Raider480

M17x R4 with 3920xm overclock - TDP Throttle

I posted about this over here, but that has not gained much traction, so I figured that this might be a better place to ask. The full details are in the Reddit post, in case I forget something here, but essentially, I am having trouble with what appears to be a CPU TDP throttle restricting my 3920xm overclock when the package power reaches 55W.

My specs are:

• System: M17x R4
  • CPU: 3920xm
  • GPU: GTX 980m
  • RAM: 16GB (4x4GB) DDR3 1333MHz
  • PSU: 330W
  • BIOS: A11 Unlocked

No matter what multiplier I set in the BIOS or Intel XTU for any combination of 1, 2, 3, or 4 cores active (currently trying 42x for all) my CPU still throttles back to 3.6GHz under a benchmark. Moderate loads of around 50% see a max ratio of 40x~41x but still not meeting the overclock I set. Under a full load at 3.6GHz my CPU is only reaching about 88º C with both an upgraded CPU fan and a repaste, so I don't think that thermal throttling is causing this trouble at the moment.

ThrottleStop lights up the "TDP Throttle" indicator when this happens, and looking under TPL shows that ThrottleStop is reading a Turbo Boost power limit of just 55W (which is Intel's factory max). I do have "Turbo PWR Limit MSR Lock" disabled in my BIOS, and current limits maxed. To be fair, though, this BIOS is still very unfamiliar and difficult to navigate for me, so I could very well have incorrectly adjusted some values.

Is there a way to force the (Turbo) TDP limit higher than 55W? Is my system actually capable of sending more power than this to the CPU? Is there maybe something wrong with my CPU that causes it to ignore my BIOS settings?

Hey, unfortunately there aren't any options to limit the voltage. I also upgraded from an i7 3610qm to an i7 3940xm, and my temps also went beyond 90 degrees which means it's throttling down. Now I did two things so my temps decreased, the first thing is, I lapped the heatsink of the cpu which decreased temps by around 10-15 which is already a huge difference. The second thing is, I replaced the m17X r4 fan with an m14x r2 fan, the r2 fan has a better cfm compared to the m17x r4 in exchange for louder operation (not too loud tho) 

I'll share some links with more information about the fan upgrade and lapping your heatsink, good luck :o)

http://www.overclockersclub.com/guides/lapping/

Edited by naightmehr

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Konstantinos K
      Hello , 

Could someone pls help with unlocking all customizable bios and vbios features for the rog GL702VMK laptop (7700HQ + 1060 GTX)

Already tried editing the extracted bios with ami tool but I cannot flash it successfully .. 

this is my "results" file 
      https://www.sendspace.com/file/iwpx3q

Thanks in advance (Klem) !
    • By Logan
      Hi, 

I have an XMG u705 with the an í7 4790k, a Geforce GTX 980M 8GB, G-Sync Monitor, 32GB DDR3 RAM, etc. and I am damn annoyed by both the Mainboard Bios and Vbios, because both are the cause for a ton of driver issues under Windows 10. Also I can't use my lately bought Samsung 970 Evo, even though technically there should be nothing preventing it. Heck I was even able to install Windows 10 on it, because the Windows 10 installer detected it, just not the Bios which is logically why I cannot boot from it. -.-
      So in search of a solution, I searched the web and found out that there are several mods for both bios made by devs like Prema. Unfortunately some Bios mods I found are heavily outdated, unfinished, ... or not anywhere secure and I couldn't find any location where I could download Prema's Mods for this device, especially not on his Site (just a Subscribe banner there) or his older Wordpress site (errors). There is also nothing here under Downloads/Clevo/P77xZM. 

I would be really thankfull if someone could help me.

• By Flu
      So I bought an older model M17xR3 with 6990 AMD GPU in it. When I turn on the PC the Screen blinks, image get crooked until I boot into the system. Also it won't load the video on YouTube. I can view the pictures on google just fine and load pages as well. Can anyone help me out ? Is it bad GPU or what should I do ? 
    • By Schumsta
      Here are my steps i made:
      1. I made a stresstest and my laptop shut down with a blackscreen (i just had 80degrees on one card and the other one had 35) and i wanted to get my Nvidia Cards back. I tried all with FN+F5, reinstalled windows, tried disabling Intel HD etc. etc. I had no chance to getting them back to Windows + BIOS. But it was working, all of it except the Nvidia Graphics Cards with A12 BIOS.

2. My next solution was to check all my cables and positioning from all cards etc. But all was / is okay. SO if all is okay and i cant get it to work, i had just 1 possible solution, that was this unlocked BIOS for enabling GPU Settings.

3. I made all the steps. All was working (got no Error during BIOS Update) and i restarted..... Bang. 1 Beep loop. After several attemps i cant get it to work again.
      I tried Mr. Fox workaround

Turn the system off and disconnect the AC adapter
          Disconnect CMOS battery and system battery
          Do a power drain (press and hold power button 30 seconds)
          Remove all memory modules
          Reconnect AC adapter and power system on
          Let laptop beep until it turns itself off
          VERY QUICKLY, WHILE IT IS OFF, BUT BEFORE IT ATTEMPTS TO BOOT AND LIGHTS COME ON AGAIN, INSERT A MEMORY MODULE
          System will start to beep 5 times
          Power system off
          Reconnect CMOS battery and system battery
          Replace any panels removed for access to memory modules
          Done…

(CMOS out, all RAM out, Battery off) but it is not working. If i made this i get 5 beeps again. But if i turn it on again i still get my 1 Beep..... CMOS in, all other out. drain it, then start it, i get a 2 beep loop, but it wont restart itself.
      So i dont know what to do to yet. i tried to put out CPU and put out both 980m. Then try to do the same process again but it wont restart itself. I got no Error or something else while flashing. I think it was Success- or Finished-Message at the end and after that i restarted.

Yeah i dont know what to do to yet. i hope it is a easy solution because i dont know what to do without my "little brother".. :/

So... 1. Problem: it wont restart itself the 2 beep loop for nvram Trick.
      2. If i replace the bios Chip, it should work again or is there still a problem with nvram?

I would buy this Chip.
      http://www.bios-chip24.com/epages/63730052.mobile/de_DE/?ObjectPath=/Shops/63730052/Products/33265

Thanks in Advance!!!!

My System: AW18 (2013), 4910mq, 980m sli

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.