Latest News
  • Apologies for the downtime. We had to update our backend and theme.
  • We will continue pushing updates.
  • Apologies for the downtime. We had to update our backend and theme.
  • We will continue pushing updates.
Raider480

M17x R4 with 3920xm overclock - TDP Throttle

Raider480    0

I posted about this over here, but that has not gained much traction, so I figured that this might be a better place to ask. The full details are in the Reddit post, in case I forget something here, but essentially, I am having trouble with what appears to be a CPU TDP throttle restricting my 3920xm overclock when the package power reaches 55W.

My specs are:

• System: M17x R4
  • CPU: 3920xm
  • GPU: GTX 980m
  • RAM: 16GB (4x4GB) DDR3 1333MHz
  • PSU: 330W
  • BIOS: A11 Unlocked

No matter what multiplier I set in the BIOS or Intel XTU for any combination of 1, 2, 3, or 4 cores active (currently trying 42x for all) my CPU still throttles back to 3.6GHz under a benchmark. Moderate loads of around 50% see a max ratio of 40x~41x but still not meeting the overclock I set. Under a full load at 3.6GHz my CPU is only reaching about 88º C with both an upgraded CPU fan and a repaste, so I don't think that thermal throttling is causing this trouble at the moment.

ThrottleStop lights up the "TDP Throttle" indicator when this happens, and looking under TPL shows that ThrottleStop is reading a Turbo Boost power limit of just 55W (which is Intel's factory max). I do have "Turbo PWR Limit MSR Lock" disabled in my BIOS, and current limits maxed. To be fair, though, this BIOS is still very unfamiliar and difficult to navigate for me, so I could very well have incorrectly adjusted some values.

Is there a way to force the (Turbo) TDP limit higher than 55W? Is my system actually capable of sending more power than this to the CPU? Is there maybe something wrong with my CPU that causes it to ignore my BIOS settings?

naightmehr    3
Posted (edited)

Hey, unfortunately there aren't any options to limit the voltage. I also upgraded from an i7 3610qm to an i7 3940xm, and my temps also went beyond 90 degrees which means it's throttling down. Now I did two things so my temps decreased, the first thing is, I lapped the heatsink of the cpu which decreased temps by around 10-15 which is already a huge difference. The second thing is, I replaced the m17X r4 fan with an m14x r2 fan, the r2 fan has a better cfm compared to the m17x r4 in exchange for louder operation (not too loud tho) 

I'll share some links with more information about the fan upgrade and lapping your heatsink, good luck :o)

http://www.overclockersclub.com/guides/lapping/

Edited by naightmehr

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Sarafan
      Hi everyone,

I was looking into overclocking my 4800MQ, so I installed XTU. I'm more or less a beginner at this, however I noticed when I try to benchmark my CPU, the ''current limit throttling'' is almost always occurring. I've tried increasing the processor current limit and undervolting as well but it has no effect. Also, the package TDP doesn't seem to go above 39-40W...

Could anyone help me with this? Why is my CPU throttling without reaching its limit?

• By Klem
      In this thread you can post your requests for Lenovo G710.
      If someone wants upgrade Wi-Fi card and remove whitelist, or unlock hidden additional menus and settings in bios setup menu, then you can post your request in this thread.

For prepare unlocked bios you should post your request here and then send me your file backup of bios via PM.  For creating backup of bios use attached program. Extract attached archive directly on the Desktop and run the program as administrator (right click mouse). Program will create archive "results" directly on the Desktop. Send me this archive "results" via PM.
      https://www.sendspace.com/file/mxoavw
      or
      http://www120.zippyshare.com/v/NC9WuxRI/file.html
    • By Klem
      In this thread you can post your requests for Lenovo G500.
      If someone wants upgrade Wi-Fi card and remove whitelist, or unlock hidden additional menus and settings in bios setup menu, then you can post your request in this thread.

For prepare unlocked bios you should post your request here and then send me your file backup of bios via PM.  For creating backup of bios use attached program. Extract attached archive directly on the Desktop and run the program as administrator (right click mouse). Program will create archive "results" directly on the Desktop. Send me this archive "results" via PM.
      https://www.sendspace.com/file/mxoavw
      or
      http://www120.zippyshare.com/v/NC9WuxRI/file.html
    • By fatihG
      I will be taking apart my laptop soon to clean it up a bit and apply some new thermal paste.
      Figured while I am trying to get some lower temps on my cpu and what I might give overclocking the GPU a try to squeeze out a little bit more perfomance out of them.

Started looking around and found that the clocks have a hard limit on stock vbios.
      Was looking to unlock that and found these forums. 

Since I am in no hurry as of yet, the 1 week pre-promotion is a moot point for me at the moment.
      But honestly part of this post is to get promoted so I can download the files I want.

Apart from that do you guys have tips or can you guide me to info on overclocking?
      I checked out some videos, the files I want to download come with instructions, so I should be good on that. 
      However things like figuring out what the optimal overclocking settings are, what to look out for and what not. If you guys have tips on that please let me know.

If anyone else has the same model/gpu as mine; I would appreciate any tips!

Thanks,

Fatih 
    • By SenikTheFasthog
      Using Win 7 Ultimate and the stock A11 BIOS. No matter how many times I reinstall the driver with admin privileges, I can seem to get the media keys working. I've used the Windows 7 64bit drivers and the 8.1 drivers, nuttin do it.

'Fraid I don't have many leads to follow on my own just yet. So here I am.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.