Apologies for the spam Read more... ×
Zer0kbps

M17xR4 hd7970 gpu upgrade - different heatsink?

Hi there, 

I'm planning to upgrade my gpu to the gtx 980 from my now knackered cooked 9 times hd7970, but looking at pictures and videos on the web I have a different 3 pipe heatsink to most it seems... 

Others appear to have more copper present on the memory cooler section than mine. 

My question is for anyone who has the same heatsink or knows of this one, have they been able to cool another gpu successfully? 

DSC_0942_1555164715691.jpg

I was just pulling my M17x R3 apart today actually and it's still in pieces next to me. My heatsink also seems to have the extra copper for the memory. Maybe it has something to do with yours being AMD but I don't see why tbh. I would have thought you'd need the Nvidia heatsink for the 980M as they are set up differently on the card. 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Vladimir
      Hi Guys, may be someone could give me a good advice...
      The system:
      Alienware m17x R4 with 120hz panel form r3 (LG - LGD02C5)
      Bios Dell A15 (Also tried unlocked A11)
      Now installed GTX 860m 4gb (Kepler edition) works with no issue
      Bought GTX 970 6gb Aetina production Works under MS driver Does not show image on eDP internal screen right after installing Nvidia modded drivers All external ports ( HDMI, eDP VGA) works with no issues - tested on benchmarks the card itself works great The internal screen could blink several times depending on vBios flashed ( so the card is trying to fire it up) Internal screen is not recognized properly - Using Monitor asset manager i observed that: GTX 860 create two monitor entries 1) Realtime and 1) Registry GTX 970m creates two monitor entries 1)Registry and 2) Registry If I change the max Hz using CRU to 100 and Close/Open laptop screen it will show picture in 1024x768 resolution with no possibility to extend and it also see a "Virtual monitor" attached to real one ( extended)

So the main issue is that INTERNAL Display is recognized AS 2 displays 1 connected to the internal laptop port and one into Display port:
      https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1gehYFsabXcrB9bvaKwsTSCqIS4FGSGIF?usp=sharing

vBios tried Premav2, MSI,Dell,Clevo Drivers version tried: 340,350,380,411

I searched for a something related to my issue here and found themes which are really near - but with different problems
    • By Lyency
      bonjour, je souhaiterai unlock mon bios A15 de mon alienware m17x r4 . pouvez vous m'aider?
      je possède l'unlock A14 est il compatible avec le bios A15?
    • By Sleezy
      Troubleshooting Modified driver Installation. If you are able to successfully modify the .inf to install GPU driver but games still using dedicated graphics or crashing, this is how I got it to work. Also link to the instructions I used to modify the .inf (Credit to Yuki Rea Founder and Creator of null-src.com) That tutorial can be found here https://null-src.com/posts/nvidia-notebook-driver-inf-mod/post.php

Soapbox - Gaming Laptop GPU Upgrade
    • By handale30
      I added this post in the another forum a few months ago but felt like it could also help someone here, enjoy... So ive owned quite a few Alienware laptops but out of all of them my favorite has always been the great m17x R4. I love its aggressive looks, its lines and grills remind me of lamborgini design, the 1 glass sheet screen, the media keys looked futuristic and its laser etched name plate added a touch of personalization and attention to detail that they used to have. So considering it still has powerful specs for modern standards, i7 processors, 32gb ram, 2ssd and 1msata slots, 120hz 3D display, mxm slot, sd card reader, I couldn't help but to sell my 2 current laptops (15 R1 980m, 4k, 15 R3 1060) and purchase a pristine example of this machine with all its original packaging to upgrade it up to todays specs.   The Original Specs of this particular system were:  * Intel i7 3820qm 2.7ghz / 3.7ghz  * Nvidia GTX680m 2gb  * 8gb DDR3 RAM 1600mhz CL11  * 250gb Samsung 840pro SSD  * 1tb Seagate Momentum HDD  * 17" 1080p 120hz 3D display Desired Upgrades:  * Intel i7 3940mx 3.0ghz / 3.9ghz  * Nvidia GTX 1070 8gb  * 32gb DDR3 Ram 1600 CL10 Corsair  * 1tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD  * Liquid Metal and better thermal pads    2019 Specs: * Intel i7 3940mx 3.0ghz / 3.9ghz  * Zotac GTX 1070mxm 8gb  * 32gb DDR3 Ram 1866 CL9 Corsair Vengeance  * 1tb Samsung 860 Evo SSD  * 256gb Samsung 840 Pro SSD  * Liquid Metal and Fujipoly 17w/mk thermal pads  * 17.3" 1080p 120hz 3D display   I already purchased the GTX 1070 mxm, 32gb RAM and the 1tb SSD. The GTX1070 is installed and working at its full power. I applied Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut liquid metal thermal compound to both CPU and GPU and Fujipoly ultra extreme 17.0 W/mK thermal pads with my modified GPU heatsink and new X-bracket. CPU is overclocked from OEM BIOS to stage1    4.1ghz  3.9ghz 4cores. No chasis or board was cut or damaged during this process as I wanted to keep its integrity and no throttle issues what so ever. As I already had the 120hz edp screen, it was an easier job to do and thanks to @Striker123 and to @D4ddy for their threads as they made me have the guts to go through the project and to Rick for selling me this perfect example of a computer.   Alienware m17x r4 1070 mxm http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/msi-gtx-1070-mxm-successfully-working-on-alienware-m17x-r4-another-socket-victory-against-bga-crap.803637/ Alienware m17 Ranger 1070 mxm http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/alienware-17-r5-gtx-1070-mxm-3-1b.800137/   Here are some before and after benchmarks so you can see this baby flying let me know what you think about these numbers... I will be uploading more pictures soon as it only lets me upload 5. If you guys have any questions id be glad to help out.   current issues:    - the GPU fan does not automatically work so I have to use HWinfo to manually build the fan table but HWinfo sucks balls at this and doesn't start them automatically either, also with HWinfo I take control of both CPU and GPU fans at the same time and sometimes I just want my CPU fan to be spinning. so if someone has a fix for this man that would be great!    
    • By true2456
      Hey all, just got my m17xr4 and put my 980m from my m15x (old) in it. I was able to score much higher graphics score in firestrike even though it is a much older machine. I made a custom vbios for the m15x to get rid of any throttling, and am in the process of making on for the m17xr4 but I'm wondering if there is anything else I have missed to deal with the throttling. any help would be appreciated

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.