Tempted by M18x, Should I keep the M14x?

RevDiesel

I recently sold my desktop and ordered a pretty built up M14x that I can take to college. I figured the M14x with a decent OC would be around that of a GTX 460m which would be ok to export to my 50" 1080P TV. Basically I just need someone to tell me no haha I want the M18x for the power but I probably need something to fit in my backpack everyday.

I was planning on getting a new M14x every year with the new GPU etc.. but if I got a M18x with Crossfire I wouldn't have to update for a few years. Searching around I haven't found a clear answer if the M18x has or will have an option for a RGB screen. If it didn't then I probably wouldn't jump on it. Also, do you guys think I could get a M18x with X-Fire, upgraded screen and mabye a +$150 CPU upgrade for $2,400 with a rep discount?

- Thanks

• Founder

Well the M18x will be an order of magnitude more powerful but it will also weigh about 2.5 times as much as your M14x. Even though it has IGP support, imagine hauling around a 14 lb notebook + adapter to school everyday. And where would you really put it? If your university is anything like mine was (UC Davis + Sacramento State), most classes take place in an auditorium with those tiny crappy desks that barely accommodate a macbook. In short: Unless you have the money for BOTH, forget it for college.

You crushed my dreams, Haha jk. Mabye I will get an R2 next year of the M18x and just keep my M14x for school. I really should just stick with a desktop/laptop combo but there is just something about those dual GPU Alienwares!

I swear back in the day I remember going to Alienwares website and building out a laptop and it had an option for some desktop parts lol

• Founder

I would suggest you go with M18x as a desktop replacement and get a netbook for school with great battery life (unless you plan to play games while waiting between classes)

Plus, you can always take M18x to school when you really need it (or a LAN party :D), not the desktop though...

• Thumbs Up 1

I think I agree with StamatisX, see the M18x is not practical to travel with... but it still is a nice system. You have a M14x keep that for school and either get a desktop (5x cheaper for same hardware) or drop a load of $ on the M18x.

I think it depends on your size and preference... I already carry a backpack everywhere, and I weigh ~140kg (310lb). TBH there isn't a laptop on the market that isn't easily portable to me. I look at most 22" desktop monitors and think they would make good laptop monitors.

I think it depends on your size and preference... I already carry a backpack everywhere, and I weigh ~140kg (310lb). TBH there isn't a laptop on the market that isn't easily portable to me. I look at most 22" desktop monitors and think they would make good laptop monitors.

Your nickname should be Tank lol

Lol no ones saying the weight is exessive for travel mainly the size. Lol build a 22inch laptop Jimbo... I've got to see that one. HP had like a 20inch laptop beast or sommething so who knows lol. I carried my R2 to my friends many times and hauled it with all my accessories in a luggage bag lol. I reused some of the foam that came with it and cut it into the right shape to snuggly fit around it so it couldn't shake around.

Keep it. It's pretty much the same specs as my M14X just smaller HDD but with GTX 460M. I can overclock GT 555M to be faster than the 460M. And M14X is also a hella lot more portable than M18X

Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium, 64bit

Intel® Core™ i7 2630QM 2.0GHz (2.8GHz w/Turbo Boost, 6MB Cache)

4GB Dual Channel DDR3 at 1333MHz (2DIMMS)

1.5GB GDDR5 NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 460M

320GB 7200RPM SATA 3Gb/s

Intel® Advanced-N 6200 a/g/n 2x2 MIMO Technology and Bluetooth 3.0

Slot-Load Dual Layer DVD Burner (DVD+-RW, CD-RW)

Internal High-Definition 5.1 Surround Sound Audio

I can only imagine having a m17/m18x in front of me during school. The weight isn't that big of a deal. I put mine in a back pack and don't really notice the weight. I will say however the screen size would be a issue if in a class room setting. The m14x built up would be a good system to casual game on and for school work.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Founder
I can only imagine having a m17/m18x in front of me during school. The weight isn't that big of a deal. I put mine in a back pack and don't really notice the weight. I will say however the screen size would be a issue if in a class room setting. The m14x built up would be a good system to casual game on and for school work.

Agreed, the weight isn't as much of a factor but the size of the system is. The M17x/M18x are too large to even fit on some college seating trays (they're literally trays in those auditoriums). M14x seems like the perfect system for a college student that also wants to game. Welcome to the T|I forum Brian!

Welcome Brian Taylor, the perfect size for a laptop to be touted around and fit a desk or go on a Airplane then it should probably 15inches or less...