• Announcements

• Brian

Introducing T|I Marketplace/Classifieds!   11/24/16

After a long wait, Tech|Inferno now has a Marketplace/Classifieds section where all registered (promoted and above) members can participate in selling, trading and seeking out items. This service is free to all members to use as they wish. Currently all ads last for a period of 14 days before they expire for promoted users. Those users belonging to T|I Elite, Contributor, Developer and Moderator have access to 30 day ad periods that are featured   Some easy rules to remember: Do not post multiple ads of the same product. Do not advertise here if you are a retailer or business. You must contact Tech|Inferno for advertising space. Keep ads civil, do not try to lowball members. You may contact them in private via PM if you feel their price is not to your liking. Harassing members will result in an infraction. It is recommended you have Heatware/eBay feedback to establish trading credibility.    Tech|Inferno assumes no liability for any sales posted in the Classified section. Always use common sense when buying/selling with traders and ask for their heatware/ebay feedback!   Enjoy!
Raider480

M17x R4 with 3920xm overclock - TDP Throttle

2 posts in this topic

I posted about this over here, but that has not gained much traction, so I figured that this might be a better place to ask. The full details are in the Reddit post, in case I forget something here, but essentially, I am having trouble with what appears to be a CPU TDP throttle restricting my 3920xm overclock when the package power reaches 55W.

My specs are:

• System: M17x R4
  • CPU: 3920xm
  • GPU: GTX 980m
  • RAM: 16GB (4x4GB) DDR3 1333MHz
  • PSU: 330W
  • BIOS: A11 Unlocked

No matter what multiplier I set in the BIOS or Intel XTU for any combination of 1, 2, 3, or 4 cores active (currently trying 42x for all) my CPU still throttles back to 3.6GHz under a benchmark. Moderate loads of around 50% see a max ratio of 40x~41x but still not meeting the overclock I set. Under a full load at 3.6GHz my CPU is only reaching about 88º C with both an upgraded CPU fan and a repaste, so I don't think that thermal throttling is causing this trouble at the moment.

ThrottleStop lights up the "TDP Throttle" indicator when this happens, and looking under TPL shows that ThrottleStop is reading a Turbo Boost power limit of just 55W (which is Intel's factory max). I do have "Turbo PWR Limit MSR Lock" disabled in my BIOS, and current limits maxed. To be fair, though, this BIOS is still very unfamiliar and difficult to navigate for me, so I could very well have incorrectly adjusted some values.

Is there a way to force the (Turbo) TDP limit higher than 55W? Is my system actually capable of sending more power than this to the CPU? Is there maybe something wrong with my CPU that causes it to ignore my BIOS settings?

Posted (edited)

Hey, unfortunately there aren't any options to limit the voltage. I also upgraded from an i7 3610qm to an i7 3940xm, and my temps also went beyond 90 degrees which means it's throttling down. Now I did two things so my temps decreased, the first thing is, I lapped the heatsink of the cpu which decreased temps by around 10-15 which is already a huge difference. The second thing is, I replaced the m17X r4 fan with an m14x r2 fan, the r2 fan has a better cfm compared to the m17x r4 in exchange for louder operation (not too loud tho) 

I'll share some links with more information about the fan upgrade and lapping your heatsink, good luck :o)

http://www.overclockersclub.com/guides/lapping/

Edited by naightmehr

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By nagelzz
      Hi guys

I've had great luck with some help from your clever minds in the past, and i hope someone here has a good idea for this issue aswell. If not, thanks for stopping by
      I work at a PC Repair shop, and I'm helping yet another customer with a GFX upgrade, but I'm encountering some issues.
      While we are waiting for the GTX 980 in the mail, that we want to install, I am installing a GTX 770M in the customers PC while waiting for the other one. 
      Here's where I'm stumped.

So. GTX 770M is a native card in these models and it installs driver fine and runs well. However, when the computer gets on standby or goes to low power mode (with the screen off), it crashes without BSOD, just shuts off.
      I can see in the event viewer that the computer has crashed with a Code 41 - Kernel Power Error.
      I did get a BSOD once, and debugging it in Windbg pointed to iaStorAV.sys (the Intel Rapid Storage drivers). 
      I've tried several versions of IRST, installing in AHCI mode, removing the SSD mSATA cache drive and so many other things. 
         I dont know what to go for now. Should i try a VBIOS update on the card? It works flawlessly when stresstesting and harddrives have no errors either.

I really hope someone have a great idea or if i should just declare the SATA controller on the motherboard defective?
      It must be some low-power S3 standby or whatever thats causing it. (I'm not a total genius as you can read, but i have picked up a lot of things in my time :D)

Thanks once again
      *Forgot to add, the previously assembled GFX was a GTX 780M, that completely burned out

Regards
      Marc 
    • By aaronloveweed
      Hi All! First thread poste here!

Very happy with my beast ..again!

m18x R2 on modded bios (SG mode needed, optimus mode igfx+dGpu)

So my msi 1060 from alezka.com (Woodzstack thank you) was arrived yesterday, fast, very well packaged , and with a bit of icdiamond7.

Removed (not very well..buyed and used a dremel for first time) the tiny metal square on heatsink , that touch ram on 1060.

put thermal pads everywhere to match heatsink space.

Absolutely do not tight or strengt too much the gpu because has on his backside a big squared capacitator that push on motherboard

Here 3dmark11 to start benching
      msi1060 (stock clocks) + 3920xm(4.2Ghz) on m18xR2 .

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/12179815

Score 13581
      GraphicScore 14934
      Physics 10877
      CombinedScore 10396

Max GPU temp 71° (at 24° t.amb).

And Here 3dMark

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/19968894

Score 9849
      GraphicScore 11547
      Physics 11182
      CombinedScore 4318

Max GPU temp 71° (at 24° t.amb).

Superposition benchmark
      GPU max temp 72°

Now I'm start to look if performance is aligned with other 1060's powered laptops.

All suggestion are very welcome!

Bye All!
    • By Masterchief88
      Hi @ all, i whant to use an EXP graphic adapter with an GTX 1050Ti with ExpressCard on my M18X R1.
      I startet with the Adapter and i can install the NVIDIA driver. The GTX was normal detectet. But i have 2 exclamation mark one by the Card and the second by the PCIe adapter (after installing the driver).
      I have a GTX 780m with modded driver so i cant switch to onboard graphic (with my older 6990m i can do this).
      Error Code 29 (GTX) and Error Code 43 (PCIe).
      I want to use the GTX with the Alienware Monitor but i also testet it on an extern Monitor.
      So have anybody an idea what i can do?

I'm using the Beast Version 8.4d!
    • By Steppdroid
      Hi All, We can Unlock the last bios and vbios for ovc the gtx950m of Asus N552VX ? would  nice!

Specification Notebook
      Backup bios with afuwinx64

Thanks in Advance

If i try to get a backup  bios of gtx950M i get this error:
      (c) 2017 Microsoft Corporation. Tutti i diritti sono riservati. C:\WINDOWS\system32>cd C:\Users\Stefano\Desktop\NVFlash_Certs_Bypassed_v5.287_x64 C:\Users\Stefano\Desktop\NVFlash_Certs_Bypassed_v5.287_x64>nvflash -b backupbios.rom NVIDIA Firmware Update Utility (Version 5.287.0) Modified Version By Joe Dirt Adapter: GeForce GTX 950M (10DE,139A,1043,1C9D) H:--:NRM S:00,B:01,D:00,F:00 WARNING: Debug port will be disabled during EEPROM access. The display may go *BLANK* on and off for up to 10 seconds during access to the EEPROM depending on your display adapter and output device. Command failed to complete mailbox0 = FFFFFFFF Command id:000A Command: NV_UCODE_CMD_COMMAND_PREP failed Command Status:NV_UCODE_CMD_STS_NONE Error: NV_UCODE_ERR_CODE_CMD_TIMEOUT Identifying EEPROM... Command failed to complete mailbox0 = FFFFFFFF Command id:0002 Command: NV_UCODE_CMD_COMMAND_EID failed Command Status:NV_UCODE_CMD_STS_NONE Error: NV_UCODE_ERR_CODE_CMD_TIMEOUT ERROR: Error: Display adapter's EEPROM ID process failed C:\Users\Stefano\Desktop\NVFlash_Certs_Bypassed_v5.287_x64>