Apologies for the spam Read more... ×
EwinRacing Flash Series Gaming Chairs
Sign in to follow this  
Tristan0123

M18X R1 Throttling need help

So I have an old Alienware m18x R1 that I upgraded this past Sept. It shipped with nvidia 460m in sli and I ended up putting in a single 780m  I ended up getting everything swapped out and up and running after reading alot of post on this forum . Most of the old games I regularly play ran smooth enough but everything newer seemed to have a have a hard time running smoothly. first i though it was overheating but no temps are normal. Then I noticed that my gpu is throttling. At this point I had some new drivers, that I found ran pretty stable. Came across this thread 

So I did as instructed and wiped the newer drivers in safe mode and loaded out some old ones suggest in the linked thread above.

My problem currently is that throttling is still taking place. I am pretty sure I know what I need to do. When I upgraded the hardware I had trouble finding an unlocked bios for my m18x r1. I know there is a TechInferno link to download one but my account does not let me.  So I found a A05 version that was not unlocked but was still able to support the new card.  So I am attempting to find a unlocked version of the A05 driver so I can attempt to follow the instructions here http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/alienware-m18x-r2-with-980m-possible-throttling-fix.791358/  and change some of the setting in the bios.  I have a feeling this may work but I am currently stuck as I am apparently not able to download anything from this site. 

I am far from an expert on such so if anyone out there reads this let me know if you can help a fellow out or maybe point me in the right direction. Thank you for taking the time to read this.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By mtvgt
      Hi guys,
      i have m18x R1 model with A05 unlocked bios and i try to connect ati mobility 4870 card/s.
      I read ton of posts but people that seem to have similar problem with different card didn't post any solution. Case is when i connect 4870 i get black screen and 8 beeps.
      When i use only integrated graphics (no cards installed) laptop is starting normally.
      When i use integrated graphics (nvidia card installed as master) laptop is starting normally.
      When i use nvidia card installed as master laptop is starting normally.
      When i use nvidia card installed as master and ati 4870 installed as slave laptop is starting normally but in devices manager i see there is error 10 with ati card.
      When i use ati 4870 card installed as master i get 8 beeps and black screen.
      I tried to google for answers but unfortunatelly didn't find any. Do you know if that old card can work in m18x ? Maybe it's not supported at all? Do you have any ideas what else can i try?
    • By GrisGris
      For when that rubber coating on your laptop phase shifts to fly paper...

Here is what I did,

Disassemble M18x:
      Well documented by debaucher:
      The palm rest section was the biggest offender for me;

>I used a plastic spoon and nail polish remover to remove the rubber coating:
      >Obviously remove as many of the various utility boards as possible.
      >I left the touch pad in place because this model used thermally fused plastic rivet like pieces to hold the light pipes in place and I found it easier to mask it off.
      >"FrogTape Delicate Surface" worked very well for masking off various surfaces

>I used Krylon Plastic Paint as a base coat and 'Jet Black metal flake Automotive Paint;

>With the paint still setting up I dusted various glow powders over the substrate and dusted some additional black paint to achieve some depth to the effect .
      >I after the automotive paint set up I use mate clear coat the overcoat the entire surface. I personally believe glossy clear coat would not look as good. 
      >Adjust as needed and re-assemble.

>I Used a USB LED clamp light available ebay/amazon $10 to illuminate

Hope you enjoyed the first post...
    • By michaelgqld
      Hi everyone. I have had a bit of search around but I have not found anything yet pertaining to my issue. I have an Alienware 17 R1 (Late 2013 model). It originally came with an i7 4900, a GTX780m, 120hz 3D panel with intel graphics disabled. I have just got a Dell GTX980m 8GB (BIOS 84.04.2F.00.79 - Device ID 10DE 13D7-1028 05AE) and put it in and it works fine getting into windows and running 2D. However, when I run any decent 3D the graphics constantly hits power limiter and downclocks to around 800mhz. This is confirmed to be power limit in gpuz perfcap reason and this happens regardless of temperature. Running a Unigine benchmark has actually showed the card's performance to be just lower than the 780m I replaced. Using HWiNFO64 I have found that the GPU is being limited to 80 watts. It briefly goes up to over 100 watts but drops to 80.

Power Supply is 240 watt

This laptop always runs off mains power and the battery only lasts a few seconds regardless of apparent charge.

I should also mention that I have tried,
      Setting nvidia control panel power management mode to prefer maximum performance.
      Disabling Battery Boost in nvidia geforce experience
      Setting windows power options to high performance
      I have even installed a fresh windows 10 on a different hard drive and have observed the same result.

Has anyone else done this upgrade and had no issues, are there any known fixes, is this card faulty or just not going to work correctly.

Thanks
    • By p1npo1nt
      I'm going to be upgrading my Alienware M18x R1 with a GTX770m I purchased from ebay; 770m has a Dell P/N: HW6C9 for reference. I have a couple questions about performing this upgrade:

-Is the /unlocked/ version A05 bios necessary? I am receiving 8 beeps on startup with the dell factory A05 bios installed w/ the 770m
      -Is a vBIOS flash required for basic functionality and driver installs? 
      -If so, is there a link to a compatible vBIOS for this card, finally, a guide for installing the new vbios?

Any help is vastly appreciated, I've done some homework but I am new to upgrading MXM modules on laptops. 
    • By smeetooie3
      Hi all,

I just installed a used 980m into my Alienware 17 R1, and I'm noticing benchmarks that are ~12% below what others are reporting online. I'm wondering if this is just meh hardware, if it's a vBIOS problem, or if it's a problem with my computer and not the card.

I noticed that the GPU is getting throttled under load... like, under any load. Here's the clock and temp during 3DMark Firestrike:

Here it is with the voltage as well:

The "perfcap" reason in GPU-Z is power.

Specs:

Alienware 17 R1
      i7 4900MQ
      4x4gb 1600Mhz
      Win10
      My card:

A pre-emptive thanks for any help.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.