Thoughts on Lenovo Yoga Pro vs Surface Pro??

chonchon

Question

Wanting to buy my wife a new computer for her dying ideapad. She doesn't really do any gaming or anything intensive on her computer, just using Office, browsing, streaming.

Thinking the full windows version of the yoga or surface might be the way to go for someone with those needs. Anyone have strong thoughts one way or the other?

4 answers to this question

I would suggest Lenovo Yoga 3 Pro as you will get to test the new Core M (Broadwell-Y).

The 3,200x1,800-touch-screen of the Yoga is very clear too.

It also comes with 256GB SSD and "build-in keyboard".

All this will cost you around 1,300 USD.

For the Surface Pro, It is still stick with the old Haswell which will gradually migrate out of the market during Q1-Q2 2015.

The comparable Surface Pro 3 to the Lenovo Yoga Pro 3 is the Core i5 with 256 GB and 8GB of RAM BUT!! without Type Cover.

The Type Cover will cost you 129 USD additionally.

In total you need to pay 1,428 USD for the Surface option.

My friends who own the Surface Pro 3 also told me about a throttling problem due to Haswell-Y is still too hot for a very thin chassis.

If you prefer the design of Surface. I think you should wait for Surface Pro 4 with Broadwell-Y.

Goodluck with your choice.

• Thumbs Up 1

Wanting to buy my wife a new computer for her dying ideapad. She doesn't really do any gaming or anything intensive on her computer, just using Office, browsing, streaming.

Thinking the full windows version of the yoga or surface might be the way to go for someone with those needs. Anyone have strong thoughts one way or the other?

I was in same situation as you a few months back. My wife needed a tablet that can run Windows 8. So I got her the lowest model from the Surface Pro 3 series. I believe its the 64 gig i3 model. She surfs the web all day and watches youtube and movies from on a usb flashdrive. For what she does, I have never seen it slow down, or overheat. She doesn't game or run any CPU intensive stuff. Bought her a 64 gig micro sd card, and thats more storage than she will ever need. If your wife just surfs, youtube, and facebook, with some office here and there, consider the cheapest model. Cause for non-intensive stuff, its pretty snappy. Also, if you disable bitlocker, you will definitely notice a speed improvement. Everything just opens instantly. I got her a keyboard too but she never uses it. (BTW, I got the surface 3 i3 model, type cover keyboard, and msft arc mouse surface edition all for 700 bucks off of craigslist. I was kind of skeptical it might be stolen or something, but I had no problems registering with MSFT) Also, if you do get a Surface Pro 3, I suggest you go to Microsoft's support site and download a restore image for your model. You will have to use the specific serial number for your device, and you can download the factory restore image. Trust me, the UEFI bios on the surface is a bitch to work with. Also, the USB3 port is underpowered, so alot of external devices might not work properly.

I might be a little biased because I own a Surface Pro 3 i5 256gb.

If you, or she, will never use the Surface Pen there is no reason to get the Surface Pro 3 over other options. That being said I love my SP3. I use mine for college (Mechanical Engineering) and it has replaced all of my paper notebooks. I am able to run Office, MatLab, Mathematica, Visual Studio, and everything else I have tried installing (I don't game on it). The throttling issues, at least for me, were solved with a firmware update. I sync everything with OneDrive and it automatically makes all of my notes and files from the Surface available to my other computers in case I want to use a bigger display or a more robust keyboard.

The reason I wouldn't recommend it if you don't use the pen is because there are less expensive options that aren't as fragile. I have Microsoft Complete which covers me if I accidently drop it, but that was an extra $150. If you drop the SP3 on anything but angel feathers the screen will crack. It feels solid in the hand but there is just too much surface area, combined with not a lot of support for it to withstand a fall onto hard floors.

Like I said, I love mine, but it isn't for everyone. I don't feel like it replaces my laptop, but it makes it so it doesn't leave the house. If you do decide to get one make sure to budget the extra $150 for MS Complete.

I'd suggest to go with the surface pro 3, but make sure to get the i5 processor. it's more portable, faster, has a longer battery life, has a more spectacular screen (with better blacks) and it comes with a free pen! Just make sure to also purchase the type cover.