Y500 8gb -> 16gb or 12gb unmatched?

Uberperson

Hey guys,

I do a lot of video editing and rendering, currently I am using the single 750m 8gb version with a SSD as my main and a 2nd SSD in my ultrabay for editing.

I was thinking about upgrading my ram from 8gb to 16gb or possible just taking out one of the 4gb and putting in an 8gb to equal 12gb total unmatched. I know generally it is a good idea to not mix ram, and I am slightly annoyed that Lenovo gave me 2x4 instead of 1x8 :/. I sort of want to avoid spending a ton on ram and then having 8gb sitting around. What do you guys think about mixing ram and what are your experiences?

I am okay with 8gb, but when I render a long project I tend to want to use my laptop for other things and still let Premiere Pro eat as much ram as it needs.

Thanks,

My one friend has a Y580 and he added an SSD in place of the disk-drive, added a stronger wifi card as well as upgraded his ram from 8gb to 16gb. He uses Photoshop a lot for his drawings and he likes to have a lot of tabs in Google Chrome open simultaneously. Now that he upgraded his ram, he can have 3 Photoshops open, 100 tabs in Google Chrome, Battlefield 4, and Creo/Auto-Cad open and only use about 60-70% of his ram. So you definitely should upgrade to 16gb (keep it the same for simplicity) if you're doing a lot of video editing and of the such.

i will agree the more ram the better...that's what I always say. I have the lenovo y500 and im thinking about upgrading it to 16gb of ram since i use Photoshop, illustrator, and vector works usually simultaneously.

True i work with PS and AE on my y580 i used on start 8GB of ram then it was not enough i chose 16 and it works now perfectly :) even with 3d like maya.

i will agree the more ram the better...that's what I always say.

Well you can't say it's true in general just because it might be true for you. Most people won't benefit from 16GB of RAM. For average Joe it would be better to buy a good SSD instead.