Drivers are killing my M18x!

Jimbo

I'm posting this because I'm sick of banging my head against the wall.

Went to update to catalyst 11.8 about a week ago, had problems very similar to techbear

tried to install the AMD mobility driver. After "express" installing the AMD driver there were no errors in the install log, but it did not ask me to restart like the Dell drivers do - restarted, but while starting up noticed that the resolution is lower and looking under device manager only the default VGA driver was still installed - tried to install again and restarted, but did not help.

There must be something small and simple I'm missing in installing it.

Decided to update the intel graphics drivers while I was at it (I think this is where I really went wrong). Downloaded the latest version, updated, no probs.

Finally got the 11.8 beta drivers to install (they seem to be a much bigger file than the official 11.8 if that means anything). However, performance/frame rates have been destroyed. 3dm11 scores me at ~P1000 and it's not wrong, I can't play anything. I have gone through multiple scenarios of removing everything and reinstalling, nothing seems to make any difference.

This is really driving me nuts, can anyone help please!

are the 6990 showing p in the bios? first thing i would try is a battery drain, prolly with cmos out too.

if you did a clean install, then i recommend using the dell driver then updating with the newer ones right over them, the intel driver s not really needed since the dell ati driver installs everything needed for the igp.

I'm going to use alien respawn, nothing I do seems to make a difference. Tried every install order, even not installing the intel drivers at all.

They do show up in the BIOS thanks for that idea boobs, well if you mean on the first page there is two "ATI GFX" listed.

Edited by Jimbo

I did an alienrespawn recovery, then uninstalled all AMD/ATI drivers (reboot), driversweeper (reboot), CCleaner registry clean (reboot), Installed 11.8 beta (only the beta seems to work) (reboot), ran tests.

Okay sorry I missed this thread been gone for a bit. Jimbo you may not of had the same experience as me but I think I am running top notch on Dells latest release of 11.8. I've tried the ATI latest and had lots of trouble and instability. But I have not one issue on Dells official 11.8. Hope this helps.