Using internal LCD in OSX (El Capitan)

cbong23

You can only run rendering apps on the internal display.

Another way is to start games on an external monitor (conencted to the eGPU), make them Windows mode and drag the window on the internal monitor (cant go fullscreen again, though…).

No, like I said:

Internal display can use the eGPU for rendering apps, like Octane.

But in general you HAVE TO use an external monitor in OSX with the eGPU. DVI, HDMI, DP… one of the ports that the GPU of the eGPU has.

The concept of rendering means apps such as Octane and Indigo renderer. There are number of apps which can utilise offscreen OpenGL and computing power of OpenCL or CUDA. Adobe After Effects, Photoshop, Premiere, Final Cut Pro X etc. In this case, an external monitor is not necessary. But I don't know how well Adobe apps support external GPGPU on current release of El Capitan. CUDA drivers may not be always compatible. There was a thread about this. For OpenGL gaming, an external monitor is necessary.

But that’s not the whole story. I can run some games and Valley benchmark purely on the internal retina screen accelerated by eGPU via TB port only, other display cables disconnected. The proof of concept is done, but far away from any practical for now.

• 2 months later...

Here's @w4vz' relevant nugget from https://www.techinferno.com/index.php?/forums/topic/6962-2012-15-macbook-pro-gtx97010gbps-tb1-akitio-thunder2-win10osx1011-w4vz/&do=findComment&comment=131467

under OSX you have to use an external screen; no choice. Under windows you can use optimus.

That said I experimented a while ago and I think you can get accelerated internal screen under OSX with mirror mode and a dummy plug on the eGpu because it worked for me if I started a game on mirror mode with my screen then disconnected it I could still play on the internal screen without performance loss. Haven't tried to dig any deeper yet.

• 3 weeks later...