Y500 650M SLI Overclocking Possible?

maxmed-a80

• 3 weeks later...

There is a pinned thread by svl7 which will give you all the information you need to accomplish this!

Just successfully overclocked my new y500 GT 650m SLI by using modded BIOS and vBIOS for both cards.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 1 month later...

While the scores have been impressive, what are some real world examples of FPS improvements in games? Also, how have temperatures been with the overclocks? My Ultrabay 750m hits a max of 90C after heavy gaming.

You don't need to have the modded bios to overclock. Listen to bkkeylbao

Try reading through this, it should help.

nVIDIA mobile Kepler 6xx MASTER overclocking guide. Workaround for max clocks/OC stability.

Thank you man, this actually helped quite a bit to figuring out what i need to do to make my overclocking stable without overheating.

While the scores have been impressive, what are some real world examples of FPS improvements in games? Also, how have temperatures been with the overclocks? My Ultrabay 750m hits a max of 90C after heavy gaming.

When I previously overclocked my 650M SLI to 1120/2250 (stock is 790/2000), I went from 49 FPS to 63 FPS (28% improvement) in my custom BF3 timedemo and from 44 FPS to 57 FPS (30% improvement) in the Metro 2033 benchmark. Neither GPU ever went over 80C, even on the hot summer days here. It was the CPU that was getting into the 90's and 100's though.

I have a different Y500 system now and am in the midst of pushing the clocks up. So far, it seems to be a better overclocker than the previous one, so I expect even greater performance. Plus, I've repasted everything with better thermal compound so CPU overheating is no longer the concern it used to be.

So replacing the paste on the CPU actually helped? My CPU doesn't go much over 80C, but I think it may be negatively affecting my Ultrabay card's temps. I've heard the GPU and CPU share a heat pipe, although I can't tell.

Has anyone overclocked the 750M SLI with any success?

So replacing the paste on the CPU actually helped? My CPU doesn't go much over 80C, but I think it may be negatively affecting my Ultrabay card's temps. I've heard the GPU and CPU share a heat pipe, although I can't tell.

Has anyone overclocked the 750M SLI with any success?

Yes repasting the CPU dropped the load temp by 10C for me. Idle temp stayed the same. I'm happy because now I can run my CPU with full Turbo Boost (forced through ThrottleStop) without worrying about thermal shutdown like before.

You CPU doesn't overheat because it's throttling at times. Use ThrottleStop and fire up a CPU-hungry game like BF3 and watch temps go through the roof.

The CPU and and main GPU share a heatpipe and fan. The Ultrabay GPU is on the other side of the laptop with its own fan and is not affected by them.

Loads of people of have overclocked the 750M SLI.

Have any of you had any issues with sli? Like only one card is at a higher voltage or overclocked than the other? My cpuz says i have it in sli, but one voltate is a bit higher than the other. This confuses me and would like someones personal experience on the issue.

• 1 month later...

With Nvidia inspector you are able to clock the P5 state, so in theory, if you rly want to overclock it : You should be able to clock the P5 state and then force the GPU to enter that state with a simple .bat command :)

Google nvidia inspector + a tutorial on how to overclock and also how to change the P-state :)

cheers!

• 2 weeks later...

The latest drivers (327.23) don't let you overclock with .bat commands anymore. Unless I'm doing something wrong. I was going to roll back but this driver finally fixed the issue with games crashing when I alt-tab out of them. Now if you want to overclock you will have to modify the BIOS using Svl7's mod.