Windows 10

Jolan

I have an M17x-r3 upgraded with an 880M. I am running the latest drivers as well (353.30). When I run the compatibility check for the Windows 10 upgrade is says it cant be installed on this machine because the 880M wont work. If we upgraded the GPU are we locked out of using Windows 10?

Exactly my point. My card isnt a supported one in this system. I installed it and am using a modded driver and unlocked bios which works fine but the Windows 10 compatibility check has some issue with the video card. Mine is an 880M, not an 980M. Originally it was a 580M.

Exactly my point. My card isnt a supported one in this system. I installed it and am using a modded driver and unlocked bios which works fine but the Windows 10 compatibility check has some issue with the video card. Mine is an 880M, not an 980M. Originally it was a 580M.

I believe upgrading to Win10 will not be a problem. I also used modded drivers in 10 and everything is great!

I think this is for two reasons:

1- "Get Windows 10 compatibility scan" checks for driver signature, and since you are on a modded driver it shows as incompatible.

2- AFAIK some Windows 7 drivers and even windows 8 drivers are not compatible with Windows 10, that's why Nvidia released several Win10 drivers - 352.84 , 353.17 , 353,49 , 353.50.....

Also I believe that this scan shows the compatibility driver-wise not hardware-wise. So when it checked Windows update database for "Nvidia 880M" it didn't find any driver. That's why we use modded drivers from Nvidia for Windows 10.

When I installed Windows 10 at first, instead of seeing 980M I saw Microsoft display adapter before installing Nvidia drivers.

I have an M17x-r3 upgraded with an 880M. I am running the latest drivers as well (353.30). When I run the compatibility check for the Windows 10 upgrade is says it cant be installed on this machine because the 880M wont work. If we upgraded the GPU are we locked out of using Windows 10?

I had a similar issue with my GTX 765M and was able to get around it. What I ended up doing was going into the BIOS and disabling the discrete graphics and enabling the integrated graphics (the instructions on how to do this are included in the forum post that talks about installing windows on an A12 unlocked bios, can't seem to find the link right now). Booted back into Windows, and did the Windows 10 upgrade install from: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10.

After the Windows 10 install completed, I removed my NVIDIA drivers and created a registry key to allow Windows to gracefully recovery from GPU driver crashes: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2665946

Then I downloaded the Windows 10 drivers for my GPU from NVIDIA's website, extracted them, made the changes to the nvdmi.inf file to allow it to install, and then I put Windows in Test Signing Mode.

Rebooted my computer, entered bios on start up, disabled integrated graphics and enabled discrete graphics.

Booted into Windows 10, installed the NVIDIA drivers, turned off Test Signing Mode and rebooted. Everything appears to be working, including the Azalia audio.

I hope this helps get your M17x-r3 on Windows 10.

Note: please be careful when disabling discrete graphics and enabling integrated graphics and vice-verse. I have screwed up this process enough times, requiring me to remove my discrete card, clearing and resetting the BIOS settings just to get my M17x-r3 to boot again.

• Thumbs Up 1

OK, after reinstalling win 8 and got the updates that stupid win 10 icon showed up and i did a report and it said my 980M was not compatible due to lack of nvidia drivers (which is total BS BTW). So i decided to install win 10 and i chucked in a spare HDD and it installed as usual. installed the modded nvidia drivers and it works nicely so far.

Warning AW owners...

Windows 10 Upgrade Warning for Alienware Owners | NotebookReview

@All, Windows 10 & v353.62 has blown out four Samsung display panels -> AW18, M18xR2, AW17 <- Please uninstall current driver (DDU/Clean & Shutdown) and install v352.84 from here http://forum.techinferno.com/nvidia/6307-%5Balienware%5D-aftermarket-upgrades-driver-support-modded-inf-31.html#post136061

Win7/8.1 users please install previous version 353.49 as a precaution, from here http://forum.techinferno.com/nvidia/6307-%5Balienware%5D-aftermarket-upgrades-driver-support-modded-inf-45.html#post138999

Samsung LCD displays:

Alienware 18 R1 , M18xR1, M18xR2, Alienware 17 R1 60Hz & 120Hz (Samsung & AUO), M17xR4 120Hz...

Please post your concerns here Windows 10 + Official 353.62 Drivers Has Killed Three Samsung LCD Displays