Y580 pushing to the limits!

sergioosh

Ok it seems I will have an opportunity to test BF3 after all. EA just released it as a part of HumbleBundle! I don't want this post to sound like an ad, so look up details yourself :) there's still 9 days left.

Yep the Humble Origin Bundle is awesome. Easily the best Humble Bundle I've seen so far.

If you do get BF3, you're gonna be very glad you upgraded to the i7, trust me. The game is gonna suck every bit of juice from your CPU and GPU so any chance you have to overclock either as high as possible then go for it.

I played 30 mins of campaign yesterday and it was butter-smooth on ultra and 1080p without Vsync and GPU@1000/3000. As you wrote before it's the multiplayer that is most demanding, but I just didn't have time to get around it yet.

BTW how did you get this display of all the CPU and GPU details in the upper left corner?

I played 30 mins of campaign yesterday and it was butter-smooth on ultra and 1080p without Vsync and GPU@1000/3000. As you wrote before it's the multiplayer that is most demanding, but I just didn't have time to get around it yet.

BTW how did you get this display of all the CPU and GPU details in the upper left corner?

Really? Never dropping below 60 FPS is my definition of "butter-smooth" and I definitely don't get that with max settings (Ultra preset) at 1080p. Just 4X MSAA by itself cuts my FPS almost in half. I play at the High preset 1080p and it pegs 60 FPS most of the time in both singleplayer and multiplayer (I use an FPS cap) but I occasionally dip into the 30's and 40's in multiplayer. This is with GT 650M SLI @ 1120/2250 stock volts.

For my on-screen display I use the RTSS OSD (it's included with MSI Afterburner or you can download it separately) and the CPU sensors on the bottom half are from HWiNFO64.

Well it looked butter-smooth :) I didn't have anything to display FPS, so it's just a 'feeling'. I'll install some tool to display FPS and we'll know how much butter-smooth it is.

Did you try running it with and without V-sync? It can really mess up frame-rate in some games. I hate playing without it, but sometimes it just makes too much of a difference to be left on.

Well it looked butter-smooth :) I didn't have anything to display FPS, so it's just a 'feeling'. I'll install some tool to display FPS and we'll know how much butter-smooth it is.

Did you try running it with and without V-sync? It can really mess up frame-rate in some games. I hate playing without it, but sometimes it just makes too much of a difference to be left on.

Well seems like it's not butter-smooth after all. I get 32 FPS on Ultra on average. Sometimes drops to 28, but usually stays above 30 with going up to 45 in small spaces. Enough for single player campaign. On the other hand lowering the settings to get 60FPS, and then going back to Ultra really hurts... Funny thing I started this graph thingy (perfoverlay) and I can't get neither of those graphs to be higher than the other no matter what settings I change Oo' Also those numerical values of CPU and GPU load are hard to read.

Well seems like it's not butter-smooth after all. I get 32 FPS on Ultra on average. Sometimes drops to 28, but usually stays above 30 with going up to 45 in small spaces. Enough for single player campaign. On the other hand lowering the settings to get 60FPS, and then going back to Ultra really hurts... Funny thing I started this graph thingy (perfoverlay) and I can't get neither of those graphs to be higher than the other no matter what settings I change Oo' Also those numerical values of CPU and GPU load are hard to read.

• 2 months later...