Alienware M18x Rumors & Discussion Thread

Brian

• Founder

Well here we go, our first speculation thread and don't worry, it won't get shut down! :06: Here's what we THINK will be the specs so far:

CPU: Sandy Bridge with HM67 chipset

Display: ???? Mostl likely 16:9 and possibly WLED. We're holding out hope for RGB LED/IPS.

Build materials: Looks like this baby's going to be aluminum like the R2. -->May possibly have a combination of soft touch + aluminum base.

Graphics: Dual 6970M and 460M SLi (yeah weak and could change).

PSU: 330W PSU now 240W.

• Thumbs Up 1

Michael Dell wipes his ass with 6970s and eats 485M's for breakfast...much like Chuck Norris.

lol :P

M18x: TOP SECRET..not even Michael Dell knows about it all we know is it's BADD A** and Aluminum

now, if only we could squeeze some more info re: the M18x launch timeframe along with some additional specs - need to see if its truly something worthwhile (personally) atm to holdout for... ;)

Edited by vikingrinn

• Founder
lol :P

now, if only we could squeeze some more info re: the M18x launch timeframe along with some additional specs - need to see if its truly something worthwhile (personally) atm to holdout for... ;)

I keep pinging different people I know for some info. but they either don't know or are tight lipped. I think Dell even got to that Eric guy because he hasn't updated his blog in a while.

There was quite some excitement leading up to CES, and then from what I can tell a bit of a letdown with the release of the M17xr3

From what I have read, some people feel that Del marketing a model to counter Asus G73 increasing market share @ the lower starting price point was not what they expected

• Founder
There was quite some excitement leading up to CES, and then from what I can tell a bit of a letdown with the release of the M17xr3

From what I have read, some people feel that Del marketing a model to counter Asus G73 increasing market share @ the lower starting price point was not what they expected

Disappointment the least, especially when they use a premium brand like Alienware to do that (I wonder why they didn't use the XPS line for that).

• Founder
Well, hopes this M18X is not pure speculation because i don't have a laptop no more and all i have is a big DPA account waiting to be used :D

So why'd you sell the X7200?

Yeah thanks for that, the more people that see it the better.

Love the site btw. It will also give an outlet for reviews that dont skirt around the problems with a product, like slow ssd speeds. I would be happy and keep my R2 otherwise...

-Ash

• Thumbs Up 1

• Founder
Yeah thanks for that, the more people that see it the better.

Love the site btw. It will also give an outlet for reviews that dont skirt around the problems with a product, like slow ssd speeds. I would be happy and keep my R2 otherwise...

-Ash

No doubt I wish reviews would have touched on that early on. Or things like throttling that happened with the M15x etc. When we get new hardware to review, we're going to pick it apart for any flaws it has no matter what brand it may be. And I agree, unless the M18x has 6970M Xfire or 485M SLI, I won't be interested. BTW did you hear about the R2 bios being cracked by TheWiz? He might be able to give us new GPU support.

Very much interested in actual individual sales numbers of the Alienware lineup, I have the feeling like many that the R3 was a dud by DELL standards. Scoured the internet for these individual sales numbers and can't find a drop of info on it on say the sales of M15x in Q2 2010 or total sales of the R2 in 2010 ect.

BTW call me a daily visitor now Brian, its nice to say/blast/flame/praise whatever way you want for once (WITHIN reason ofc)!

Edited by nobodyshero

• Founder
Very much interested in actual individual sales numbers of the Alienware lineup, I have the feeling like many that the R3 was a dud by DELL standards. Scoured the internet for these individual sales numbers and can't find a drop of info on it on say the sales of M15x in Q2 2010 or total sales of the R2 in 2010 ect.

BTW call me a daily visitor now Brian, its nice to say/blast/flame/praise whatever way you want for once (WITHIN reason ofc)!

Welcome NH glad to have you aboard. This isn't another NBR so you won't have overzealous admins/mods acting like overlords here. Just sit back, relax and enjoy. :)

• 2 weeks later...

between the M17x R2 being taken off the alienware site this afternoon and cebit starting (asus just unveiled their g74 3d today at the show), either the relaunch of the M17x R3 single gpu powerhouse is imminent (possibly not only with the amd 6970m, but also nvidia 560m?!?!) or the lineups next dual gpu monster system (mythical M18x?) is on its way - or perhaps even both?!?! :P:D:P maybe just some wishful thinking, but would definitely be nice! ;)

Edited by vikingrinn

• Founder

I think the 6970M for the R3 is nearly assured but I doubt we'll see the 560M this soon unless AW has been testing it all this time. They usually release new video card updates slower than everyone else. But that G74 looks to have a VERY nice screen, I was quite shocked by the videos posted by notebookcheck. The viewing angles seem excellent as does the color reproduction and I've read 300 nits being tossed around as the brightness in addition to higher gamut. That alone should blow away the M17x-R3 display but it remains to be seen whether it can match the R2's RGB LED (doubtful) or the M18x's display, whatever that may be.

Soo happy to see the new site and forum! Wish someone would have told me this was coming when I asked what other forums were around and got a 3 day ban for it, lol!

Glad to be able to talk about the M18x I want to happen!

• Founder

Welcome to T|I getfound. 3 day ban sounds like nbr to me. NH thx for the link! Btw site belongs to stam, me and michael. :)

• Founder

lol those mods over there don't like their "authority"(say it in cartman's voice) questioned. Well you guys can relax here and bring along any friends you can.