M17X-R2 MR 5870 mod to 6870M with OverDrive Support

• Founder
i was thinking to have 6800 series features that werent available for 5800 series through firmware upgrade so the driver will enable those features upon installing. thanks for ur help.

what are those extra features?

• Founder
Morphological AA, smooth video settings, etc.. which are all driver based

Ok I got really curious about it and I gave it a try.

This is the 6870 ROM I used to flash my cards. As svl7 mention use the -f option to force the flash.

n0.zip

It uses the stock 700/1000 clocks with 1.05V but it has overdrive enabled. Side effect: the fans spin at maximum speed all the time.

These are two screenshots of the CCC settings with the 11.8 preview drivers

post-3-14494988525777_thumb.jpg

sorry to disappoint you but no so such options as Morphological AA or anything else different than what I had with the 5870 vBIOS and the same drivers or the 11.7. (Mind you that the drivers were completely removed before reinstalled)

post-3-14494988525253_thumb.jpg

• Thumbs Up 2

I flashed the modified 5870 vBios and the fans are like normal but still have the overclocking option in CCC. I would recommend that! On a side note, I'm not sure if this is driver related or not, but ever since I flashed the modified vBios, my VGA out won't detect external monitors?? Weird.....

i not sure what laptop you using, but you should't crossflash your cards if is not dell. I did not have the option to test with ext display sence i'am traveling a lot. if you give me more info about what laptop you using and what driver i may able to help.

If you flashed my mod vbios the OD in CCC will be displayed that was the whole point for me.5870 vbios you should not have any problem with the fans however with mod 6870 M vbios will goes hailwire...

Does anyone have an unmodified 6870m vbios they could post?

My M17xR3 6870m has been acting funny since I got it, GSODs and such. I've tried a number of things, and while I know this isnt the thread for this, I figure one of you may have an unmodified 6870m bios that I could borrow to replace the one on mine.

Thanks

Check your VBIOS version, if it's 012.020.000.027.037640 it won't make a difference and then it's probably a hardware issue and time to call Dell. Btw, what are your temps?

My temps never go above 70 even while gaming. I have it sitting on a cooler. The vast majority of the time they are hovering in the low 60s.

I had heard that the GSOD could be caused by a bad flash, but in order for that to be so it would have been flashed bad from the factory... So I dunno.

My vbios version is 012.020.000.048.039443

That's interesting, you have a more recent VBIOS version, which usually runs better than the older versions. A bad flash would cause the card to not run at all. There's no harm in trying, I'm sure @AssimilatorX has an unmodified version of his vbios somewhere.

• 2 months later...