same test results.

i have made 3 shortcuts on my desktop from Insperctor: Idle, balance and boost. so i can go with either mode when i want. /edit: actually not working properly, so only left the boost shortcut.

if i really want to overclock - i can go up to 1261Mhz on the core, using +135 slider on both machines.

i would guess there is somekind of a problem with boost tables reading with this machine, so it locks in 1 mode only when on the load.

so the only way to fix it was to change the P1 state clock to what supposed to be full load clock of p0 state!

i dont think you can call this overclock.

my Clevo notebook is running same frequencies in Valley as my "overclocked" Dell machine and i get same test results.

i have made 3 shortcuts on my desktop from Insperctor: Idle, balance and boost. so i can go with either mode when i want.

if i really want to overclock - i can go up to 1261Mhz on the core, using +135 slider on both machines.

i would guess there is somekind of a problem with boost tables reading with this machine, so it locks in 1 mode only when on the load.

so the only way to fix it was to change the P1 state clock to what supposed to be full load clock of p0 state!

Oh I see.

My friends have the same proble in AW17 with 980m.

Can you confirm the steps to fix the problem?

1. install precision X -> K-boost on

2. nvdia inspector -> P1 states -> chage clock to stock

this is it right?

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980M video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-4930K,Notebook P570WM there is your new target :)

beat it alienwares then i have an excuse to buy one and retire my laptop. :)

really like the look of the m18,its growing on me and with a pair of 980m's.... drool.

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980M video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-4930K,Notebook P570WM there is your new target :)

beat it alienwares then i have an excuse to buy one and retire my laptop. :)

really like the look of the m18,its growing on me and with a pair of 980m's.... drool.

can only offer you single 980m vs single 980m battle, no sli, sorry. :)

it seems that v10 bios has no memory downclocking problem, but still fluctates a lot without k-boost on. unfortunately i cant flash under win8 Uefi and dont want to tear my Clevo appart.

really hoping svl7 will make a vbios mod someday, on the other hand: how will i flash it? oh, well - i will find a way.

Alienware feels much nicer than my Clevo and runs quiter, and 18" version is a dream with 980m sli

it seems that v10 bios has no memory downclocking problem, but still fluctates a lot without k-boost on. unfortunately i cant flash under win8 Uefi and dont want to tear my Clevo appart.

really hoping svl7 will make a vbios mod someday, on the other hand: how will i flash it? oh, well - i will find a way.

Alienware feels much nicer than my Clevo and runs quiter, and 18" version is a dream with 980m sli

If you have non-3D AW17, allowing optimus and boot into legacy win8.

THen you can flash the card.

• Thumbs Up 1

If you have non-3D AW17, allowing optimus and boot into legacy win8.

THen you can flash the card.

thats the thing, mine has 120hz screen.

does the marketplace on this site work? i might consider selling this one, really want AW18 or m18x with dual 980m now and to say goodbye to my Clevo aswell.

Shame your in the states coulda poped ur card in my 570 and flashed it.

i am in finland/russia - right on the boarder, not in states. but still quite far. ;)

375sm-a

edit: sorry, 370sm-a, swapped my 375sm-a, because of the extra lighting that i did not like, but that's for another thread, i have been warned before! ;)

oh btw yes the ti market place is definately worth using far better than ebay higher standard of like minded customers its just had a clearout but was bursting at the seems of stuff ppl sold i sold a laptop on here and video card in the past 6 months.

- - - Updated - - -

i am in finland/russia - right on the boarder, not in states. but still quite far. ;)

375sm-a

p375sm-a ironically is what ill probably be getting to replace the p570wm my brother uses a p370sm3 and we have a p370sm love the laptop its a wonderful machine just prefer a slightly newer 1 if im downgrading.

Can someone MOD an Inf for my R4, thanks (win 8.1)

PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_13D7&SUBSYS_05801028&REV_A1

PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_13D7&SUBSYS_05801028

PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_13D7&CC_030000

PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_13D7&CC_0300

**Edit: Nevermind i figured out the problem, i had to enable the HD graphics again, alongside turning that dang signature enforcement off. What i did not realize is that it needed to be turned off everytime you restart the computer, i figured once turned off it was always off. So i permanently turned that crap off.

----------- Update

When i switch HD4000 "off" my display goes back to the standard PnP monitor in device manager while just running the 980m, if there is a .Inf that corrects this please send it to me so i can update my driver, thanks.

are you using UEFI? with legacy rom disabled?

**Edit: Nevermind i figured out the problem, i had to enable the HD graphics again, alongside turning that dang signature enforcement off. What i did not realize is that it needed to be turned off everytime you restart the computer, i figured once turned off it was always off. So i permanently turned that crap off.

----------- Update

When i switch HD4000 "off" my display goes back to the standard PnP monitor in device manager while just running the 980m, if there is a .Inf that corrects this please send it to me so i can update my driver, thanks.

----------- Update

@mikecacho I don't think that switching is supported. Flash unlocked A11 BIOS, then disable IGP.

Flash stock A11 BIOS (HD 4000 legacy enabled) then follow method 2 (FPT), A11 unlocked BIOS http://forum.techinferno.com/alienware-m17x-aw-17/1964-%5Bm17x-r4%5D-unlocked-bios-versions.html

BIOS settings -> UEFI enabled -> Legacy ROM disabled -> Secure Boot/Fast Boot disabled -> F10

BIOS -> disable the integrated graphics - Second Advanced Menu -> Video Configuration -> disable IGP -> set display to PEG -> Exit menu "Save without Exit" option -> Shutdown.

Install 980M.

F8 Boot options 'Safe Mode' & 'Disabe driver signature enforcement'.

cmd (Admin)

bcdedit /set {default} bootmenupolicy legacy

-> reboot -> F8 'Safe mode' run DDU "Clean and Shutdown" option -> Power on, F8 'Disable driver signing'.

Extract Geforce 344.80 Beta

Display.Driver folder, copy/overwrite nv_dispi.inf

nv_dispi.inf_v344.80_AW_GTX_980M.zip

• Thumbs Up 1

@mikecacho I don't think that switching is supported. Flash unlocked A11 BIOS, then disable IGP.

Flash stock A11 BIOS (HD 4000 legacy enabled) then follow method 2 (FPT), A11 unlocked BIOS http://forum.techinferno.com/alienware-m17x-aw-17/1964-%5Bm17x-r4%5D-unlocked-bios-versions.html

BIOS settings -> disable the integrated graphics - Second Advanced Menu -> Video Configuration -> disable IGP -> set display to PEG -> F10.

BIOS -> UEFI enabled -> Legacy ROM disabled -> Secure Boot/Fast Boot disabled.

Install 980M.

F8 Boot options 'Safe Mode' & 'Disabe driver signature enforcement'.

cmd (Admin)

bcdedit /set {default} bootmenupolicy legacy

-> reboot -> F8 'Safe mode' run DDU "Clean and Shutdown" option -> Power on, F8 'Disable driver signing'.

Extract Geforce 344.80 Beta

Display.Driver folder, copy/overwrite nv_dispi.inf

Will do!, also do i use the same modded nvdmi.inf i currently am using or no?

(i already have the unlocked bios)

Will do!, also do i use the same modded nvdmi.inf i currently am using or no?

(i already have the unlocked bios)

@mikecacho

Edited previous post, 2 steps and use v344.80.

BIOS settings -> UEFI enabled -> Legacy ROM disabled -> Secure Boot/Fast Boot disabled -> F10

BIOS -> disable the integrated graphics - Second Advanced Menu -> Video Configuration -> disable IGP -> set display to PEG -> Exit menu "Save without Exit" option -> Shutdown.

Install 980M.

• Thumbs Up 1