M14x questions about CPU temp and calling AW

Ixel

Theres slight variations between cards, Super slight physical anomolies that are either good or bad. No two cards are identical, But usually their virtually the same, like the sweat spot for overclocking the 555m is about 750,1000 on almost all m14x's. And alot of those people who hit those high clock speeds (800,1000) Usually volt mod their GPU/CPU and repaste their CPU and GPU with aftermarket thermal paste.

Off the top of my head there are two things you can do to get lower temps.

1)find the thread for alienware fan control and force your fans to 100% when gaming

2)Repaste your Cpu and GPU.

On a side not the CPU and GPU use the same heat sync so theoretically if one component runs cooler than the other it will help keep the overall temps down. Just some thoughts. Also, you can try removing the plate over the ram to increase air flow.

Appreciate your response yet again ninja :) i thought i wont be getting any cause its lunch time :D

Thanks for making that clear.... 750/1500/1000 does indeed appear to work for most people.... Have you overclocked your system too?? if thats a yes, then what were your temps before and after the repaste??

And given our conversation, am I right in assuming that if i want lower temps i should repaste my system too, although you think my temps are fine??

Gladiator - Since i have thoroughly tested this so far, here is what I would do. Download throttlestop which is an awesome application. While playing BF3 set throttlestop to disable your turbo. You wont need it and it just increases temps. (assuming your playing on an I7). The cpu temp will now stay around 82 to 83c and you can keep your GPU overclocked at 752/1002 which is were i keep it. I have benched both sp and mp and the extra 600mhz from turbo doesn't seem to offer any increase in FPS. I mean zero. So give that a try and see how it goes.

Good luck,

StevenX

Edited by Stevenxowens792
  • Thumbs Up 1

Gladiator - Since i have thoroughly tested this so far, here is what I would do. Download throttlestop which is an awesome application. While playing BF3 set throttlestop to disable your turbo. You wont need it and it just increases temps. (assuming your playing on an I7). The cpu temp will not stay around 82 to 83c and you can keep your GPU overclocked at 752/1002 which is were i keep it. I have benched both sp and mp and the extra 600mhz from turbo doesn't seem to offer any increase in FPS. I mean zero. So give that a try and see how it goes.

Good luck,

StevenX

Aha! there you are Steve! Really look up to you for advice... Thanks for the reply :)

Few more temps.... Half an hour on BF3 multiplayer... OCed to 680/1360/950... Max temps of 93 deg. c (with turbo boost) !!! :distress: Am i doing something seriously wrong?? in my limited knowledge, those are just some crazy numbers! it shouldnt be that high, or am i wrong?? :S

Thanx for the advice Steve... will definitely do that and let you know how it went.... One quick question comes to mind though... I had earlier tried disabling turbo boost manually.... seemed to work as i was getting lesser temps.... but one thing that definitely stood out was frequent lag spikes when playing the game.... Using throttlestop, are you experiencing any such thing when you disable turbo boost??? And would you say that the temps i am getting currently with the OCs are normal???

Sorry if i sound like an inquisitive jerk :D:D

No lag spikes for me unless the actual host server is experiencing bandwidth issues. Then everyone complains about it. Remember to disable your network throttling in your windows registry. This helps a lot with network games. (trick of the trade wink wink)

I see... That sounds good! :) Also, can you please guide me as to how to disable network throttling?? And, i really need your opinion on this one, cause it will help me decide whether or not to go in for a CPU repaste.... Do my temps look normal for the kind of OC i am doing?? I know people have done higher OCs while getting lesser temps, but given my situation, would you say the temps I am getting are fine??

I need your system details please.

To disable network throttling. (This helps ALL network or online games)

1. Start -> run -> Regedit

2. Choose File -> Export > then export your registry in a safe please in case you mess something up. ( you can import it later)

3. Choose HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE -> SOFTWARE -> MICROSOFT -> WINDOWS NT -> MULTIMEDIA -> SYSTEM PROFILE

4. Here you will see a setting on the right hand side called "Network Throttle Index"

Double Click the actual word NetworkThrottlingIndex. Notice you will see a field called Value Data and a BASE called Hexidecimal and Decimal. In the Value Data change it to read ffffffff. Again that is ffffffff. (that is 8 x f)

5. Make sure you hit ok and then shut the machine down gracefully. (meaning do a full start -> shutdown -> then power off. Then boot back up. viola.

Good luck,

StevenX

• Thumbs Up 1

I need your system details please.

To disable network throttling. (This helps ALL network or online games)

1. Start -> run -> Regedit

2. Choose File -> Export > then export your registry in a safe please in case you mess something up. ( you can import it later)

3. Choose HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE -> SOFTWARE -> MICROSOFT -> WINDOWS NT -> MULTIMEDIA -> SYSTEM PROFILE

4. Here you will see a setting on the right hand side called "Network Throttle Index"

Double Click the actual word NetworkThrottlingIndex. Notice you will see a field called Value Data and a BASE called Hexidecimal and Decimal. In the Value Data change it to read ffffffff. Again that is ffffffff. (that is 8 x f)

5. Make sure you hit ok and then shut the machine down gracefully. (meaning do a full start -> shutdown -> then power off. Then boot back up. viola.

Good luck,

StevenX

Got that! Will try that and see how it goes... thanks yet again for the process! :)

My bad for not including my system specs on the last message; Here they follow. Sorry for persistently bugging you about this, but hey, being a moderator has its downsides, right?? ;)

System specs :

Alienware M14x

Core i7 2630

GT555M 1.5GB

4 GB RAM

Win 7 64 Bit Home Premium

900 p Screen

I play BF3 at a mix of high and medium settings (AA deferred off; Anisotropic Filtering at 4x; SSAO; AA Post Medium @ 1366 X 768) and yet, with low OCs (~720/1440/1000) i get temps upto 95 Deg.C (turbo boost on) after an hour of gaming using MSI Afterburner and coretemp (with a targus chillmat!) :(

hmm.. that does sound quite weird... i mean my cpu temps have gone very high before, (99 on 3 cores, 97 on other :P) but it has always been during high overclocking, running a stress test, or messing something up with fans..

Sounds very odd that your computer is showing results like that at such a low overclock, but then again, it's pretty hot where you live. That said, it was 35 C where i was when i had those massive cpu temps, and there was minimal air conditioning. Now that it is ~ 7 C my temps are usually in the 80s, with a gaming overclock of 750 on core.

I have a question for you, would you do me a favor and pop open ur m14x and check to see if you have abundant dust? I know it sounds stupid but sometimes heat can be from something as silly as that. If you do, by some pressurized air from the local hardware store and blow it out

hmm.. that does sound quite weird... i mean my cpu temps have gone very high before, (99 on 3 cores, 97 on other :P) but it has always been during high overclocking, running a stress test, or messing something up with fans..

Sounds very odd that your computer is showing results like that at such a low overclock, but then again, it's pretty hot where you live. That said, it was 35 C where i was when i had those massive cpu temps, and there was minimal air conditioning. Now that it is ~ 7 C my temps are usually in the 80s, with a gaming overclock of 750 on core.

I have a question for you, would you do me a favor and pop open ur m14x and check to see if you have abundant dust? I know it sounds stupid but sometimes heat can be from something as silly as that. If you do, by some pressurized air from the local hardware store and blow it out

Hi mmskate13,

Did pop my hood yesterday and found things to be clean.... There was also enough movement on the fan to suggest that it was wroking without being blocked... Thanks for the nifty insight though, I will keep an eye out for dust in the future! :)

Lots happened since yesterday.... After another session of gaming (30 mins BF3 MP), the max temp was 90 deg at no OC!! :amazed: something was definitely wrong, so i contacted AW support right away.... The guy was nice and courteous, and he made me install bios A05 (had A03). Ran a few benchmarks (using unigine Heaven) and all came out to be well... After the call had another session of gaming (30 mins BF3 MP), it gave me max temp of 84 with turbo boost! :Banane44: and, with StevenX's method (disabling turbo using Throttlestop) I got temps of 84 for sessions of 45 mins! Thank you again StevenX! :)

Curious as to how i got lower temps with A05... As i read somewhere, that although it adds more "steps" to the fan, it does result in an increase in temps...

On a side note, ninjahunter, stevenX, mmskate13 - can I add you guys to my friends list on Battlelog?? :D

@gladiator - as posted in a thread "somewhere in the Zeros and Ones that make up techinferno" my handle is XcessiveForce33.

Feel free to add me and your welcome to join the sessions Im in but as Brian will tell you a lot of times im so focused I may not even know your on my team for a while.

haha @gladiator i would but i don't have BF3, and i won't have it till Christmas. You can add me on Origin though, (won't have any games there till Christmas lol) my name is 'mmskate13' surprised? and the same goes for steam.

Steam games include Skyrim, No More Room in Hell, L4D2, Borderlands, and Portal. I also play Minecraft.