NVIDIA has officially lifted the NDA for the GTX 1070 which will be priced at $379 for the
non-reference I mean non-Founders Edition card and $449 for the Founders Edition. Starting June 10th, we should see Founders Edition cards hit the market first which will then be followed by custom AIB cards that will vary in price anywhere from $380 to $450+. The GTX 1070 has a 256 bit bus like it's bigger sibling the 1080 but has 8 GB GDDR5 ram clocked at 8 GHz giving it less bandwidth than the 1080. In addition, the GTX 1070 has been gutted by NVIDIA and is left with 15 SM (streaming processors) and 1920 CUDA cores. It also features 120 TMU (texture mapping units) and 64 ROPs (render output unit/raster operations pipeline) with a peak fillrate of approximately 202 Gigatexels/sec.
|Comparison of GTX 1080/1070/980 Ti|
|GPU||GTX 1080||GTX 1070||GTX 980 Ti|
|Node||16 nm||16 nm||28 nm|
|Transistor Count||7.2 billion||7.2 billion||8 billion|
|Core Frequency||1607-1733 MHz||1506-1683 MHz||1000-1076 MHz|
|Memory Frequency||10 Gbps||8 Gbps||7 Gbps|
|Memory Bus||256 bit||256 bit||384 bit|
|Memory Size||8 GB||8 GB||6 GB|
|Texel Fill Rate||277.3 GigaTexels/sec||201.9 GigaTexels/sec||176 GigaTexels/sec|
|External Power||8 pin||8 pin||8 + 6 pin|
Like the GTX 1080, the 1070 starts at a fairly high base clock of 1506 MHz with boost speeds of 1683 MHz and utilizes NVIDIA's newest Boost 3.0 technology. The cooling unit is pretty much the same between the 1080 FE and 1070 FE that features the new polygonal shaped shroud and fan blower. Like the 1080 FE, the 1070 FE comes with a backplate which theoretically helps keep components cooler. The power delivery system of the 1070 has been cut down a bit more compared to the 1080 and is equipped with a 4-phase dual-FET design.
NVIDIA has stated that the GTX 1070 is as fast as a Titan X in most cases which means it should match or exceed a base 980 Ti in nearly ever metric. Based on the reviews below, it seems NVIDIA was right on the mark.
Here is a round-up in no particular order of current 1070 reviews:
- Hard|OCP: http://hardocp.com/article/2016/05/29/nvidia_geforce_gtx_1070_founders_edition_preview/#.V0uByfkrIuU
- TechSpot: http://www.techspot.com/review/1182-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1070/
- PCPer: http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Graphics-Cards/GeForce-GTX-1070-8GB-Founders-Edition-Review
- Hexus: http://hexus.net/tech/reviews/graphics/93050-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1070-16nm-pascal/
- SWECLOCKERS: http://www.sweclockers.com/test/22153-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1070/10#content
- Hardware Canucks: http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-reviews/72689-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1070-review.html
- Tom's Hardware: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1070-8gb-pascal-performance,review-33567.html
- GameSpot: http://www.gamespot.com/articles/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1070-review/1100-6440307/