Hi guys future m17x owner! or not!

nailik

Hi all, congrats all for this site, i've been reading for a while and decided to register.

I've the chance to get a m17x R2 920xm 8 gb ram xfire 5870, just one owner i know him personally and still with the long dell warranty. price arround 1400 euro. when bought it was not possible to fill more that beast.

first i would like to know if its worth. or if would be better to go for a m18x (i've the chance also to get a 45% off price) so more or less could get a nice m18x. but of course not with xm processor, just for this money.

i'm playing mainly to sc2 and but soon swtor will come :P diablo 3 and so on! :)

i've been reading about upgrade to 940xm and to set up new ati's but not 100% needed atm.

what do you think about? any advice?

regards!

nailik.

• Founder

Well, if you can score a m18x with 45% discount it really isn't a question - go for the m18x.

It has better video cards, same excellent build quality for the R2, stronger CPU (potentially you can swap your non extreme cpu for a 2920/2960xm), HDMI IN, 1" bigger screen :), almost 5 hours of battery life with the integrated graphics card etc.

The only thing that the R2 has on the M18x is the RGBLED display (which i am not sure you'll even get with the unit you meniton)

Bottom line - my opinion - M18x hands down.

Just out of curiosity, what kind of specs on M18x and what is the final price with 45% discount?

M18x is a beast no doubt there, but if we're talking at something like 2x the price, it might not be worth it for the games you mentioned.

I agree Unreal if price is still 2x the R2 its not a better choice but if its still a low total... M18x ftw. HDMI in is indispensable IMHO though i have yet to test that feature lol. So if you travel a lot and tote your lappy around in a backpack get the M18x so you too can feel the sharp sting of chronic lower back pain due to carrying the M18x all over the place. Hahahah just joking love it for the world... still is hefty in any case. BTW having owned the 920XM I know there is no reason to upgrade a 920xm to 940xm unless it was free practically as overclocked they are limited just the same and it comes down to binning... you can be lucky or unlucky in that sense. If you glance at some of our forum overclock forms you can see clearly the 920xm and 940xm reach similar levels. Its like me going from 2920xm to 2960xm. I was going to till i saw they overclock around the same some lower some the same. Only difference is "stock non turbo clocks" and those don't truly matter.

http://forum.techinferno.com/misc.php?do=forms

Edited by mw86

The specs are the ones i put on the configurator of dell website, and then applying the discount, it happened the same with that R2 i've mentioned before. it was 4600 euro and the final bill were 2600 more or less. then aplying the same logical i would like to know what m18x would be more than enough to play those days having the option to upgrade in the future.

i mean: what cpu would you choose

amount of memory

graphics card?

i'm totally lost those days in mobile computing! :D

huge thanks all for the answers :D

Edited by nailik