GTX 780M custom vbios problem

sam_1

i asked this in this forum in a separate thread, but thought of making a new thread to address the problem quickly.

I have a Clevo P157SM ( Xenom X157) laptop with GTX 780m, recently i had this strange problem of hitting pwr cap showing in GPUz while playing farcry3 and cod ghost, which sometimes made the game stutter for a second or two, so i read up and decided to go with svl7 custom vbios . I flashed it successfully, and got a lot of options in nvidia inspector as expected, but ran into a more weird game freeze issue, which nearly ruined the gameplay, its as simple as the game used to freeze for a second and then go normal, very annoying in firefights, i tested with other games and the issue was still there. Hence its evident that it was because of the mod vBIOS somehow, i stocked it back and issue was gone. Now with the custom bios i never did any pwr cap but this problem.

Now my query is, have i done something wrong, or the clevo bios is not compatible at all, is there some issue with the GPU itself, ( i found none in the last 6+ months) , or something anything that could be wrong with the total process? i am very eager to use this modded vbios but cant due to this stupid problem. Please help me out with some insight or possible debugging. I assure that there was no throttling of the GPU for any abnormal temp, i always had 83-87 load temp at all circumstances modded or not.

i asked this in this forum in a separate thread, but thought of making a new thread to address the problem quickly.

I have a Clevo P157SM ( Xenom X157) laptop with GTX 780m, recently i had this strange problem of hitting pwr cap showing in GPUz while playing farcry3 and cod ghost, which sometimes made the game stutter for a second or two, so i read up and decided to go with svl7 custom vbios . I flashed it successfully, and got a lot of options in nvidia inspector as expected, but ran into a more weird game freeze issue, which nearly ruined the gameplay, its as simple as the game used to freeze for a second and then go normal, very annoying in firefights, i tested with other games and the issue was still there. Hence its evident that it was because of the mod vBIOS somehow, i stocked it back and issue was gone. Now with the custom bios i never did any pwr cap but this problem.

Now my query is, have i done something wrong, or the clevo bios is not compatible at all, is there some issue with the GPU itself, ( i found none in the last 6+ months) , or something anything that could be wrong with the total process? i am very eager to use this modded vbios but cant due to this stupid problem. Please help me out with some insight or possible debugging. I assure that there was no throttling of the GPU for any abnormal temp, i always had 83-87 load temp at all circumstances modded or not.

Define : a more weird game freeze issue. Is it a longer freeze or something else? Also I would just add that 87C is a little on the hot side, it sounds like a bottleneck in the system or the Video card throttling due to heat. Where the fans at full throttle?

To me this sound like driver issues... try to pdate your drivers and come back!

• 2 weeks later...
this is why i bought a second PSU and linked them together with the Clevo AC-100 power adaptor. so instead of 330w for my NP9380-S, i now have 660W running to it.

im running the same rig but i have no need for two bricks...atleast i dont think i do,,,,,, why do you need so much power?

• 4 weeks later...

because i have my computer overclocked and added power draw helps keep everything in check. i overclocked the vbios more, and the cpu more. im also making use of all 4 hard drive slots, and have a nice little led setup on the exhaust of the notebook.

the gpus take about 100w per gpu, and the cpu requires about 50-75w. that doesnt leave very much play for everything else. when you think about the lcd screen, hard drives, backlit keyboard, ect