Going to test clevo 980m in alienware m17x R4, m18x R2, AW17

godfafa

oh ok, though they seem to only ship to the US or at least take payments from the US. :(

They ship internationally, choose a sales advisor, select 3% "no fees" discount. Once they emailed you ask for paypal or any other payment method.

They ship internationally, choose a sales advisor, select 3% "no fees" discount. Once they emailed you ask for paypal or any other payment method.

ah!

will shoot off an email to their CS to see what I can do.

EDIT: I assume you bought your 980M from them and it's all good?

ah!

will shoot off an email to their CS to see what I can do.

EDIT: I assume you bought your 980M from them and it's all good?

Yep, thanks to the bureaucracy of the country I'm currently living it's stuck in customs since January 5th.

I was wondering if anyone knows if I can just use the x brace that comes on the 980m if I have the right screws for it. Cuz when I swapped xbracket an 780m I bought the darn thing was so hard to get off I was afraid I was going to damage the card for sure and I would just rather use the one that comes with the card.

I was wondering if anyone knows if I can just use the x brace that comes on the 980m if I have the right screws for it. Cuz when I swapped xbracket an 780m I bought the darn thing was so hard to get off I was afraid I was going to damage the card for sure and I would just rather use the one that comes with the card.

just use the one that comes with the 980M - it does mean that you'll be using different screws though i've been told you should be supplied with the screws, thermal pads, thermal paste, etc.

just use the one that comes with the 980M - it does mean that you'll be using different screws though i've been told you should be supplied with the screws, thermal pads, thermal paste, etc.

I hope so because there's no way I trying to remove or pry off a xbrace on a brand new $900 gpu. My luck one of the tiny resistors next to xbrace will pop off or something. I got buzzerd luck when it comes to stuff like that

I hope so because there's no way I trying to remove or pry off a xbrace on a brand new $900 gpu. My luck one of the tiny resistors next to xbrace will pop off or something. I got buzzerd luck when it comes to stuff like that

i would like to use the x-bracket from the 780M on the 980M but by all accounts it seems that when the GPU arrives to you it already has the bracket attached to the card (i.e not separate that you have to install yourself).

i would like to use the x-bracket from the 780M on the 980M but by all accounts it seems that when the GPU arrives to you it already has the bracket attached to the card (i.e not separate that you have to install yourself).

For you it would be better to use your 780m x bracket because it has the heatsink ears to cover the memory on the back of your card. But taking those things off seams like a gamble to me .

For you it would be better to use your 780m x bracket because it has the heatsink ears to cover the memory on the back of your card. But taking those things off seams like a gamble to me .

if...

a) i could take off the x-bracket without damaging both cards

B) had a way to reattach the bracket to the new card

from the eurocom install video there's an optional bit of protective sheet that has the thermal pads for the underside of the GPU.

http://youtu.be/fh8ockwbDiE?t=1m43s

if...

a) i could take off the x-bracket without damaging both cards

B) had a way to reattach the bracket to the new card

from the eurocom install video there's an optional bit of protective sheet that has the thermal pads for the underside of the GPU.

That's the problem once I took xbracket of my original 770m for the 780m it didn't want to stay on so I had to tack with a couple drops of super glue onto 780m to keep from pushing of back of card when I tried to screw the heatsink on. So I think if all possible it is best just to use the xbracket that comes with card and get the screws to mach.

That's what I plan to do.

That's the problem once I took xbracket of my original 770m for the 780m it didn't want to stay on so I had to tack with a couple drops of super glue onto 780m to keep from pushing of back of card when I tried to screw the heatsink on. So I think if all possible it is best just to use the xbracket that comes with card and get the screws to mach.

That's what I plan to do.

that's the best course of action.

trying to see how to get that thermal pad sheet thingy.

When you buy the 980M just ask them to include the screws you need for the support plate (x-bracket). Do no try to remove and transfer the support plate from your old GPU. Not only are they challenging to remove without bending them up, it's simply not worth the effort or risk. If the GPU came with no support plate, then I would purchase install a new Alienware support plate. I think the benefit of using the Dell support plate that has a memory heat spreader is negligible.

I was getting more consistent results with the stock vBIOS on SLI. It was pretty solid. With the modded vBIOS I can overclock the guts out of one GPU, but... SLI behavior sucks.

It would be awesome if it didn't throttle. Below is a Vantage run with no GPU overclock and just a couple of random throttle events that didn't hurt too much. Stayed solid at 1127/1253 through Jane Nash and New Calico almost the whole time.

Compare that with my best 780M SLI score and it's an amazing product when it works right. I may go back to using the stock vBIOS until I can get my Clevo because it is really inconsistent. Reinstalling drivers doesn't always help with this vBIOS mod because it seems to be fighting some kind of TDP limiter that induces the throttling when both GPUs are under load. Using a different driver version each time I reinstall with the modded vBIOS seems to help "confuse" whatever kind of power monitoring filth is interfering with things.

Vantage: M18xR2 780M SLI heavily overclocked versus 980M SLI not overclocked

post-119-14494999175007_thumb.jpg

Yea I seen that in the eurocom video.

I will ask hidevolution if they have something like that or what they use for there card installations.

i made the post asking about it LOL

also sent them an email to see how i could get it and how much it would cost.

The 3dmark11 score is not very good - that worries me :(

maybe its because of the drivers ?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]13689[/ATTACH]

it was indeed because of the drivers ! :)

I have udated the drivers to 347.09 ( modded ) and the score is now quite decent

post-31977-14494999175785_thumb.jpg

dedicated as I said before :)

another run - it gets better and better ;)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]13707[/ATTACH]

so by your score it seems that with everything stock it should function ok in dedicated mode. damn i wish i could order now to test :P

I allready use clevo x bracket on alienware but alienware x bracket on a clevo is not so good.

It's easy switching x bracket in gpu, you just need to be patient and apply pression to each corner one by one but pressing stronger each turn. After 10 turn..depending on you, its removed carfully. Allready done by this methods a lot of time without any trouble. Just have some anti static glove by security.

So dedicated mode with .09 modded in r4 work good.. interresting :)

Check this https://www.powernotebooks.com/category.php?catId=309

USPS Express TAX/CIF, warranty Sager 3 months.

Well that sucks, they are in NV so they are charging sales tax =/

Still, almost $100 cheaper than everywhere else but only 3 month warranty? hmm....

Does it include the X-Bracket and does it work on the M17x R4? Would I need to move over my current X-Bracket? Can I just order a new one? Where would I get it? Thanks.

Well that sucks, they are in NV so they are charging sales tax =/

Still, almost $100 cheaper than everywhere else but only 3 month warranty? hmm....

Does it include the X-Bracket and does it work on the M17x R4? Would I need to move over my current X-Bracket? Can I just order a new one? Where would I get it? Thanks.

RJ Tech is the same - it's $720 USD + x-bracket (not sure about the thermal pads or thermal paste) + 90 day warranty.

for some reason they're charging $5 for the screws.....WTF?