Guys, I guess I should note how I upgrade: I keep a spreadsheet with what the latest, greatest and best parts are, and update it every six months to a year. Since this is a brand-new system, I'm still starting from scratch building that... and the current iteration has not the already-streeted 4930 chip but the just-announced 4940.

I looked at the P370EM, and what ended up selling me on the SM was that I needed a lot of expansion "headroom" to meet my requirement of a ten-year service life... plus ridiculous over-cooling. (Though maybe I was overcompensating... one of my previous machines was specifically built to run StarCraft II "whenever it releases" and barely did so six years later, along with having severe propensity to overheat, and that's about the newest game I play.) Well, that and I got in on the Black Friday sale plus a nice referral discount...

Guys, I guess I should note how I upgrade: I keep a spreadsheet with what the latest, greatest and best parts are, and update it every six months to a year. Since this is a brand-new system, I'm still starting from scratch building that... and the current iteration has not the already-streeted 4930 chip but the just-announced 4940.

I looked at the P370EM, and what ended up selling me on the SM was that I needed a lot of expansion "headroom" to meet my requirement of a ten-year service life... plus ridiculous over-cooling. (Though maybe I was overcompensating... one of my previous machines was specifically built to run StarCraft II "whenever it releases" and barely did so six years later, along with having severe propensity to overheat, and that's about the newest game I play.) Well, that and I got in on the Black Friday sale plus a nice referral discount...

I think a 10 year service life is a bit unrealistic, or at least not the best gaming vs price relationship - especially if you're investing in top of the line CPUs. Top of the line CPUs are ridiculously overpriced for their performance gains, the gains which are so easily neutralised and passed into insignificance over the passage of a few years. Might make sense to upgrade more often using mid high end parts, especially for the CPU, and to some extent the GPU too. For example, the price performance gains of 780M over 680M are almost completely negligible after flashing a modified VBIOS & overvolting/overclocking, so updating to the absolute best latest & greatest components at your upgrade point (and maybe consequently being forced into a larger gap between upgrades) is not great from a performance cost point of view. Whatever works best for your requirements though, there's not one size fits all of course. (Unfortunately, keeping a spreadsheet of the latest & greatest parts doesn't add any more validity or wisdom to your choices!) (Haha, sorry, the last comment was a bit cheeky!)

• 2 weeks later...

maxwell is beeing produced already

750ti

i guess the nem 20nm chips will be around soon for laptops and the story is going to repeat itself again

at first very small chips for very high price and then small chips for high price

its easy to see

but we will get the power of a GTX780 in a laptop, not more not less

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to the 880M release, I got my 780M SLI setup for $200 cheaper. Not bad at all for only a 8-12% performance compromise.. With a bit of overclocking, I could make that percentage even smaller assuming I can do so without setting my house on fire.